Historical Map Websites

Dirty Nails

Elite Member
Does anyone know of good websites to find and research old maps? For example, I live in the Western Branch area of Chesapeake, VA. I'd love to know what the area looked like around 1900. Has the wooded area behind my house always been wooded? I've researched the town's website and some Library of Congress records, but I'm not finding anything helpful. Thanks!

Does anyone know of good websites to find and research old maps? For example, I live in the Western Branch area of Chesapeake, VA. I'd love to know what the area looked like around 1900. Has the wooded area behind my house always been wooded? I've researched the town's website and some Library of Congress records, but I'm not finding anything helpful. Thanks!
Historical aerials has aerial imagery for a number of areas available for free if you can tolerate the watermark. In my area, at least, the imagery dates back to 1954. Other than that I usually google "old plat maps" for the desired area.

^^^^^^
What they said, PLUS, don't assume that every map that's useful to you will be online somewhere. A visit to your local library (the main library is best, if there are smaller branch libraries in that city or town). Many libraries have a "Historical Room" with restricted access, so fragile books and maps are not out in the open for general public use, theft or abuse (i.e., kids with sticky fingers, etc). Ask the reference librarian if their facility has such a room for researchers. If yes, expect there to be an access "sign-in/sign-out" log which lets them know who was in the room, and when. Here's where your cellphone camera comes in very handy, as you can take photos of the documents or map sections that interest you without needing to spend a bunch of quarters feeding the copy machine. Actually, many items in these rooms are too large or too fragile to be copied at a photocopier. Before signing out, review any cellphone pictures to be sure you captured what you needed AND that they were in adequate focus. Also, once home send the photos to your computer as a backup set.

Now, when you are in the field, getting close to your targeted area, you can pull out your handy dandy pocket reference library (cell phone) and have what you need at your fingertips.

Good luck !

^^^^^^

What they said, PLUS, don't assume that every map that's useful to you will be online somewhere. A visit to your local library (the main library is best, if there are smaller branch libraries in that city or town). Many libraries have a "Historical Room" with restricted access, so fragile books and maps are not out in the open for general public use, theft or abuse (i.e., kids with sticky fingers, etc). Ask the reference librarian if their facility has such a room for researchers. If yes, expect there to be an access "sign-in/sign-out" log which lets them know who was in the room, and when. Here's where your cellphone camera comes in very handy, as you can take photos of the documents or map sections that interest you without needing to spend a bunch of quarters feeding the copy machine. Actually, many items in these rooms are too large or too fragile to be copied at a photocopier. Before signing out, review any cellphone pictures to be sure you captured what you needed AND that they were in adequate focus. Also, once home send the photos to your computer as a backup set.

Now, when you are in the field, getting close to your targeted area, you can pull out your handy dandy pocket reference library (cell phone) and have what you need at your fingertips.

Good luck !
This is a really good idea!

^^^^^^

Good luck !

Yep in college I was a research assistant for a professor and larger maps are very likely to be damaged by someone trying to Xerox them.

Yes it is amazing what our cell phones have replaced and made life easier for us.

I even use it to take photo's of maps I find on the Internet for later field use. Just make the image as large as possible on your screen without it going fuzzy and snap a picture with your sell phone. Do the same with my spread sheet with 800 finds and corresponding TID numbers I have accumulated for my 800.

Back
Top Bottom