***Cache Hunting Old Barn***

SeekandDestroy

Was wondering if anyone had any tips on hunting an old dirt floor barn...also which corner of the foundation they might have put coins or valuables for good luck when building the barn? Thanks will post any finds here...the barn was built in 1884.

Attachments

• 81B34595-6B22-4CAC-AEF6-E3AAD1B7BDDA.jpg
    81B34595-6B22-4CAC-AEF6-E3AAD1B7BDDA.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 851
Last edited:
Hate to burst your bubble but detecting inside old barns in my opinion is a waste of time. Maybe around it for some dropped items. The idea that people hid coins is by and large a myth . I’ve hunted in many foundations of old barns near homesite cellars and found find few coins let alone any hidden coins. But I sure find a lot of horse and oxen shoes!

+1 on that. You don't hide coins and valuables if you don't have them to begin with. Farmers for the most part especially small farmers don't have money they can just squirrel away.

The best I’ve done is a large cache of late 1800’s blob top sodas and beers on the second floor hay mow. Some were gallon-sized.

But it was common for Mason jars, boxes of valuables to be buried beneath fence posts.

A member of my club hunted several times in a field without finding much. But there was a single fence post and every time he went by it it rang up but he believed it was likely a can or piece of metal wrapped around the post to protect the base. But finally He dug it and found a metal box packed with $270+ silver coins. Don’t remember the dates but they were old enough.

Not sure about coins but if there is a crawl space below the barn that would be a good place to check for bottles. When I was a teen years ago, I investigated the crawl space of my grandmother’s 1800’s-era home and found my first batch of cool old patent medicines.
Ahhhhh, the memories...

My barn, built in the 1920s, has a cellar at one end with a dirt floor. We refer to it as the root cellar because when we moved in there were old bins where potatoes and apples were stored. All the bins were in bad shape, so I cleaned it out, and detected the floor hoping to find a buried cache, but only found rusty nails. Good luck with yours.

well if we knew what was there, we would just go get it. but we dont so we detect and dig to see if anything is there. my point? you dont know until you look. my idea is never pass up a place to look, and look twice or more to make sure you did not get overly excited or hurried and miss something. i have been behind people in bottle digs and got artifacts they missed.

its a hunt first and foremost. a find-less day hunting is better than a day not hunting.

you got to get a coil to the soil to find it, or try to find it , and know if "IT" is even there.

GO FOR IT! GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU FIND SOMETHING.

oh... Masons look to the EAST ..... sunrise.

I was thinking ; the short answer to the question being asked is : Have you or anyone who you know well enough made a buried “ cache” under the garage or shed ? Probably not.

Back
Top Bottom