Advice on wireless setup - which to choose?

Chroma

Elite Member
I am looking to switch to wireless audio on my Vanquish 440, and I am trying to decide between two setups. The Vanquish 440, unlike the 540, does not have a built-in wireless transmitter, so I'll have to buy a transmitter along with compatible headphones.

Setup 1: Garrett Z-Lynk setup
- $180: Garrett Z-Lynk transmitter headphone/combo ($169.95), 1/4" to 3.5mm headphone adapter ($9.00)
- Pros: Slightly longer battery life (advertised at 30 hours), better headphones (in build quality, and maybe in sound?)
- Cons: Proprietary, stuck with the Garrett MS-3 headphones.

Setup 2: Bluetooth 5.0 aptX Low Latency setup
- $90 (Amazon): Transmitter (Trond, $29.99), headphones (SoundBlaster Jam V2, $39.99), Velcro strips to attach transmitter ($3.74), short 3.5mm cable ($9.39)
- Pros: Can use whichever compatible headphones you want, cheaper
- Cons: Shorter battery life than Garrett system

The Garrett setup has an advertised delay of 17ms, while aptX Low Latency is 40ms, but I don't think anyone's ears could tell the difference.

At twice the price of the Bluetooth setup, is the Garrett setup that much better (do the pricier headphones make a big difference)? Are there advantages to the Garrett system that I am overlooking? I thought I would ask to see if any of you have advice or opinions, before I pull the trigger on anything. I am leaning towards the Bluetooth setup because it is cheaper.

Thanks

A long while back I pieced together a bluetooth solution. It was a bluetooth transmitter and receiver pair (I think they were identical -- both have switches, so they can be Tx or Rx) and hooked my favorite wired headphones to the receiver. Tucked the receiver in a pocket, headphone wires behind my back so they never got in the way. It was all APTX LL, "40ms" and responsive enough for me. Normal bluetooth, 150+ms, was also "usable" but annoying and tedious lag.

You're right, most folks will be fine with 40ms. I haven't used the faster Zlynk, 40ms is close enough to direct wired for me. Equinox is also 40ms, and it's just fine with the proper APTX LL headphones too.

I have both a Garrett Apex with the built in z-lynk and a Nokta Legend with the LL Bluetooth. The Garrett is definitely noticeably faster. Now, that said, the speed of the Bluetooth headphones on the Legend are pretty good, though I feel like it always takes me one more swing of the coil to find exactly where a target is vs with the Garrett. Not really a big deal

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

A long while back I pieced together a bluetooth solution. It was a bluetooth transmitter and receiver pair (I think they were identical -- both have switches, so they can be Tx or Rx) and hooked my favorite wired headphones to the receiver. Tucked the receiver in a pocket, headphone wires behind my back so they never got in the way. It was all APTX LL, "40ms" and responsive enough for me. Normal bluetooth, 150+ms, was also "usable" but annoying and tedious lag.

You're right, most folks will be fine with 40ms. I haven't used the faster Zlynk, 40ms is close enough to direct wired for me. Equinox is also 40ms, and it's just fine with the proper APTX LL headphones too.

I have both a Garrett Apex with the built in z-lynk and a Nokta Legend with the LL Bluetooth. The Garrett is definitely noticeably faster. Now, that said, the speed of the Bluetooth headphones on the Legend are pretty good, though I feel like it always takes me one more swing of the coil to find exactly where a target is vs with the Garrett. Not really a big deal

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks TorqueMaster and thefabulousnip for the input. I ended up going with the Garrett Z-Lynk system because I want the headphones to sound as good as possible. So I could have gone for the Bluetooth system and picked out nicer aptX Low Latency headphones, but for simplicity's sake I bought the Garrett kit since everything I need is included.

The clad coins I have dug in the past year or so cover a large portion of the purchase which is great. It's going to be nice when I first hear the detector sounds through the new headphones, after using $10 el-cheapo headphones for the past year.

I am looking to switch to wireless audio on my Vanquish 440, and I am trying to decide between two setups. The Vanquish 440, unlike the 540, does not have a built-in wireless transmitter, so I'll have to buy a transmitter along with compatible headphones.

Setup 1: Garrett Z-Lynk setup
- $180: Garrett Z-Lynk transmitter headphone/combo ($169.95), 1/4" to 3.5mm headphone adapter ($9.00)
- Pros: Slightly longer battery life (advertised at 30 hours), better headphones (in build quality, and maybe in sound?)
- Cons: Proprietary, stuck with the Garrett MS-3 headphones.

Setup 2: Bluetooth 5.0 aptX Low Latency setup
- $90 (Amazon): Transmitter (Trond, $29.99), headphones (SoundBlaster Jam V2, $39.99), Velcro strips to attach transmitter ($3.74), short 3.5mm cable ($9.39)
- Pros: Can use whichever compatible headphones you want, cheaper
- Cons: Shorter battery life than Garrett system

The Garrett setup has an advertised delay of 17ms, while aptX Low Latency is 40ms, but I don't think anyone's ears could tell the difference.

At twice the price of the Bluetooth setup, is the Garrett setup that much better (do the pricier headphones make a big difference)? Are there advantages to the Garrett system that I am overlooking? I thought I would ask to see if any of you have advice or opinions, before I pull the trigger on anything. I am leaning towards the Bluetooth setup because it is cheaper.

Thanks

I know this is a fairly old post, I went with the Trond to use with my Garrett 24K and it works great it has paired with every ear bud I have as well as the wireless headphones that came with my Legend I have paired it with two pairs of Black Shark Earbuds T1 and T4s 4 different Tozo brands the N9s, T10 and a couple of other Tozo Brands all of them works great with the Trond wireless transmitter I also have a pair of Bone conduction head phones made by a company called Inductivv that works really good with the Trond Transmitter

I used this transceiver on 2 setups and it worked great. Low latency and is only $9 at Walmart. The Airpods were left by a renter but any headphones will work. I just got a 1/4" adapter.

Attachments

• AirPodPhones.jpg
    AirPodPhones.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 162
Back
Top Bottom