Silver Knee Buckle info?

DeepBeep

I found this Silver Knee Buckle (I believe) with no markings. It's about 1-1/2 inches by 2-1/2 inches. Any idea of a date?

Attachments

• silverB.jpg
    silverB.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 520
I am a newbie, so I can’t help with dating this, but what a wonderful find! Well, done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a Shoe Buckle. Knee buckles are flatter and narrower parallel with the pivot.

Size and style would indicate mid-1700's.

ID help:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100414174830/http://www.netmarshall.co.uk:80/buckletitlepage.htm

From the text in link:
"From 1740-1790 buckles weighing less than ten pennyweights were exempt from hallmarking."
"Oval to round - 2-3 inches are more common from the 1750's. "

This would be a reasonable date range.

ten pennyweight = 0.54 oz. Does this buckle weight less than this?

It is plain but very nice being silver.

Last edited:
better info

Thanks for the help! It measures 1-3/4 x 2-1/4" and weighs about 0.5 oz.

Attachments

• KFarms1-2020C.jpg
    KFarms1-2020C.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Noop. For sure 18th century two piece buckle. In that era they had iron bars which corroded away.
I will look for a match.

Looks like silver plate to me. Whats the back look like?

Hard to tell from photo.

OP needs to examine closely and file a small part to see if the inside is silver.

Noop. For sure 18th century two piece buckle. In that era they had iron bars which corroded away.
I will look for a match.

Yep, that is also my conclusion as per my post above.

Definitely Silver. It was tested by a Coin/Jewelry Dealer.

Lower left corner of first pic looks like base metal coming through. Some of these had a verythick layer of applied silver over them. Either way its late 18th century anda nice find

that's just dirt in the scratches. Some scratches are fairly deep with no corrosion (from a base metal).

Back
Top Bottom