A question for you coinring makers

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
I get to the sizing and I seem to have issues with the ring developing a split. I heat it and cool it many times but it still seems to get a crack even with a little resizing. I have everything I need I think? Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7095.jpg
    IMG_7095.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 171
  • tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 214
If you dont file out a split directly after it forms, it could lead to a bigger crack. Also after you file the split out, you should definitely re-anneal. I'm guessing you already knew this, so I'm thinking it might have to do with the size hole you punch? I'm still relatively new at coin rings, but have got making rings from scratch down pretty good. I made this monster 10k cigar band20201212_162054~2.jpg over a half ounce of gold in that puppy! :shock: I made the silver one too, for my brother for christmas. Good luck, and keep us posted on your adventures please!

There is a guy on you tube that makes coin rings and he is the reason I got into coin ring making a year and a half ago. One of the first things I learned from him was to check for cracks after every bend and sand them down before making your next bend, and anneal often, I have made over 200 rings so far and have only broken one because I got in a hurry. You tube name is "CHANGE YOU CAN WEAR" A good one is called MAKING A 1864 HALF DOLLAR COIN RING.

If you dont file out a split directly after it forms, it could lead to a bigger crack. Also after you file the split out, you should definitely re-anneal. I'm guessing you already knew this, so I'm thinking it might have to do with the size hole you punch? I'm still relatively new at coin rings, but have got making rings from scratch down pretty good. I made this monster 10k cigar bandView attachment 477762 over a half ounce of gold in that puppy! :shock: I made the silver one too, for my brother for christmas. Good luck, and keep us posted on your adventures please!

Awesome work celledwellr!

If you dont file out a split directly after it forms, it could lead to a bigger crack. Also after you file the split out, you should definitely re-anneal. I'm guessing you already knew this, so I'm thinking it might have to do with the size hole you punch? I'm still relatively new at coin rings, but have got making rings from scratch down pretty good. I made this monster 10k cigar bandView attachment 477762 over a half ounce of gold in that puppy! :shock: I made the silver one too, for my brother for christmas. Good luck, and keep us posted on your adventures please!

I love those rings! Beautiful. Did you make those from your finds?

I love those rings! Beautiful. Did you make those from your finds?

Yes I did, melted it all down in my crucible, then into a mold. From there I use a rolling mill to flatten it out, bend it into a circular shape, solder the joint, and then the rest is really easy. Hardest part IMO is the soldering, very tough to get the solder to flow without heating the main piece too much and melting it. I've done that a few times too. Luckily if that happens, you can melt it all down and start again though. I appreciate your kind words, and my apologies to detector, it was not my intent to hijack this thread. Just trying to share some of my limited knowledge :yes: happy new year folks!

Awesome work celledwellr!

Thank you, and I have watched "Change you can wear" many times. He does some pretty awesome stuff, he customizes far beyond my capabilities though :laughing: coin ring making is not the cheapest hobby either, but then again, half the battle is the coins, and luckily in THIS hobby, we find plenty usually :lol: good luck in 2021! :cool3:

Back
Top Bottom