Recommendations on a hand digger to cut through roots.

tjn63

I've used the lesche for years. It does pretty good, but where I detect I'm having to cut tree roots in almost every hole. Even with the lesche it's grueling work. Has anyone found anything to work better with roots?

I know you're asking about a digger, but sometimes I carry a pair of pruning snips, one-handed type. Makes short work of most roots that the Lesche won't rip through. Sure, they will dull in the dirt but they still last for multiple hunts. The Mrs. always has a pair laying around and I'll just grab a different one if they get too dull....lol. :lol:

I know you're asking about a digger, but sometimes I carry a pair of pruning snips, one-handed type. Makes short work of most roots that the Lesche won't rip through. Sure, they will dull in the dirt but they still last for multiple hunts. The Mrs. always has a pair laying around and I'll just grab a different one if they get too dull....lol. :lol:

X2

My guess is you are talking about bigger roots. Like 2"+ diameter. Though a pain to carry in a backpack , I have used a cordless sawzall with a tree trimming blade. Works perfect. But probably not something you want to use in a crowded park.

Folding camping hand saw. The blade is thick enough it doesn't bend sticking it into the ground. The wide teeth zip right through roots.

Those are all great ideas. I just looked at the root slayer trowel. I thought about buying it, but then I remembered how often I would break shovels with small handles like that before I started using the lesche. I think I'm going to try out the folding hand saw idea. Amazon has a bunch of designs that look like they'll work well. If that doesn't pan out I'll try the garden snips, my wife has several of them around as well.lol Thanks for all of your help.

In addition to my Lesche I carry a small folding pruner saw. It makes very short work of roots up to 2".

I've used the lesche for years. It does pretty good, but where I detect I'm having to cut tree roots in almost every hole. Even with the lesche it's grueling work. Has anyone found anything to work better with roots?

Pick up a small folding saw like this one. They are compact, light weight and make quick work of the roots.

Attachments

• IMG_20210302_095518979~2.jpg
    IMG_20210302_095518979~2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 277
Do you sharpen your digging tool?? I have to sharpen mine at least two to three times a year. Makes a good difference in how well they cut.

Do you sharpen your digging tool?? I have to sharpen mine at least two to three times a year. Makes a good difference in how well they cut.

X2. I keep a hand file for my predator shovel. It slides right through most roots, I honestly barely use the saw I keep in my pack.

I have one of these in my pack. It works well to sharpen and touch up my hand digger and shovel. I wouldn't use it on a good hunting knife though.
sharpener (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom