Coin probing method

If you want to look after parks only dig when the ground is soft and or wet. Lets start there. :)

Use a philips head and once you've pp'd the target, start probing with the screwdriver, perpendicular to the ground, the sharper angle you probe the more chance you'll miss the target so probe straight down.

Cover a reasonable amount of area probing, about 2" square. How you do this is up to you, I find that a spiral pattern works best.

If this fails, pp again and try probing again.

Don't get discouraged if you can't find the target, it could be;
1. you didn't pp correct the fist time
2. a target like a coin could be on its side making it difficult to tap with a screwdriver.
3. you moved the target probing, turning a coin onto it's side. When a flat target like a coin sits sideways in the ground, it plays havoc to a detectorist's pp ability. In such a case, you'll simply have to be more careful. I like to pp by lifting the coil above the ground until the signal becomes weak and then pp.

I use a coin probe that I made. (See Easy Coin Probe For details.) It is made of brass so it doesn't scratch coins. I probe until I feel the target then make a slit in the grass. I probe again to find the edge of the target and then raise the target through the slit. It's hardly noticeable.

Attachments

• Easy Coin Probe.gif
    Easy Coin Probe.gif
    68 KB · Views: 79
I don't hunt clad, so I don't risk damaging any of my targets with this method. Nothing kills cool 150+ year old coins and relics quite like dragging them through the rocks and dirt with a hardened piece of steel......

Back
Top Bottom