Saw an apex on the beach

beamwalker

I was out on the beach swinging my ctx and my wife was with me using my nox 800. This guy comes up swinging an apex and telling us that the new Garrett will do everything my two detectors will do. Didn’t quite buy it. No doubt the new apex is a good unit, but I have a hard time believing it is as good as my ctx.

You didn’t tell him to go submerge it in the surf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I had my CTX a guy with a DFX came up to me saying how he does great and just as good as hunting with the CTX I had at the time.
I said cool use what works for you and then he just walked away.
I am not out there looking for a pissing match LOL and he was looking for one I have better things to do with my time.

A lot of people like to believe that their "Whatever" is the best that money can buy. Listen to guys argue about Ford and Chevy. So it not unusual for some some one to believe their metal detector is the best. That is all that keeps some manufacturers in business.

A lot of people like to believe that their "Whatever" is the best that money can buy. Listen to guys argue about Ford and Chevy. So it not unusual for some some one to believe their metal detector is the best. That is all that keeps some manufacturers in business.

I would venture to say if we all had two days with every detector made, and could keep the one we liked best after two days most wouldn't pick what they THOUGHT they would have picked. But even at that point the learning is just beginning. It's as much the user as the machine. If you put a CTX 3030 in my hands today I would get slaughtered by someone who has many hours on a simplex. That is just how it works.

It could be, that way too many are giving all THEIR credit to the machine when in fact it could be THEM who makes the machine.

I have watched Detector Ben do a lot of amazing things with the Nox. Obviously not everyone can do it like that. But in time I think anyone could. The same holds true with any machine.

I would venture to say if we all had two days with every detector made, and could keep the one we liked best after two days most wouldn't pick what they THOUGHT they would have picked. But even at that point the learning is just beginning. It's as much the user as the machine. If you put a CTX 3030 in my hands today I would get slaughtered by someone who has many hours on a simplex. That is just how it works.

It could be, that way too many are giving all THEIR credit to the machine when in fact it could be THEM who makes the machine.

I have watched Detector Ben do a lot of amazing things with the Nox. Obviously not everyone can do it like that. But in time I think anyone could. The same holds true with any machine.
Yes the more time a person spends on a machine the better they are gonna get with that machine. But in no way is the apex in the same class as the equinox.

If i was looking for silver coins around an old home site i would choose the ctx but looking for gold jewelery on a salt water beach i'd rather take the apex,there i said it

Used to care for alpacas at one time for a neighbor. They are related to llamas. They spit at me all the time

The funny thing is in my picture you see a big white akita we named him The Lama because he was born the day our last dog died they both looked and acted virtually the same so he became The Lama like how the Dalai Lama is chosen but when people would ask his name sometimes they thought Llama like the animal

I've owned and learned lots of detectors, used to like White's DFX, V3i etc, tried a AT Pro and loved it (not at the beach), then I once owned and tried an E-trac I was finally sold on Minelab detectors.. I now Have an EQ800 and Vanquish 540, really like minelab.. but I still respect other detectors..

Bad analogy.. but my White's XLT was my "gateway drug" into metal detecting.. then moved on to harder core detectors.. lol

Thanks for the kind words!

I agree to a point. Any higher end detector in the right hands will likely find good targets in the hands of an experienced user. I have had great success with the at pro, ctx, etrac, and nox.

I have yet to find that same success with the Apex. I haven't given up on it yet. I am currently testing the tornado coil on my apex in hopes of improved depth capabilities. I will compare the apex with tornado coil to nox with stock coil as well.. Hopefully I will have some good footage to post soon. Now that the weather has finally warmed up here!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Have three Apex devices with different coils attached, I definitely haven't given up on the Apex. I also have a Simplex +, Vanquish 540 Pro Pack / 2-Coil version, and my two favorite Tesoro models plus a Nokta Relic.for the toughest iron nail infested sites.

I have owned a lot of other detectors over the past fifty-six years, and even many of the current offerings are good detectors for certain applications. In the end, it boils down to the detector, the coil, and especially the operator who understands a detector's strengths and weaknesses. Then tey can get the better performance out of it.

I am not into the 'deeper, deeper, deeper' category as experience has shown me that while I do work some sites where depth is achievable, most of the places I search are too littered to allow depth due to good-target masking. Also, and more importantly, because most good stuff isn't that deep anyway. I'm referring to where I hunt. I don't use larger-size after-market coils, or even the bigger ones from a detector maker. The largest coils I have available are my 11" Simplex + coil and 9X12 V-540 coil I keep at-the-ready in my Accessory Coil Tote, and the 8½X11 factory DD I keep mounted on one of my Apex units for open-area searches.

More often than not I plant myself in some iron infested sites, especially iron nails, so I rely on makes and models that provide me some of the better performance in those environments. The Apex w/5X8 DD and Simplex + w/5X9½ DD both surpassed the Equinox 800 w/6" DD in several nail-challenged tests and a few old-use 1870's era hunt sites, so they make a better 'fit' in my Detector Team. The V-540 provides some of the Multi-IQ performance I like for other sites and tasks. No perfect detector, and if I got to a productive beach I'm sure the Apex would be put to work. I've been impressed with its responsiveness on lower-conductive gold jewelry, but it also works fine for other conductive levels of targets.

In the end, most credit should go to the detector operator, and then to their site selection and detecting techniques used than to a particular make or model detector.

Monte

I was out on the beach swinging my ctx and my wife was with me using my nox 800. This guy comes up swinging an apex and telling us that the new Garrett will do everything my two detectors will do. Didn’t quite buy it. No doubt the new apex is a good unit, but I have a hard time believing it is as good as my ctx.

I guess that depends on how you define, "good."

Back
Top Bottom