Homeowners insurance and wood stoves.

amc rulz

Forum Supporter
Try and get insurance. My woodstove was professionally installed and my new ins co. doesn’t like the stove pad, which is installed to manufac’s specs. I recently changed ins companies after 20 years and no claims, to save $. Anyone else had to deal with this?

We had a problem years ago our insurance company would not insure us because the wood stove was 10 years old. We had to replace it then the same problem as you our hearth did not meet the current fire code but it met the standard for the woodstove. The company that installed the woodstove modified the stove pipe to push the stove back 1" to meet the fire code.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

My house was built in ‘89, we bought it in ‘06, had the wood stove already, most homes around here do, don’t recall any issues with insurance, got worried a bit about wildfires and getting dropped though last couple years...

My house was built in ‘89, we bought it in ‘06, had the wood stove already, most homes around here do, don’t recall any issues with insurance, got worried a bit about wildfires and getting dropped though last couple years...
We didn’t either for 20 years, until we changed ins co’s and had to provide pictures.

I say Keep Shopping.. If you are already having issues with your "new" Insurance company then find another.. I have a wood stove and My semi new Insurance company ("Your in good hands") never even mentioned it..

You won’t find out how good your insurance co. is until your house burns.
Exactly
That's when you find out that if you failed to notify them your policy is nul and void.

Exactly
That's when you find out that if you failed to notify them your policy is nul and void.

Failed to notify then what?

When I bought my house, my insurance co guy came out and looked the place over, mainly because we’re in the forest.

Failed to notify then what?

When I bought my house, my insurance co guy came out and looked the place over, mainly because we’re in the forest.
Adding or changing a woodstove. Questions asked now how many cords of wood do you burn in a season? Do you store wood inside your house? Is your chimney cleaned by a certified WETT technician? A certificate is issued by the technician for the insurance company, they don't always ask for it each year but do ask was it cleaned by a certified technician.

Back
Top Bottom