Well, I got it!

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
I just won a older Compass MD...a Yukon Coin Hustler 1...supposed to be in good operating condition.

Now to the meat of it....I need to find an owners manual for this puppy! I have looked around online and I found a .pdf but it will not let me download it! Any ideas? Anyone got one laying around or know where I can find it online to download?

Thanks for any help!

This 100 hertz detector and its later CH 2 have the ability to screen out iron and detect coin metal under a layer of nails etc. I saw a video demonstration of this ability and could not resist buying it when I saw it on ebay. This may be the answer for me when hunting around playground equipment and in very iron trashy areas like around old house sites etc.:D

The link is: http://www.scribd.com/doc/47639044/Compass2BManual

But ya got to be a member on Face book and I am not and will not subscribe!Anyone in here a member who could download it and then send it to me as an email attachement? If so, pm me and I will give ya my email addy!

Thanks!

HAHAHHA what a sneaky scribd link. They want $ to dload it but Ark's got smarts. Nobody should have to pay for that manual. Wait the 45 seconds and download it.

Link to manual

I was reading through an old Treasure Hunter mag from the early 1970s last night and low and behold!!!!! There is a two page ad for Compass detectors...and right there in the ad is the machine I bought....priced in the mid-50 dollar range! I paid less than that even with the shipping costs...
:excited::woot:

I am gonna take a pic of that ad and post it in this thread tomorrow! LOL Got the confirmation that my Compass has shipped from the seller so am anxiously waiting to get it in. Gonna read that printed manual tonite and highlight everything pertinent to this detector! The manual covers ALL the Yukon series detectors they had out at the time...about 8 of them.

OK for Sir Wally!

Here's the pics you wanted! :lol::lol::lol:

First is the detector, then the electronic box, then the 6 inch coil and then the size of the box compared to my hand...tiny!

One knob, the ground balance and the on/off combined.

YIKES! No one told me this thing was THAT LOUD! I probably gonna have to wear earphones with this unit as it will wake the dead! :lol::lol:

Attachments

• Compass Yukon Coin Hustler 1A.jpg
    Compass Yukon Coin Hustler 1A.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 922
  • Compass Yukon Coin Hustler 1B.JPG
    Compass Yukon Coin Hustler 1B.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,140
  • Compass Yukon Coin Hustler 1C.jpg
    Compass Yukon Coin Hustler 1C.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,036
  • Compass Yukon Coin Hustler 1D.jpg
    Compass Yukon Coin Hustler 1D.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,279
Here's the pics you wanted! :lol::lol::lol:

First is the detector, then the electronic box, then the 6 inch coil and then the size of the box compared to my hand...tiny!

One knob, the ground balance and the on/off combined.

YIKES! No one told me this thing was THAT LOUD! I probably gonna have to wear earphones with this unit as it will wake the dead! :lol::lol:

Wow thats cool. How old is that thing?

Nostalgia

He said it's a higher freq machine than his I think. In this economy I couldn't see buying something that obsolete then trying to better my hunts with it. :lol:

Congrats on your new machine Newbieshooter! Seems like a step back, but heck, what do I know?:)

Digger you got some of my idea!

But for Ozark Detector, here is my reasoning and I did not purchase this machine for nostalgia! :lol::lol:

This machine has the ability to find coins masked by iron and steel. I found a video showing it working. The air test was done this way. User tuned the machine to give a slight hum...that's the way it is supposed to be set up. Then he took a handful of 16 penny nails and waved in front of the coil...as they passed by the machine went silent. The response to iron is to get quiet.

Then he placed a dime in his palm and covered it with the same batch of nails...passed by the coil and the machine gave a coin signal...low beep tone. This proves that a 100 Hz machine can find coins masked by lots of iron trash, like old nails etc.

Now to the practical nature of its use....After hunting any totlot with my regular machine, that cannot get closer than 12 inches to any of the metal posts and slides etc, I will then come back and hunt for those coins masked by the steel with this machine. It should be an easy and fast operation to pickup any coins missed by modern detectors.

I am all set and I shall soon see how well this works and how many, if any, coins I am missing! Might just pick up some unexpected gold too with this little "toy". :lol::lol:

PS: yes, there is an entire Forum of Compass owners, dedicated to keeping these machines and using them. Just goes to prove newer ain't always better. Compass brand was well known in the 1970s and was a major competitor of Garrett and the other name brands. They had 10 different models available, several of them being these 100 Hz machines...single band, very specific usage...not trying to be an all purpose, good for everything machine, like many of today's models. There are still folks out there that have multiple of these different Compass machines and ain't the least bit interested in buying a Minelab or other high $$$ machine!

Digger you got some of my idea!

But for Ozark Detector, here is my reasoning and I did not purchase this machine for nostalgia! :lol::lol:

This machine has the ability to find coins masked by iron and steel. I found a video showing it working. The air test was done this way. User tuned the machine to give a slight hum...that's the way it is supposed to be set up. Then he took a handful of 16 penny nails and waved in front of the coil...as they passed by the machine went silent. The response to iron is to get quiet.

Then he placed a dime in his palm and covered it with the same batch of nails...passed by the coil and the machine gave a coin signal...low beep tone. This proves that a 100 Hz machine can find coins masked by lots of iron trash, like old nails etc.

Now to the practical nature of its use....After hunting any totlot with my regular machine, that cannot get closer than 12 inches to any of the metal posts and slides etc, I will then come back and hunt for those coins masked by the steel with this machine. It should be an easy and fast operation to pickup any coins missed by modern detectors.

I am all set and I shall soon see how well this works and how many, if any, coins I am missing! Might just pick up some unexpected gold too with this little "toy". :lol::lol:

PS: yes, there is an entire Forum of Compass owners, dedicated to keeping these machines and using them. Just goes to prove newer ain't always better. Compass brand was well known in the 1970s and was a major competitor of Garrett and the other name brands. They had 10 different models available, several of them being these 100 Hz machines...single band, very specific usage...not trying to be an all purpose, good for everything machine, like many of today's models. There are still folks out there that have multiple of these different Compass machines and ain't the least bit interested in buying a Minelab or other high $$$ machine!

Looking forward to seeing your finds with it bud :yes:

do you have the guts to open the case up and post the internals? I'd love to see the electronics in it, hand soldered and all.

do you have the guts to open the case up and post the internals? I'd love to see the electronics in it, hand soldered and all.

Ok, here you are...and it is a 100 Khz machine...1 band. Enjoy Ark!

four images...one screw opens the box, internal battery is 1 9 volt.

Attachments

• Compass internal 01.JPG
    Compass internal 01.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,042
  • Compass internal 02.jpg
    Compass internal 02.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Compass internal 03.jpg
    Compass internal 03.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,035
  • Compass internal 04.jpg
    Compass internal 04.jpg