Any ideas on what this was part of?

holelottafun

I was sorting through my metal detecting finds separating all the aluminum,brass,copper, iron, etc. and came across this. Cleaned the dirt off it and found it stamped with “Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States” It’s made out of aluminum and looks like it was made to have something hook on to it? Any ideas?

Attachments

• 8205CA98-7425-4CF5-8B80-E82115FDF3EE.jpeg
    8205CA98-7425-4CF5-8B80-E82115FDF3EE.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 368
  • 92AC8B7D-DC82-44A7-A099-FFAD66EC6A83.jpeg
    92AC8B7D-DC82-44A7-A099-FFAD66EC6A83.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 306
  • 46623676-715B-4E47-A28D-3BCA6E4DFAF1.jpeg
    46623676-715B-4E47-A28D-3BCA6E4DFAF1.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 308
Yeah HuntinDog it kind of looks like that sort of shape but being aluminum it would never work as a shoehorn.

I wonder if it could be a metal backing and clip for a patch like this one. This is a Catholic Veterans patch.Note the almost identical shape. Probably not this one exactly.... Maybe I'm on to something. Who knows.

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 263
There is a “contact seller” option on the Etsy page. Maybe that could lead to more information

I think back in the day cars did not have clothes hanger hooks in the back where you could hang a suit or whatever in the back seat and it wouldn't get wrinkled, so if you had one of these it would slide over top of rear window, you'd roll window up and it was held in place. I have a plastic one from a local hotel. Probably 1940s or early 1950s?

I think back in the day cars did not have clothes hanger hooks in the back where you could hang a suit or whatever in the back seat and it wouldn't get wrinkled, so if you had one of these it would slide over top of rear window, you'd roll window up and it was held in place. I have a plastic one from a local hotel. Probably 1940s or early 1950s?

That is actually a pretty good explanation! It doesnt look big enough for most garments though. The overbite of the hook and tab isnt much. I can almost imagine hanging a string or cord on it. But hanging the thing on a window or the edge of something looks very feasible. When. When would they have started cheap typeset stamping onto metal like that? It kind of looks 40's-ish...but they might have kept the same dies and done in that way for decades.

That is actually a pretty good explanation! It doesnt look big enough for most garments though. The overbite of the hook and tab isnt much. I can almost imagine hanging a string or cord on it. But hanging the thing on a window or the edge of something looks very feasible. When. When would they have started cheap typeset stamping onto metal like that? It kind of looks 40's-ish...but they might have kept the same dies and done in that way for decades.

Well, the first cars i remember were early/mid 1960s and they had garment hooks so if that's what it is, they probably quit making these as giveaway promo items when most cars had built-in hooks... '40s seems like a good guess on its age.

Here's a similar car clothes hook giveaway piece, looks like a little sturdier design

Attachments

• Car clothes hook nope.jpg
    Car clothes hook nope.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 202
Back
Top Bottom