Token and an ugly IH

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
Did my normal stop at one of the abandoned "towns" on the way home from work. Manage 1 wheat, a Washington state Tax Token and a terrible looking Indianhead penny. Not too sure why the tax token was in Wabek, ND!?
As you can see I smoked the Injun with my shovel.... no loss there though. The ground was extremely hard and compact there which gave really dodgie signals.
48741a47b731b46db9c263341fa3d524.jpg
111349361aada486acdaa6dc9dbbc287.jpg
408984a3a7690c493290f1f246919a69.jpg
4ce068e1711459914b8c48e2a59d735d.jpg
66f6fec36a28a33c825b5319473d3058.jpg
0815f26bddc4dfc81a8575ca63f2d5b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Wow I live here in WA and I haven't found a tax token yet! lol. That was a long way from home. Congrats on the finds!

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

That’s one cool looking building, and man congrats on the token - I really want to find a “real” token some day!
Thanks man! It's an old school house from the teen's. I would have loved to dig a Wabek token but that wasn't in the cards. Gotta hit that old ground in those little old towns to get the good tokens. Good luck to ya!

Wow I live here in WA and I haven't found a tax token yet! lol. That was a long way from home. Congrats on the finds!

Thanks JaMo! I've found quite a few tokens in the last 5 years but they are normally local. Got one from the St. Louis World Fair and one from Minneapolis as well.

I wonder if those Washington Tax tokens were used in other states. I have found 3 or 4 of them in Utah.

I wasn't too disappointed with what I got..... I figured the place had already been detected so I wasn't planning on finding anything.

Awesome job nabbing another cool token! And thanks for posting a shot of the school - lots of character on that building, and it paints a vivid picture of where the finds came from.

Kind of a double edged sword when the building's still standing at a site - cool to see and leaves little doubt about where the "drop zones" might be, but unfortunately it's presence has been a beacon to anyone with a metal detector for the last 50 odd years, and they all knew where the drop zones were, too! Almost better off with a site where the building disappeared before detectors became common - more likely to go off people's radar. Still, it makes your hunt all the sweeter to be able to pull some nice goods out of a site that surely was hit many times before :cool:

Even if the Indian has seen better times its a great dig. The Token is awesome. Congrats! Trapper
Thanks Jack! I was kind of surprised to find the Indian..... had a heck of a time pinpointing it. That old ground out there is kind of hard on coins.

That Washington tax token is in nice shape. Most I've found don't look nearly as good!
I thought it was kind of crusty myself but still readable which kind of surprised me. I may try some dilute hydrochloric acid to get the crust off of it. That's what I used to use to get caliche off of arrowheads that I had found.

Nice job on that token, and always remember "any injun is a good injun", or something like that:p
Thanks Mat! That was kind of my thought as well. I don't come across them very often so finding them is pretty exciting.

Awesome job nabbing another cool token! And thanks for posting a shot of the school - lots of character on that building, and it paints a vivid picture of where the finds came from.

Kind of a double edged sword when the building's still standing at a site - cool to see and leaves little doubt about where the "drop zones" might be, but unfortunately it's presence has been a beacon to anyone with a metal detector for the last 50 odd years, and they all knew where the drop zones were, too! Almost better off with a site where the building disappeared before detectors became common - more likely to go off people's radar. Still, it makes your hunt all the sweeter to be able to pull some nice goods out of a site that surely was hit many times before :cool:
Yeah, I kind of thought I would find more but then again I had the fear of not finding anything. I'm thinking it's been hit maybe once for all the signals I was getting but you never know. It's sort of off the beaten path but still very excessable. I may go back and see if I can find anything else. There is a good sized lot there that the county owns but I don't know where the buildings used to be other than the school. My father in law said he used to play softball behind the school years ago as a kid back in the 60's. I didn't find anything from that time period though. The wheatie I found was a 1944. There's gotta be some more old stuff there!

Back
Top Bottom