The Equinox Line is the Best Sub $1000.00 All Terain Detector on the Market

Heck no! I pulled a Wheat at Settlers today, right in the center of a hot spot "we all" beat to death really hard over years. Way more other coils than mine, from other's machines than my Equinox, missed that one. Pinpointing ain't a snap with the Nox but I think that when the Nox unmasks missed coins here in spots like this...it is a keeper.

The Equinox KILLS in separation.

Exactly. Its unmasking ability alone attests to its value. As far as pinpointing and target ID , etc. a person just has to be willing to get off the baby food given by simpler detectors , there is more processing to be done by the user but the upside is that you are finding targets that are completely masked to many other detectors.

Lastly, I’ll do the test after hitting 100 hours on it. I detect about 40 hours a week so it won’t take long to get there.

All good tests need a measure of success and failure. So I’ll say up front that for me, if it squeaks out even one old target I’ll notch that in as a win.

Looking forward to hearing, wait, seeing some good results.

One thing I wonder is for people that say they have a hunted out area like a park or ball field. What would happen if they used a PI? On the average, PIs are more sensitive to small mass objects and deeper than VLF.

Looking forward to hearing, wait, seeing some good results.

One thing I wonder is for people that say they have a hunted out area like a park or ball field. What would happen if they used a PI? On the average, PIs are more sensitive to small mass objects and deeper than VLF.

Having used a PI for a couple years on the beach, I can definitely tell you that you’d be clearing all that iron out. It would be one constant ears worth of audio.

Exactly. Its unmasking ability alone attests to its value. As far as pinpointing and target ID , etc. a person just has to be willing to get off the baby food given by simpler detectors , there is more processing to be done by the user but the upside is that you are finding targets that are completely masked to many other detectors.

So in your opinion is the unmasking done by the processor speed or the fact that it is multi-frequency ?

Just to add drama....
Reposting my "Gold Chain Thread" -- definately not the NOX

The total length is 19.25". The big loops are a micro fine gauge but almost 1/8" wide while the majority of the chain is 1/16" wide loops. Acid test holds at 10k. With the help of a bud, we laid the necklace in a straight line on top of a 30" tall box and swung the coils over the box / chain. Keep in mind, I removed the clasp for the test.

With a coil sweep speed of about 1.5 sec / ft, and some major attention to *settings, the following depths were achieved:
  • NOX - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 3-1/2"
  • CTX - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 4-1/4"
  • Excal - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 4"
  • Surf PI - it can ID the necklace from 1 - 7". BUT it doesn't see the necklace at 0-1"
  • DP Pulse PI - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 8"
  • ATP - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 5"
  • AT (Carrot) - LOL, it hits solid at 3" and occasionally at 4"
  • Bounty Hunter Jr - max sens, yep, it hits up to 1.5"

Honestly, this is a silly post. Swing technique and conditions play such a huge factor in detector performance, that it almost makes this irrelevant.

Your test results sum up why I've tossed every non pi detector I've had into the classifieds. I used to have a cz21 8" that would smoke any ctx or gt i ever had depthwise hands down.

So in your opinion is the unmasking done by the processor speed or the fact that it is multi-frequency ?

The equinox has both , and in this case both work together well to unmask. The equinox has some shortcomings but this isnt one of them. Multi frequency handles ground conditions and iron but would probably be next to worthless without processing speed. Processing speed is great , but with single frequency it still is only processing what data the single frequency is reporting.....without the benefits of multi. Single frequency can have its benefits too at times and the nox also has that covered and the processing speed is still there. And adjusting the recovery speed to match conditions I can make the best use of the processing speed available.

But it does take time to uncover its abilities. Those who already decided they dont like the equinox have thrown the baby out with the bathwater because in two months or less of using it they were just barely getting started learning to use the machine.

There are two types of masking.

1. When a piece of junk metal is over the top of a good target, the detector can not see through the junk metal to see the good target.

2. When a piece if junk metal is in close proximity to a good target, the detector can not separate them and blocks them both.

The first one is understandable and is not the fault of the detector. No detector made can see through junk metal and see a good target. The only thing a person can do is to remove the junk in hopes of a good target being underneath.

The second is a function of how well a detector can separate good targets from bad targets in close proximity and accurately identify them. So most "unmasking" done is in reality, is the detector's ability not to mask.

The detector's ability to accurately ID more than one target and separate them by complex but fast processing and to have the ability to recover quickly between targets will greatly reduce the detector's masking effects.

Using multiple frequencies will also give the detector more info and more accurate info about what is in the ground. Having more accurate info for the detector to process will also reduce the masking done by the detector.

There are two types of masking.

1. When a piece of junk metal is over the top of a good target, the detector can not see through the junk metal to see the good target.

2. When a piece if junk metal is in close proximity to a good target, the detector can not separate them and blocks them both.

The first one is understandable and is not the fault of the detector. No detector made can see through junk metal and see a good target. The only thing a person can do is to remove the junk in hopes of a good target being underneath.

The second is a function of how well a detector can separate good targets from bad targets in close proximity and accurately identify them. So most "unmasking" done is in reality, is the detector's ability not to mask.

The detector's ability to accurately ID more than one target and separate them by complex but fast processing and to have the ability to recover quickly between targets will greatly reduce the detector's masking effects.

Using multiple frequencies will also give the detector more info and more accurate info about what is in the ground. Having more accurate info for the detector to process will also reduce the masking done by the detector.

Good post.

Ground and depth contribute to masking as well , all part of a big mess of variables that can help blend targets together , cause interference , or inaccurate target identification. Some ground is so bad that it causes a certain amount of masking all by itself.

Firs of all, than you for the comparative reply. I would agree that based on your hunting, that you have no need for the Nox.

It doesn't change my mind as I would factor salt water hunting into the equation and would therefore give the Nox the nod over the detectors listed giving up a little depth for the ability to use in salt.

Side note, I also agree that Minelab is really screwing the pooch on their slow rollout of their accessories.

BCD

I never said I have no need for the Equinox, because it is a great nickle detector. It is a good detector, it's just not what I call the best for everything. It has good points like most detectors. So far any detector I have tried, I would NOT call any of them the best detector made.

I never said I have no need for the Equinox, because it is a great nickle detector. It is a good detector, it's just not what I call the best for everything. It has good points like most detectors. So far any detector I have tried, I would NOT call any of them the best detector made.

Look at it a different way. Say you are not made of money. You get to pick one detector for all hunting conditions. For me that included salt beach. You have a 1000.00 budget and you buy new. Your pick is?

Look at it a different way. Say you are not made of money. You get to pick one detector for all hunting conditions. For me that included salt beach. You have a 1000.00 budget and you buy new. Your pick is?

YOU WIN! EVERYONE knows there is no other detector in that price range that is as versatile as the Equinox. You have land, fresh water beach, salt water beach, underwater fresh and salt.

So you are ABSOLUTELY right. Nobody can convince you there is another detector that will do EVERYTHING YOU want it to do. NOT YET ANYWAY.

With that being said, lots of folks do not need NOR want a detector that will do that. They are happy with what they own and use.

The Equinox has its place in my arsenal of detectors. BUT it cannot do what 6 of my machines can. Nor can it find a target as deep as some of them.

You do NOT have to be made of money to be able to afford a few detectors. EVERY dedicated water hunter out there finds enough to be able to buy a few different toys.

BUT as I stated before. You have the machine YOU want, others have the right to buy the machine they want. A person that lives in the middle of the states and sees the ocean once every 10 - 20 years has no need to go out and buy an Equinox when they already have a machine they are happy with.

YOU WIN! EVERYONE knows there is no other detector in that price range that is as versatile as the Equinox. You have land, fresh water beach, salt water beach, underwater fresh and salt.

So you are ABSOLUTELY right. Nobody can convince you there is another detector that will do EVERYTHING YOU want it to do. NOT YET ANYWAY.

With that being said, lots of folks do not need NOR want a detector that will do that. They are happy with what they own and use.

The Equinox has its place in my arsenal of detectors. BUT it cannot do what 6 of my machines can. Nor can it find a target as deep as some of them.

You do NOT have to be made of money to be able to afford a few detectors. EVERY dedicated water hunter out there finds enough to be able to buy a few different toys.

BUT as I stated before. You have the machine YOU want, others have the right to buy the machine they want. A person that lives in the middle of the states and sees the ocean once every 10 - 20 years has no need to go out and buy an Equinox when they already have a machine they are happy with.
You are just as passionate about preaching your point of view to the OP as he is about his view on this topic. Not sure how you don't see the irony in all your posts yelling your opinion in all CAPS lol.

Not sure why so many who don't have any answer to OP's request even bother posting in here to begin with??

Equinox threads have become a total waste of time on this forum. Other than the entertainment value of watching adult men argue like school girls I suppose.[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You are just as passionate about preaching your point of view to the OP as he is about his view on this topic. Not sure how you don't see the irony in all your posts yelling your opinion in all CAPS lol.

Not sure why so many who don't have any answer to OP's request even bother posting in here to begin with??

Equinox threads have become a total waste of time on this forum. Other than the entertainment value of watching adult men argue like school girls I suppose.[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The problem here is I don't really have a point EXCEPT folks keep trying to praise a stupid machine. I have never posted that my CZ's do better than the Excal, nor have I posted that I am a better detectorist because of my finds.

iF someone really wants a machine that will do land, fresh water, wet salt beaches and saltwater as far as I know there are only TWO choices. The Equinox and the CTX.

When I type in caps I don't consider it yelling. i think of it as emphasizing what I want to say. I think of yelling when your whole post is in caps and I never do that.

I am here to help others. PERIOD. Not cram any machine down someones throats. This is a hobby. For everyone to enjoy the way they feel is right for them. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Equinox is a solid mid level machine. I won't argue that. It is not better than the E-Trac V3I, or the CTX, but it was not meant to compete with them. It was developed to take away from the mid level machines of other manufactures. Especially the At-Pro and At-Max.

The problem here is I don't really have a point EXCEPT folks keep trying to praise a stupid machine. I have never posted that my CZ's do better than the Excal, nor have I posted that I am a better detectorist because of my finds.

iF someone really wants a machine that will do land, fresh water, wet salt beaches and saltwater as far as I know there are only TWO choices. The Equinox and the CTX.

When I type in caps I don't consider it yelling. i think of it as emphasizing what I want to say. I think of yelling when your whole post is in caps and I never do that.

I am here to help others. PERIOD. Not cram any machine down someones throats. This is a hobby. For everyone to enjoy the way they feel is right for them. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Equinox is a solid mid level machine. I won't argue that. It is not better than the E-Trac V3I, or the CTX, but it was not meant to compete with them. It was developed to take away from the mid level machines of other manufactures. Especially the At-Pro and At-Max.

If there is one hobby I know well, it is archery. Men have egos and sometimes those egos need feed. I AM NOT IMPLYING THAT IS THE CASE WITH THE OP OF THIS THREAD. But never the less, I see it all the time. Guys buy the fastest and most unshooter friendly bows just to brag on how fast it can shoot and disregard the fact the couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it.

Detectors are no different. To some, it is about the prestige of owning a detector that is highly praised and talked about. Once the new is wore off, they are on to the next greatest detector and the cycle starts again.

Like in archery, there are bow buyers and there are bow shooters. Same applies in metal detectors. Some buy detectors and deck them out with all the accessories but never really use them much. They spend a lot of time talking about it but less time using it.

Then you have those who's detector looks like someone ran over it. It is beat up and tape is holding it together and it shows the characteristic marks of heavy use. They don't have to lock their truck doors anymore because nobody is going to steal it.

In competitive archery or other similar sports, 5% of the people win 95% of the time. I believe it is the same in detecting. Even though people use and find things with their detectors, there is a small group who really know more about detectors and detectoring than most everyone else. They have spent the time and effort, have studied and learned to a level that others will never reach.

In these forums, it isn't difficult to identify the guys who are at the higher levels. These forums can be really helpful and a person can gain valuable knowledge to help them become more proficient with their detectors. With my archery background, I have learned to use these forums to my advantage by learning from the right people and apply it to my detecting.

Some people with 20 years of detecting experience only have 1 years experience 20 times. While others with 20 years experience actually have 20 years of knowledge.

Scuba, don't get too caught up into things you can't control. There is some useful info in this thread but there is also a lot of nonsense. Chew up the meat and spit out the bones. Set your discrimination on high and weed out the trash. :D

While all are busy chewing and spitting, take time to also thank Minelab for producing a first class machine that has enough capabilities that it produces this kind of discussion.

I agree we are comparing one machine with another machine. In terms of affording and owning just one machine the 800 is a solid choice. I did not give up my AT Pro lightly. I hunt parks, fields for civil war relics, ocean and lake beaches and creeks. The only thing I don't hunt now is for gold since it is difficult in north Georgia to find any areas that are not private or an expensive club to hunt for gold in the Gold belt. 30 years ago, yes there lots of places to hunt and dig for gold but the northward spread of Atlanta has closed that option.

also throw away the wireless head phones. to me they don't sound good. I just use the WM-08 and my wired apple ear buds. sounds so much crisper than the softer sounding tones of their wireless ear phones that come with the detector.

I get the sense that a lot of CTX 3030 users are selling their detector and buying the 800 due to the weight of the CTX 3030. Apparently not much of a learning curve going from a 3030 to the 800.

Back
Top Bottom