• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Who likes old tools?

Here are a couple of my favorite pliers. Picked them up thriftin' somewhere last year. The #418 ChannelLock has an unusual jaw that works great for many uses. The other one is an Eifel-Flash Plierench. Like yours, but no extra jaws, that I wasn't aware of until reading this post. I love the serious clamping power, the 4-way slotted jaws, the diamond grips on the handles, and the screwdriver tip on one handle. It also has a tough side cutter that I haven't used yet.
These old timers were very well made, and now having stood the test of time, are still in service, with a nice aged patina.

BTW: Great topic! "old tools" leaves it wide open. Fun looking at everything on here; from the old tractors to Aaron's awesome curly/tiger maple work.

Attachments

• DSCN5624.jpg
    DSCN5624.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 157
Most excellent Foragist. Are you gonna be on the lookout for the extra jaws for your Eifel? I see them on Ebay from time to time. You are right about those curved jaw Channelocks too. They have some serious gripping power as well. Thanks for showing your tools. ;);):cool:

Old tools are quality made and still useful, love collecting and using them.
Estate sales are the best place ive found these, cheap and plentiful. Most sellers dont know what they are either

Here is a couple of refinishes I started yesterday. The small broad hatchet is unmarked with a nice little handle on it. It has decent figure in it,,should get a few stripes out of it. Got it finished to 2000 grit and ready for stain.

The double bit axe is a Sager Warren Axe and Tool Warren PA. It is a hickory handle I'm 95%sure but with extra tight curl/figure. It's got more than anything I've done so far. Got the initial bark knocked off of it with some 120.

Attachments

• 1st sager axe refinish 056resize.jpg
    1st sager axe refinish 056resize.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 78
  • 1st sager axe refinish 058resize.jpg
    1st sager axe refinish 058resize.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 1st sager axe refinish 062resize.jpg
    1st sager axe refinish 062resize.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 1st sager axe refinish 063resize.jpg
    1st sager axe refinish 063resize.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 80
,..and the Sager. They are my fav anyway,..with this handle it is a prize for me.

Attachments

• 1st sager axe refinish 068resize.jpg
    1st sager axe refinish 068resize.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 1st sager axe refinish 067resize.jpg
    1st sager axe refinish 067resize.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 1st sager axe refinish 066resize.jpg
    1st sager axe refinish 066resize.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 1st sager axe refinish 065resize.jpg
    1st sager axe refinish 065resize.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 85
,....initial 120 sanding.

Attachments

• 1st sager axe refinish 069resize.jpg
    1st sager axe refinish 069resize.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 1st sager axe refinish 070resize.jpg
    1st sager axe refinish 070resize.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 85
This is exactly what I'm talking about. These tools are all supposed to be used and abused, but now they are so much more. They have become a form of industrial art for most of us. Very cool.

Thanks gents....they sure are fun to get your hands on...just a relaxing Zen kinda thing lolol

Some finished pics of the broad hatchet,...

Attachments

• Broad Hatchet refinish 054resize.jpg
    Broad Hatchet refinish 054resize.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Broad Hatchet refinish 055resize.jpg
    Broad Hatchet refinish 055resize.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Broad Hatchet refinish 056resize.jpg
    Broad Hatchet refinish 056resize.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Broad Hatchet refinish 057resize.jpg
    Broad Hatchet refinish 057resize.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 52
makes me want to try this out this weekend. I have a bin full of old axe heads ive dug over the past 6yrs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom