Anyone remember Wally Taber?

Schweddy

Elite Member
My inspiration for metal detecting was Wally Taber. He is mostly remembered for his African safaris which he filmed and travelled the country giving presentations at school auditoriums. My father took me to one of his shows back in 1984 and one of the presentation segments was on metal detecting/treasure hunting. As a 13 year old this was mind blowing to me. He and his friends were finding old coins and gold rings galore. After the show I hounded my dad for weeks until he finally caved in and bought me a Garrett Groundhog. I took that thing across the handle bars of my bike to every old farmhouse within miles of me. Never found much, but that lit a fire that still burns today. Almost immediately I got my buddy hooked too. He also was hooked for life. I got back in contact with him a year ago to find out he still detects and we've gone detecting together a handful of times since. He was even on the forum here- coinrex. Anyhow, I was just curious if any other members saw that Wally Taber show back in the 80's and if it also inspired you to pick up the hobby. Thanks for reading.

Back
Top Bottom