• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Garrett AT Pro

patcher

I bought a new AT PRO the first part of February this year. Probably have used it 25 hours total. It works just like it's supposed to I guess. But to me it's noisy and hard to pinpoint with. I prefer to use my old Garrett Grand Master Hunter CX III with a 4.5" sniper coil. I can't decide if I should buy a 4.5"sniper coil for the ATP or just give up on it. I really don't think there is anything wrong with the Pro. I'm just kind of thinking it's not the detector for me. Can't decide if I should spend more money on it or not...

If you do not have a 5x8 coil, that can make all the difference in the world.
Maybe you could borrow one from somebody to try?
Good luck, despite all the hype on the Nox, there are a lot of successful AT PRO hunters on this forum:p

How do you know it's working if it's not making noise? :?: Pinpointing can be a pain in trashy areas but a combination of the double d wiggle and lifting the coil a few inches usually finds the right spot pretty fast.

I don't use it all the time but in the heavy trash the 5x8 really helps.

+2 on the 5x8!

Note in the pic- the guy I bought mine from told me it pinpoints pretty much where the little crossbar is. So far it has been almost spot on, and I've had it since October 2017. I hardly ever take it off unless there is no trash or I have cleaned out an area.

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

Sorry, forgot to attach the file. LOL.
4dfb3d6559ecd39eabe138b5c92fca92.jpg

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

Thanks for all the responses. I believe I'll order a 5X8 coil, and cover this afternoon. I have found a good bit of clad, & some silver with the ATP. But I just don't have much confidence in it. Maybe a new coil, and more time with it, I will learn to like the detector.

I have 2 ATPros. The one I always grab has the 5x8 coil on it. I was at a site that I thought might have some older, deeper stuff a few weeks back so I brought the ATP with the stock coil too. After an hour, I switched back to the 5x8 coil. The ID was terrible in the iron with the stock coil. I was fooled into digging way more trash than usual, and knew I was wasting precious time. I was digging way more coins and far less coins with the 5x8. The stock coilwill be put away for another year or so until I need this lesson again!

Thanks for all the responses. I believe I'll order a 5X8 coil, and cover this afternoon. I have found a good bit of clad, & some silver with the ATP. But I just don't have much confidence in it. Maybe a new coil, and more time with it, I will learn to like the detector.

You need at least a good 50-75 hours to really appreciate the ATP me and my friends had much success. By the my 5x8 pin points in the center of the coil check and see if yours do, if you’re having problems pinpointing. Good luck hh marcuss

You need at least a good 50-75 hours to really appreciate the ATP me and my friends had much success. By the my 5x8 pin points in the center of the coil check and see if yours do, if you’re having problems pinpointing. Good luck hh marcuss

I advise you to go on YouTube and look up to ATP-pro videos and get some valuable tips good luck. HH. Marcuss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try 5by8 coil..pro mode..disc iron to 40 with audio off. Notch out whatever you like or notch nothing.
Its a great machine. Wiggle the coil for pinpointing.

I was using my AT Pro all the time. I put a 5 x 8 " coil on it and my finds were much more. I now use a Nox 600 now but my old friend AT Pro is always available too.

If you are having trouble pinpointing, try moving the coil off to the side, release the pinpoint button for a few seconds, then hold it, move the coil over the target try pinpointing again. You should now have a strong signal. You can also de-une the coil by holding the coil over the target, releasing the pinpoint button, then hold it again. It will now be easier to find the center of the coil over the target.

Have to agree with the 5X8 coil. Worlds of difference, especially in high trash areas. Also, if you're getting some unwanted noise/ chatter, ensure your coil connector is tightened. Learned this one the hard way. It can work itself loose. Also, ya can try a frequency change (F1-F4). This could help if there is something interfering. Give it more time. You will be pleased once you get it down...HH

In my opinion, if you don't like the machine get rid of it. Find something that trips your trigger. I had an At Pro, the thing made my arm ache and couldn't stand the audio. Don't get me wrong the At Pro is great machine, just wasn't the machine for me.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

I have the AT Pro.

I actually bought it after I bought a F75. I had used one on a hunt and really liked the feel and how it hunted. Didn't know what buttons I was pushing or why but it was finding stuff, and no one else was with their more expensive detectors. Now my other detectors hunt, and I love em. I use all three of them, just not all at once. I say you will miss the AT Pro if you let it go. If you hunt relics and trashy ground, it really does a decent job. The small 5x8 coil has better separation than the stock coil. Small coils, which ever one you decide will work. I do not take my 5x8 coil off, I use it mostly for trash and parks. I like the cam locks too. The main box has also given me no issues falling off like others folks.

Now I do not like the connectors for the coil cable or head phones. The face plate scratches too easily and I already need a new one. The head phones cord is too short and I end up rolling my ATP every time I dig a target with the head phones on. Now having bought 3 new detector bundle packages I will say Garret is stingy on the accessory's. No hat, digger, collection bag, t-shirt and such. Never had to buy that stuff when I paid above market price for my other detectors.

The head phones supplied are adequate. Battery's do not last as long as my other detectors. My garret PP is not waterproof. But again that stuff takes a beating and keeps on working. Nothing like my grey ghost, but they do the job. So there is the good bad and ugly. More good than anything I say.

I didn't like the stock coil...

And I replaced it with the 5 x 8 that everyone here is recommending. Since the vast majority of ATP users seem to prefer the smaller coil I'm wondering why the 5 by 8 is not the default coil that comes on the machine when you buy it.

Back
Top Bottom