First barber half!

Muskrat

I hadn't made it out this month due to work and fishing but I decided to hit a spot everyone had already pounded and dig some nasty hard to get targets in the rocks.

I was rewarded with my first barber half, might be 1897, a silver roosie, earring and this big ornate disc with a horse head. I dug it 3 feet away from the half dollar and when I heard that solid 33 34 I thought yeah baby! Come on morgan!

Alas I pulled it out and it looked like junk, heavy though, and tossed it in the pouch. My wife saw the horse when I got home. Anyone have an idea on what it could be?

Attachments

• Resized_20210228_094520.jpg
    Resized_20210228_094520.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 437
  • Resized_20210227_214917.jpg
    Resized_20210227_214917.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 420
  • Resized_20210228_094551.jpg
    Resized_20210228_094551.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 412
Huh ?? Is our "certain" beach still exposed and eroded ? Amazing since there's been a month of calm !

Thank you guys, an update on the bridle rosette thing, it is stamped "keystone bros. S F CALIF sterling. Excited to know for sure that it's silver.

Found out online that they started in San francisco in 1868 making whips and lashes. Now they are an upholstery and vinyl company but still make quality western style leather goods. Makes me curious as to how old it is.

Its a shame how salt water eats silver coins... for some reason every time I see your screen name I think you are from Michigan :lol:

Interesting followup on the silver Bridle rosette thing. A quick & dirty google-search on : "keystone bros. S F " turns up multitudes of hits. I haven't data-mined all of them, but it seems like you ought to be able to find out how long they existed up-to.

And notice how your sterling silver turned that chocolate brown, just like the silver Morgan dollar I found there @ the prior month. This is a peculiarity on that particular beach (perhaps just for the silver stuck among those rocks at that section), that they take on a brown color. Versus most other beaches that cause silver to take on a charcoal black-ish color. I guess each beach has its own unique mineral makeup.

If you want to go turn over some more boulders, and you want an extra hand, let me know ! Also: The next beach south of that has also been known to have this boulder effect, where the boulders trap sand, and the metal targets (coins etc...) sort of "pole up" to the fixed object boulders. I've done the same tactic there in years past. But only a time or two. Always wanted to exploit it further. But now that it's been a month of calm, it might be sanded in there too.

Thank you gentlemen! I'll hit you up, Tom maybe we can squeeze a few more out.

Cfmt thanks again for the links and nope, grew up in Minnesota though

Thank you gentlemen! I'll hit you up, Tom maybe we can squeeze a few more out.

Cfmt thanks again for the links and nope, grew up in Minnesota though

I'm planning on visiting that area next week. If you're still interested in checking out my MDT 8000, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom