• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Old County dog tag returns home.

Dan B.

Elite Member
I recently obtain a new permission and found my oldest dog tag ever. It is a 1919 which was issued from the county I live in. The funny thing is I actually work in the building this tag was issued from. So just for the giggles I brought it in and showed the guys at work. It's been a long time since that tag was in this building. I also posted a picture of the building I work in.

Attachments

• 20211023_202245.jpg
    20211023_202245.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 216
  • Wood County Courthouse- Bowling Green OH (2).jpg
    Wood County Courthouse- Bowling Green OH (2).jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 213
Great find, Dan! Coincidence - I actually found a 1919 Wood County dog tag a couple years ago, too, and it's also my oldest. It looks like yours pre-dates mine by a little bit - mine is numbered 3357 - and yours is also in better shape! Pretty interesting to see that thousands of dogs actually got registered in our rural county a century ago! I also gave mine a "homecoming" - I brought it and a couple others into the county auditor's office with the slim hopes that they might still have some records. Alas, they said they only keep dog license records for about 10 years - but they enjoyed seeing the variety of licenses from various eras nonetheless!

Attachments

• IMG_20211026_201057083~2.jpg
    IMG_20211026_201057083~2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 160
Great find, Dan! Coincidence - I actually found a 1919 Wood County dog tag a couple years ago, too, and it's also my oldest. It looks like yours pre-dates mine by a little bit - mine is numbered 3357 - and yours is also in better shape! Pretty interesting to see that thousands of dogs actually got registered in our rural county a century ago! I also gave mine a "homecoming" - I brought it and a couple others into the county auditor's office with the slim hopes that they might still have some records. Alas, they said they only keep dog license records for about 10 years - but they enjoyed seeing the variety of licenses from various eras nonetheless!

Now we are both challenged to find one older. You might be able to look up previous Property Owners to find out who live there during that year. It was good hearing from you. HH & GL

One heck of a cool building to work in and sweet dog tag. Great story overall. Congrats on the cool find!

Glad you enjoyed the dog tag. Yes it is a cool place to work in lots of History and interesting people that have walked the hallways. Jimmy Hoffa actually was married in this Courthouse his marriage license is hanging on the wall. Hopefully he's not buried out there.:laughing:

Very cool save and an awesome old courthouse looking building Dan. By chance have you been able to detect the grounds ? I love digging old dog tags and have been fortunate enough to find a few old ones myself. Congrats and nice pics. Mark

Very cool save and an awesome old courthouse looking building Dan. By chance have you been able to detect the grounds ? I love digging old dog tags and have been fortunate enough to find a few old ones myself. Congrats and nice pics. Mark

"By chance have you been able to detect the grounds ? "

X2

"By chance have you been able to detect the grounds ? "

X2

Unfortunately I have not been able to detect. Even though I am an employee I was told no. It is on the register of historical sites. But working here gives me access to some pretty cool history which helps me in my detecting around the county. That's a pretty good trade!:run1:

Back
Top Bottom