• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

marked coins

pan4au

Elite Member
We all see marked coins while CRH. most are marked with permanent markers, painted, some are scratched. This one someone took time to mark this one I found yesterday. The reverse is also marked the same way

Attachments

• Marked coin.jpg
    Marked coin.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 170
I often leave halves and or $2 bills as tips.. When I leave this one.. They will definitely remember me........

Somebody was bored

:laughing::laughing: Thats exactly what I thought! "Some bored grandkid got ahold of GrandDads coin collection AND his sidecutters!" Lord know what else kind of experimenting he did around the house! It amazing the kind of damage a bored and inquisitive kid can do if let unattended for just a moment! Just the sight of this coin brings back some memories!

I remember...I have always gotten up early, one morning I got ahold of my old Man's handsaw..had to be 1964, I was five, this is my very first rememberance of using my Old Mans tools...Anyway, We lived in Lisle Illinois in a blue collar neighborhood...so I took this wonderful implement into the yard to look for something suitable to employ it on....and then, for some reason, curious, I started sawing on one outside corner of the house horizontally!....It was interesting what a simple saw could do in the hands of a small boy!...It was pleasant to observe! It sounded so cool! The siding at the time was cedar shake, I remember vividly the invigorating scent of fresh sawn cedar! Therefore, I settled into a comfortable pace, learning how to get the forces and angles right and not bind the blade, avoid the nails in the siding, etc...as all professional sawyers can attest...

It was so wonderful and interesting, I just kept at it to see if maybe I could saw the whole house in half!..., I nearly had one whole side completed before my old Man, after a hard week of work, waking up from a Friday night slumber, wondered Who in the Hell might be cutting away with a handsaw this early in the morning? .... :laughing:

Then, about a year later, (age 6) we had moved to Neosho Mo...A big ice storm came in one night and coated everything with a glorious sheet of frozen sparklement! The old Mans car was out in the driveway, fully engulfed, some sort of Ford Edsel I think, 4 door, baby blue, sitting there coated with an inch of ice!

The whole early morning world was glistening and beautifully ice encapsulated! So, I was up and out wandering around curious, since this was my first ice storm, evaluated the possibilities, and thought I'd do my old Man a favor...went into his shop, and found myself a neglected ball pein hammer, and commenced to de-icing his car with it! Oh the merriment and splendor of sheets of ice fracturing and cascading off his car like a calving glacier with every powerful two handed hammer blow! It was intoxicating! I felt so powerful wielding a hammer like some sort of juvenile Viking! Busting Ice and smiting my foes with a big old Thor hammer!! Just like I experienced with the saw a year earlier!

I nearly had the whole project completed before he woke up and wondered "Who in the Hell would be out making such a racket with a hammer this early of a morning?"

Yeah...after that, he tried to keep his tools locked up...but you know, with a kid around, theres really nothing you can do...Locks might buy a guy another half hour of sleep, but for any Kid interested enough, are pickable... Hell, just a simple shovel alone is good enough to keep a kid busy....Like that one time when I tried to dig to China, and hollowed out quite a hole out back near the clothesline...gave up after a good 5', "this will take me all day" I reckoned...So I decided to turn it into a 'Tiger trap' by covering it over with some twigs and such...Caught my Mom accidentally...she did do a good job of roaring like an enraged tiger for my excavational encouragement though, So I had the construct correct and was satisfied with its performance.....

Back then, we didnt have much to watch on TV...Just a great big interesting world to run around in and possibly access to some tools...You'd be surprised what an inquisitive and up early kid can do, even an 8yr old boy can start a chainsaw, or dig one hell of a hole in about 15 minutes!!

I'd sell that coin on Ebay!! Listed as an 'Aspiring Fathers Warning Coin!' Worth a lot of money! "Hey, Do you want your house sawed in half sideways? Do you like driving around in a car that has more dimples than Shirley Temple? Hood all dented in like a Caribbean steel drum? If you are gonna have kids, this is the least kind of trouble you can expect! Buy It Now! Keep your tools locked up! Girl kids are not a safe bet either...its amazing the calamities they will engender on an innocent 4" waste pipe plumbing, let alone a car....Its like hey..Yeah, little girls are cute an all...moreso than boys, but dont let that fool you for one moment! Trouble!

Yeah you dont have to worry about a girl ever sawing your house in half or digging you a Tiger trap, but theres other things just as surprising and awful!

Like Grandkids!...:laughing:

Last edited:
:laughing::laughing: Thats exactly what I thought! "Some bored grandkid got ahold of GrandDads coin collection AND his sidecutters!" Lord know what else kind of experimenting he did around the house! It amazing the kind of damage a bored and inquisitive kid can do if let unattended for just a moment! Just the sight of this coin brings back some memories!

I remember...I have always gotten up early, one morning I got ahold of my old Man's handsaw..had to be 1964, I was five, this is my very first rememberance of using my Old Mans tools...Anyway, We lived in Lisle Illinois in a blue collar neighborhood...so I took this wonderful implement into the yard to look for something suitable to employ it on....and then, for some reason, curious, I started sawing on one outside corner of the house horizontally!....It was interesting what a simple saw could do in the hands of a small boy!...It was pleasant to observe! It sounded so cool! The siding at the time was cedar shake, I remember vividly the invigorating scent of fresh sawn cedar! Therefore, I settled into a comfortable pace, learning how to get the forces and angles right and not bind the blade, avoid the nails in the siding, etc...as all professional sawyers can attest...

It was so wonderful and interesting, I just kept at it to see if maybe I could saw the whole house in half!..., I nearly had one whole side completed before my old Man, after a hard week of work, waking up from a Friday night slumber, wondered Who in the Hell might be cutting away with a handsaw this early in the morning? .... :laughing:

Then, about a year later, (age 6) we had moved to Neosho Mo...A big ice storm came in one night and coated everything with a glorious sheet of frozen sparklement! The old Mans car was out in the driveway, fully engulfed, some sort of Ford Edsel I think, 4 door, baby blue, sitting there coated with an inch of ice!

The whole early morning world was glistening and beautifully ice encapsulated! So, I was up and out wandering around curious, since this was my first ice storm, evaluated the possibilities, and thought I'd do my old Man a favor...went into his shop, and found myself a neglected ball pein hammer, and commenced to de-icing his car with it! Oh the merriment and splendor of sheets of ice fracturing and cascading off his car like a calving glacier with every powerful two handed hammer blow! It was intoxicating! I felt so powerful wielding a hammer! Busting Ice! Just like I experienced with the saw a year earlier!

I nearly had the whole project completed before he woke up and wondered "Who in the Hell would be out making such a racket with a hammer this early of a morning?"

Yeah...after that, he tried to keep his tools locked up...but you know, with a kid around, theres really nothing you can do...Hell, just a simple shovel alone is good enough to keep a kid busy....Like that one time when I tried to dig to China, and hollowed out quite a hole out back near the clothesline...gave up after a good 5', "this will take me all day" I reckoned...So I decided to turn it into a 'Tiger trap' by covering it over with some twigs and such...Caught my Mom accidentally...she did do a good job of roaring like an enraged tiger for encouragement though, So I had the construct correct...

I'd keep that coin!...thats a Kids work there!

Back then, we didnt have much to watch on TV...
And yet you lived to tell it.... lol

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

The whole early morning world was glistening and beautifully ice encapsulated! So, I was up and out wandering around curious, since this was my first ice storm, evaluated the possibilities, and thought I'd do my old Man a favor...went into his shop, and found myself a neglected ball pein hammer, and commenced to de-icing his car with it! Oh the merriment and splendor of sheets of ice fracturing and cascading off his car like a calving glacier with every powerful two handed hammer blow! It was intoxicating! I felt so powerful wielding a hammer! Busting Ice! Just like I experienced with the saw a year earlier!

Yeah...after that, he tried to keep his tools locked up...but you know, with a kid around, theres really nothing you can do...Hell, just a simple shovel alone is good enough to keep a kid busy....Like that one time when I tried to dig to China, and hollowed out quite a hole out back near the clothesline...gave up after a good 5', "this will take me all day" I reckoned...So I decided to turn it into a 'Tiger trap' by covering it over with some twigs and such...Caught my Mom accidentally...she did do a good job of roaring like an enraged tiger for encouragement though, So I had the construct correct...

Back then, we didnt have much to watch on TV...Just a great big interesting world to run around in and possibly access to some tools...

I'd sell that coin on Ebay!! A 'Warning Coin' to young haphazard aspiring Fathers! Worth a lot of money! "Hey, Do you want your house sawed in half you cheap bastard? If you are gonna have kids, keep your tools locked up! :laughing:

:laughing:
I don't recall getting into to much trouble with my father's tools, he included me in alot of projects when I was young. I DO however remember coloring on a nice piece of oak trim with a crayon when I was 4 or so. That's when I learned to use sandpaper because my dad made me sand all of the crayon of and smooth the finish out so he could refinish it and put it back up. I stopped coloring on the walls after that. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom