Nokta impact vs anfibio. Vs minelab equinox

2108silver1

From my research for a great coin machine the impact still seems to hold its ground. Any users any thoughts. I have been swinging a nox 600 for several years. Coins are few and far between here. I am considering an impact or anfibio. Need a real good deep coin only unit

My hunting buddy or two uses an equinox also . I know no one using of the 2 I know that uses a nokta. I feel going behind or ahead of them with this different machine may help me as we know they always produce different results

Impact

I've had my Impact for a long time and love it.
It's got a lot of customizable settings and aftermarket coils. It's so versatile.

12 different modes x 3 different frequencies, plus complete customizable audio.

I use the 13" Mars Discovery, the 7" concentric, and the 7.5x4 little football coils.

I also use an Equinox 600 and find that the 2 detectors compliment each other very well.

Put the 13" coil on and put it in Deep or DI4 mode in 5khZ and it's a DEEP coin sniffer.

Put the little football coil on in DI3 mode and 20kHz and it's fantastic in the trashiest locations.

It's a great value with its current low cost!!

I've had an Impact and I thought it was a pretty good detector. Dave e is pretty much spot on about the Impact. I went from the Impact to the Nox 800. I have to say though the 800 is a much better detector than the Impact in my opinion. I believe your 600 is a deeper machine than the Impact. I know with the stock coil on the Impact I was never impressed with it's depth.

I know a guy who had an Anfibio, and after awhile he got a Nox 800. He thinks the 800 is a better detector. Based on the stock coil that the Impact and Anfibo come with the Anfibio is deeper. Actually with stock coils the Simplex is probably deeper than the Impact. I wouldn't say any of the Nokta/Makro units were any more of a coin machine than either 600 or 800 Equinox.

Nokta/Makro makes some solid detectors, but I personally think if your swinging the Nox 600 none of the Nokta/Makros are going to increase your finds one bit. Just my thoughts.

2108silver1: said:
From my research for a great coin machine the impact still seems to hold its ground. Any users any thoughts. I have been swinging a nox 600 for several years. Coins are few and far between here. I am considering an impact or anfibio. Need a real good deep coin only unit

My hunting buddy or two uses an equinox also . I know no one using of the 2 I know that uses a nokta. I feel going behind or ahead of them with this different machine may help me as we know they always produce different results
Admittedly, I am quite fond of several Nokta and Makro devices, and have been sine the FORS CoRe hit my hands in early January of 2015. Very solid build quality, excellent adjustment functions and in-the-field performance, time after time after time. Use the best settings, munt the best coil for the task-at-hand, then hunt in a slow and methodical manner to cover the area and the results can be impressive. So impressive that within 24 hours after I got my CoRe I started thinning out most of my many other detectors. By late June to July, only a few of my all-time favorite detectors remined, along with my FORS CoRe and the Makro Racer.

Most of my hunting takes place in really challenging, dense-debris locations that abound with Iron Nails and other ferrous debris and unmasking in a must. Needed? A very good smaller-size coil to best handle working in and amongst very close Iron Nails, and my CoRe and Racer with the smeller coils easily out-hunted other top-end models I had at he time. T2 & F75 w/5" coils, MXT Pro w/6½" coil, F19's w/5" coils, etc., etc. They didn't keep up.

January of 2016 I was honored to get a prototype that eventually was named the FORS Relic, and at the same time the Makro Racer 2. The Relic became my #1 old-site hunting tool, closely followed by the CoRe. The Racer 2 bumped the original Racer and could be used in those sites, but I made it more of my urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting device .... until

January of 2017 I got ther 'test' Impact device and liked what it ofered. The new small elliptical coil worked OK or many urban Coin Hunting places, but fell sort in several old ghost towns we hunted, and didn't match the performance of the other Nokta & Makro devices with h 4.7X5.2 or 5" DD coils. Quickly after they realized that tough test I did with a good detecting buddy, hey went to work on accessory coils and the first and needed was a 5' DD. But they also made a 7' Concentric that worked on the Racer series and the Impact.

I knew I wanted the 5" on a spare rod should I need it for the really challenging sites, but the Impact w/7" Concentric coil became my main-use urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting device and was a support unit for my CoRe ad Relic.

Like a lot of us in this great sport, and as I have done through the 56+ years I've been detecting, I have acquired other makes and models since I had a lot of detectors stolen from my vehicle in October of '17, one of which was my Impact and all of the coils I had for it.

So I have tried a lot of detectors, and some have remained in my regular-use Detector Team. I had the Multi-Kruzer, Anfibio 19, Anfibio Multi, a few XP ORX, and Equinox 800, and many more. One that I have held onto because I like the weight and what it can do is the Garrett Apex. It works quite well and is mainly a 'cross-over' detector for me, mainly for Coins & Jewelry but workable for most of my Relic Hunting sites.

Fast forward to today, your inquiry, and my current and now up-dated Detector Team. Gone are all the models I have mentioned above, with the exception of the CoRe w/'OOR' DD, Relic w/5" DD, a 2nd Relic w/5X9½ DD, an Apex w/5X8 DD and another with the 8½X11 DD and a Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX that each sport a 6" Concentric.

All the rest are gone or listed for sale or trade. But I just added three more detectors this week.:?: Why? Because I'm old and falling apart. My health limitations have really cut in on my ability to get out and hunt more than a very short while. Been using a cane since March of '93 to get around, and just in the last 9 months things have made it even tougher.

But I sat down about a week or two ago, pondering all the many decades I've been detecting, what detectors I have and am hanging onto, and though about those I have had, really enjoyed THE MOST and that I missed and wanted to add back into my Detector Group. I'm not interested in anything that might be coming out other than the Nokta / Makro SMF, so I don't plan on any new future shopping.

There were only three detectors that I really enjoyed and wished to have back in my hands. One was a Tesoro Inca because that unit, that came out in July of '83, made pronounced difference in my serious Relic Hunting and found me a lot. The second detector I enjoyed using a lot, even though it had a weakness or two, was the White's MX-5. It was my last serous Coin & Jewelry Hunting and 'fun' 'USA' detector to use before I made more changes.

The 3rd? A Nokta Impact, and I just received my brand new Impact and desired coils and accessories yesterday!:clapping: I was up late last night, after it's 7PM arrival, getting it all together, checking out the coils I ordered and mounting my favorite, then slowly walking through all the adjustment settings that I can best recall using.

I have mounted my favorite main-use coil, the 7" Concentric, as the Impart is going to be my primary-use Urban Coin Hunting detector, and that coil worked very well on it before. The Impact has modes i don't use, but it does have four modes that I DO rely on for most of my detecting.

Search coils: With the decades I have enjoyed this great sport, I have found, and continue to find, the vast majority of my old coins and trade tokens in the surface to 4" depth range, and a 'deep' coin for me in down to 5", 6" and on a rare occasion maybe an honest 7" to 8". Very, very seldom any deeper. Why? because I hunt trashier sites than mask the ability to get any deeper, and in all honesty, most of the locations I search targets just have not ended up being covered by a lot of dirt, rocks, leaves, bush or whatever. My chosen locations, and that is the key to our success, call for smaller-size coils and the ability of the detector and coil to unmask those partially, hidden targets.

One thing I have found through the years is it is best to be a 'follower' more than a 'leader'. Yes, you might luck upon a nice site with a detecting buddy or two an want to 'lead-the-way' and let them follow the path you've travelled, and maybe, just maybe, you'll luck upon a nice old find before they do. However, I much prefer to be a 'follower' and go behind others. Let them take on some of the trash but also hunt too quickly or inefficiently such that they miss some keepers. Then, as a 'follower', I can sure feel a lot more satisfaction if I am the one who can boast about a nice find back where they have been. Better than being the one who finds out they didn't do such a great job of searching a site. :roll:

There is no need, either, to part with your EQ-600 just to get any other detector. Instead, just add one that you feel might 'complement' the other, and for me, and having a lot of time on the Impact in the past, I feel it is one of the more capable detectors on the market, providing a good selection of search modes and adjustment features. I obviously like it better than the Equinox and Anfibio I have used. And if I wanted a larger-size coil, I'd look for something like the round-shaped 11" which I prefer than the standard 7X11 that's been popular with may makes and models for a lot time.

Sorry to ramble, but I have to support the Impact as a very good decision. It proved itself to me well enough that I just invested in a brand new unit and desired coils.

Monte

I missed the last part of your post about going behind your buddies with a different detector. So yes it's possible you might find something behind them using say the Nokta Impact.

When I had my Impact using the small football shaped elliptical I found several silvers behind guys who had been over and over a spot with their Etracs and a few other detectors.

The Impact with that small coil is very good. I don't know exactly how deep it will go. I never found anything with it much over 4"-5", but it's a very good combination for re-hunting spots that have been detected with strictly one type of detector.

Thank you monte

Thank you for taking the time to answer in depth my question. I appreciate your response and the years you have detected add greatly to its value to me.

longbow62: said:
I missed the last part of your post about going behind your buddies with a different detector. So yes it's possible you might find something behind them using say the Nokta Impact.

When I had my Impact using the small football shaped elliptical I found several silvers behind guys who had been over and over a spot with their Etracs and a few other detectors.

The Impact with that small coil is very good. I don't know exactly how deep it will go. I never found anything with it much over 4"-5", but it's a very good combination for re-hunting spots that have been detected with strictly one type of detector.
To be honest, I have always enjoyed the opportunity to hunt behind others. It helps insure I am not going too quickly, improves my patience level while encouraging better coverage with good over-lapping technique, thus it also helps me to better-learn a detector / coil combination.

Oh, and I generally find stuff, too! ;) Often the "other guy, or gal," is using a more expensive detector, or a bigger-size search coil, and they also do not overlap, or actually do not even come close as they advance their coil too far on reverse-direction sweeps and miss a lot of ground.

Sometimes I might be using one of my own higher-end and more featured detectors, such as a CoRe, Relic, Apex or Impact like I use now. But more often-than-not I llike to intentionally grab a Tesoro unit just to help point out how well they can work, too.

I did like that 4X7.5 elliptical coil on the Impact for a lot of urban Coin Hunting. It worked well, but in the very tough Iron Nail challenged ghost towns and other old places I hunted, the 5" DD was clearly the superior performer. It is nice when we have the option of selecting a particular for the places we like to hunt.

Monte

Last edited:
Weatherproof

Monte from your experience is the control housing etc weatherproof. If starts to mist or sprinkle will the machine be at risk.

Monte from your experience is the control housing etc weatherproof. If starts to mist or sprinkle will the machine be at risk.
Like I tell folks, I'm not weatherproof so I don't like hunting in the rain .... if I can help it. But No, I never had an issue with the Impact, or any of the detectors I've owned, because they are well designed, and in some cases, like with the Impact or my CoRe or Relic, I bought the weather or environmental covers for them.

Often I have been caught in a sudden thunderstorm or just a pop-up shower when out hunting some of the ghost towns, homesteads or other old sites in several western states. I used to be a fair distance from my vehicle or a natural shelter, so protecting my detectors has been important to me.

Monte

A few examples of one of the reasons why I do:​
longbow62: said:
Very often I make it a point to choose the time and location I "hunt-behind" because it is to help prove a point to someone as an example of things I have said, to try and help them improve their skills and thinking when they reach a search location. Here are some examples, and keep in mind these were mostly newcomers to the sport or those with less experience.:

** 1983 .. Guy with his new Fisher 1260, standard coil, who had a bad habit of sweeping too fast and not overlapping at all. Old grade school with all the front lawn area tilled up and ready to groom and sod. That day I used my Inca w/7" Concentric coil and after following him on just two E/W passes I had recovered several old One Cent coins and then a nice Barber Quarter.

** Same guy & same detectors, same town where I lived in. Vacant lot behind City Hall where there had been a house built in the early 1880's. In this case we gridded it out for club members to hunt in about 6'X8' grids. My intent was to re-hunt grids whenever the individual said their grid was 'cleaned out' and the wanted a new grid.

He did well, finding a 1914-D Wheat Cent, so he was sure he covered it well before asking for a new grid. Walking behind him, Inca in hand :yes:, and passing through his grid I got a good hit. Unplugged my headphones so he could hear the 'beep' and he pivoted around and exclaimed 'What!' While from about 2" or so I recovered an 1880' Indian Head Cent. He changed his mind and kept hunting.

** old city park in Portland. I had mentioned, often, a need to check out "animal digs" to a friend using his Explorer II w/11" DD coil. We parked and got out near some trees and he headed off to the open hillside he wanted to search. Doing so, his path took him past about 7 or 8 "mole mounds" with their piles of fresh, damp, unearthed dirt. Me? I headed straight to those mounds when I saw he passed them with my XLT and 6" Concentric coil.

I had a good signal to recover from the 'mound dirt' when he came walking up to show me a 1906 Barber Dime he just found. I congratulated him, as I reached up to show the 1898 Barber Dime I just found. In that area of "mole mounds" I also recovered a few early Wheat-Back Cents and a thick, heavy silver bracelet from Tiffany's.

** My favorite ghost town in Utah and my good hunting buddy, new to the hobby by just a few years had her original Silver Sabre w/7" Concentric coil. There used to be a lot off holes left from bottle diggers from '55 they '58. Their tossed-out dirt surrounded the holes, and there is a lot of ferrous debris so I encouraged her to first search the bottom of the hole, then stand in there and hunt the sides.

I was hunting fairly close to keep an eye on her, or I should say on here detecting technique, and noticed she would go hole-to-hole and hunt the side slopes, but failed to search the bottom of the hole first. So I followed up going hole-to-hole and searching the bottom she ignored doing. My Inca and same-size 7" Concentric coil rewarded me twice with an old metal to ship, The Maine, about 3" long. The other was a Gold Bridge that only had one tooth in it, but it was a juice size piece of gold!

** Same gal, same detector, same old townsite, but this time she took a wandering path through the sage brush and ignored stepping down into a big digger's hole where there was a very fresh animal dig that threw out a lot of fresh dirt. Easy to spot, and as I was following her tracks I noticed she passed it up. Again, I had told here to always check them out.

I caught up with her a few minutes later and called her attention to what she didn't do ... then showed her the full-detail 1857 Seated Liberty Dime I found in that fresh dirt.

** 2017 working an old CCC Camp and Japanese Internment Camp and hunting a spot my detecting buddy just covered, hurriedly, with his FORS CoRe and small coil. I had my new Impact w/7" Concentric coil and found a nice full-date Buffalo Nickel and two Wheat Cents.

Yes, I do enjoy following others and these are but a few examples of why it is fun. And usually my rewards do not come because the others are using an inferior detector, but because the individual didn't use the best skills and search technique.

Monte

I agree with almost everything longbow said, the only caveat is that the Equinox can't use concentric coils.

It only uses DD coils, and some occasions the concentric design works better than DD.

FYI...
I've hunted in many rain storms and snow storms with the Impact and the environmental covers for them work great. Never had a problem.

Dave_e: said:
I agree with almost everything longbow said, the only caveat is that the Equinox can't use concentric coils.

It only uses DD coils, and some occasions the concentric design works better than DD.
Sad but true, and the fact remains that most detector makers today seem to have fallen into the Double-D trap and fail to supply consumers
with a good choice of Concentric coils as well.

Another reason I like to have and use an assortment of detectos and search coils to give myself the options.:

DD Equipped: Apex, CoRe, Relic, Impact

Concentric Equipped: Impact, Inca, Silver Sabre microMAX, Bandido II microMAX, MX-5

Keeps me prepared to take on any detecting task that confronts me, urban or remote.

Monte

Battery life

Monte how many hours would the batteries last. And if using rechargeable how long do they last.
Thank you

Monte how many hours would the batteries last. And if using rechargeable how long do they last.
After cleaning out a lot of excess notes with my move to Texas this summer, and getting a new computer, I no longer have all the notes I used to keep on the Impact and most other detectors. Having said that, I used to use only quality Alkaline batteries in all my detectors so I am going on 'memory recal' here that it was close to +/- 40 hours. I almost always used my favorite headphones, too, so that helped.

I didn't use to use NiMH rechargeable batteries so I can't answer that part. However, I put in the new Alkaline batteries that cam with the Impact and I started logging their run-time, then I'll replace them with some of the NiMH rechargeable I have now started using in my other AA powered detectors.

Down the road I am going to post an answer to the battery life.

Monte

Monte
I have gotten 2 days use out of the factory "Varta" brand batteries. The best NIMH batteries are the Panasonic Eneloop. I use them in my Impact/AT-Max and get phenominal life with them. They are the only batteries to use in camera flash units. If you have a BJ's or a Costco near you, the NIMH Duracell batteries are re-badged Panasonic Eneloops.

Thank you

Sounds good on battery life. I probably will invest in a rechargeable system . I appreciate all the help. I believe and has great advantages. I just started thinking about what a and machine was designed to do. Cover all the bases close as it can in one machine. Many detecting focuses. It seemed to me a great machine with unmasking ability and recovery and depth like the impact would serve me quite well detecting in suburban setting searching for coins only as I do. Impact is really looking good to me

mudwhale: said:
Monte
I have gotten 2 days use out of the factory "Varta" brand batteries. The best NIMH batteries are the Panasonic Eneloop. I use them in my Impact/AT-Max and get phenominal life with them. They are the only batteries to use try the newest set, all I camera flash units. If you have a BJ's or a Costco near you, the NIMH Duracell batteries are re-badged Panasonic Eneloops.
Are you saying you ONLY got 2 days with the Varta, or that you got two and still have some life?

I decided to go NiMH rechargeable because I had quite a few Varta rechargeable I hadn't sold off. They gave me good run-time in an MXT-Pro I had, as well as in my CoRe and Relic. When the Alkaline batteries in the Impact run down, I am going to use my newest set of Varta rechargeable, all powered up, and keep track of them.

Then I'll try my others. I have some white-colired Panasonic Eneloops and some that are blue-colored. 'Thank You' for the heads-up on those by Duracell. No Costco near me, just out of Abilene, TX, and I don't know what BJ's is. The closest thing would be a Sam's Club so I might check them out this weekend.

I also need to find 6 or 12 good AAA NiMH, as well as a few 9V rechargables.

Monte

Are you saying you ONLY got 2 days with the Varta, or that you got two and still have some life?

I decided to go NiMH rechargeable because I had quite a few Varta rechargeable I hadn't sold off. They gave me good run-time in an MXT-Pro I had, as well as in my CoRe and Relic. When the Alkaline batteries in the Impact run down, I am going to use my newest set of Varta rechargeable, all powered up, and keep track of them.

Then I'll try my others. I have some white-colired Panasonic Eneloops and some that are blue-colored. 'Thank You' for the heads-up on those by Duracell. No Costco near me, just out of Abilene, TX, and I don't know what BJ's is. The closest thing would be a Sam's Club so I might check them out this weekend.

I also need to find 6 or 12 good AAA NiMH, as well as a few 9V rechargables.

Monte

Monte
Yes, I got two full days and they still had 2 bars. I normally charge them when I get home after every use and always carry a spare set with me.

P.S. A BJ's is the same as a Costco or Sam's club.

mudwhale: said:
Monte
Yes, I got two full days and they still had 2 bars. I normally charge them when I get home after every use and always carry a spare set with me.
Thank You, good to know. When I could still put in long days of hunting with anything rechargable, I also had some functional battery life remaining. I also carry 4 or 8 extra batteries with me, using those 4-cell holders that snap shut. Keeps batteries from shorting out / draining.

And after a couple of days, or batteries down to two bars, I always charged them .... or swapped them out if alkalines.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom