which detector

KB Digger

Hi -- I am coin shooter mostly and will be upgrading to a new detector. Now I have been using the AT Pro, but should I get the new AT PRO MAX, or switch to Minelabs 600/800?

Never heard of the AT PRO MAX. I have heard of the AT MAX.....

The AT MAX looks like an AT PRO but it has very different audio, a threshold based all metal mode, more features and has a built in wireless transmitter for Garrett's MS3 wireless headphones. The Max is a very good detector and much better than the AT Pro in my opinion. I have the AT Gold and to me it has very similar audio to the AT Max which besides a few extra features is like an AT Gold on steroids.

I also have the Equinox. I have owned the 600 and still own two 800s along with an XP Deus. To me the Deus is closer to the AT Max than the Equinox which has simultaneous multi frequencies and selectable single frequencies along with a ton of great features that make it be very different compared to the AT Max and the Deus especially in the audio and target ID accuracy departments.

The Equinox 600 is an outstanding detector. However, after owning an AT Pro and still owning an AT Gold, the Equinox will hit so many more targets in the same ground than those two detectors because it is extremely sensitive to any shallow visible metal targets in the ground which includes tiny shards of iron and shredded aluminum can slaw or foil. It is also extremely sensitive to coin sized and larger targets out past its coil's theoretical depth of detection depending on soil type and size of target. All of those targets under the coil and in my ears was pretty overwhelming at first and can be to anyone that has been using a fairly quiet or less sensitive detector.

Garrett has also produced recently the ACE Apex which is more like the AT Pro than the other ACE series detectors, has wireless audio and is simultaneous multi frequency or selectable single frequency similar to the Equinox but not nearly as advanced.

Minelab has also recently released the Vanquish series which has 3 models that use the same technology as the Equinox but with less features and less complicated adjustments.

Nokta Makro have some outstanding single frequency, waterproof detectors that easily compete with the Garrett AT Pro and even the AT Max. The Simplex and Multi Kruzers are very affordable and well designed alternatives to the Garretts.

To be honest, the AT Max does have different audio than the AT Pro . The ATMax has terribly harsh crackle pop audio...... the Atpro is smooth audio ... had both and was disappointed with the ATMax !! ....... I would look at the ML Nox600-800 , the ML 540, Anfibio. Or Simplex .

KB Digger: said:
Hi -- I am coin shooter mostly and will be upgrading to a new detector. Now I have been using the AT Pro, but should I get the new AT PRO MAX, or switch to Minelabs 600/800?
If you are mainly a "Coin Shooter' that would suggest you mainly hunt urban locations and not that much beach areas or relic type sites.

As 'jmaclen' stated, there are a lot of good detectors out there, and some will be more appealing to some folks while others grab the attention of others. There is no 'perfect' detector so just pick a good quality-built detector that will do what you'd like it to do where you would typically hunt.

The Minelab Equinox 600 and 800 are okay detectors, but having had an 800 is just wasn't for me. However, I do have their Vanquish 540 Pro Pack model in my outfit and keep the 5X8 DD mounted for routine coin hunting.

Nokta / Makro makes the Multi-Kruzer and Anfibio Multi, and both work well, but for me and my wants and needs, their Simplex + serves me just fine. I have the standard 11" DD for open areas, but keep their 5X9½ DD mounted full-time and have been impressed at how well it handles a lot of typical trash environments, to include iron nails and such.

My primary-use Coin Hunting detector is Garrett's new Apex, and I have three with a different coil attached to each of them for different applications.

All of these are very good detectors. If I wanted to stay in the Garrett AT series line-up, I would get the AT Max. A much improved model over the AT Pro.

Just take your time in making a selection, If at all possible, try to find a way to get one of these in your hands to see how they feel and how they work. Then, once decided, put in the time to use it, learn it, and enjoy it.

Monte

I would definitely recommend the equinox over the AT. As jmaclen stated it finds targets that the AT series won’t touch. IMO the only advantage the AT series has over the nox is build quality.

consider the outrageously good vanquish 540.short money, and you get multi-iq tech.same as the 600/800.lower priced fun!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

KB, there are some good guys here trying to save you money, but I really think there's an ulterior motive, they don't want to compete with you swinging the Nox. You know you want it, so just step up and get it. It's calling your name. :cool: But really, if I decide to move up, I'm going to move up, I'm not going to make a lateral or near lateral move. But it's your dough, so good luck deciding.

........if I decide to move up, I'm going to move up, I'm not going to make a lateral or near lateral move......

The only reason to make a lateral move is if you're not happy with your detector. Whether it be the balance, weight, tones, speed, coils etc. If you want better performance then go big or go home.

Don't let anyone talk you into buying the detector they like to use. Find someone that will let you try different detectors to see what you like, that way you don't regret buying something you didn't want.

Now I know I'm old and not familiar with any old sites in my area. This will be a humorous post to many. I'm mainly a coinshooter and I constantly see the new detectors in my area and shoot the breeze with them. I'm constantly amused whenever I leave to avoid disturbing them how I find so many coins the next day with my simple Ace 250/sniper coil. Just sayin'

Now I know I'm old and not familiar with any old sites in my area. This will be a humorous post to many. I'm mainly a coinshooter and I constantly see the new detectors in my area and shoot the breeze with them. I'm constantly amused whenever I leave to avoid disturbing them how I find so many coins the next day with my simple Ace 250/sniper coil. Just sayin'

That's because those guys with new technology were pulling nothing but seated's and stander's and IHP, but they dropped a few clads and zincolns to make you feel good about your Ace 250. :cool3:

Just pokin' fun, but if I was only hunting for shallow clad in parks or lawns, then you're right, any old detector will do. But for the difficult sites that are left that will give up old treasure, give me new technology.

Don't let anyone talk you into buying the detector they like to use. Find someone that will let you try different detectors to see what you like, that way you don't regret buying something you didn't want.

This is good advice, but also don't let someone talk you into a detector because it is cheap.

Most machines on the market will suite most needs,wether it be a At pro,equinox,kruzer,etc. If you have unlimited funds then by all means knock yourself out and buy one of each. But if your just a weekend warrior like most of us,and not a lifelong seeker with expectation of retiring with the next find then your At pro is more than capable of finding lots of awesome coins,jewlery and relics..My advice, keep your At pro and do some research on places to hunt...Inexperienced detectorist look for new machines,experienced Detectorist look for new places to hunt. ..Point is,,,another machine might squeeze a few more finds out of your previous spots,but then what? Your back here again looking for another machine to squeeze another few finds out..lol.

I own both the AT Pro (first detector) and now a Nox800. I don't fan boy to either side and I enjoy them both. I found plenty of coins, flat buttons, and relics with my AT Pro and went back into those sites with the nox800 and never got anything that was 'missed'. I can tell you I take many of those stories about one finding things over the other with a grain of salt because there's too many variables besides the detectors. (I also test commercial metal detection technologies and can show the similar faults in many systems.) I can also place coins in the ground that both with miss if you're just not using a good technique.

What I will say about both, the Nox800 seems to better discriminate item to item. I feel more confident knowing what something is before I dig it and there's more settings to customize how you want to target things. Personally, I stick to a preset and start walking. The biggest drawback to it (nox) from a relic hunting view, is that it tries its hardest to skip iron and rusty things. You can turn iron on, but I feel like it still keeps it quiet. Some like that, some don't. Relic sites have iron, it was a major product to make anything back then, but it depends what you want to find. I like iron relics, but also I am mostly in no trash areas so digging iron signals is still good for me. Locating a square nail here and there helps me find home sites and other spots to direct my focus.

That's because those guys with new technology were pulling nothing but seated's and stander's and IHP, but they dropped a few clads and zincolns to make you feel good about your Ace 250. :cool3:

Just pokin' fun, but if I was only hunting for shallow clad in parks or lawns, then you're right, any old detector will do. But for the difficult sites that are left that will give up old treasure, give me new technology.

:lol: Good one! Unfortunately they showed me their finds- but they did get a kick outta finding trash metal over a foot!:lol:

This is good advice, but also don't let someone talk you into a detector because it is cheap.

I base my decisions on what a detector is capable of finding, not how much it cost. There are detectors made by one company that I refuse to buy any that they make after buying one dud from them.

Back
Top Bottom