advice on finding gold/diamond earring?

KY PI

I'm pretty new to MDing and this forum but I need advice. My mother just told me that she lost a very expensive gold/diamond earring last month when her and dad went to church. They think it may have been lost in the gravel parking lot that had a couple of inches of snow on it. I have an MXT PRO with a 12" coil plus a 4x6 shooter coil and a 6x10DD on the way. I had planned on checking the remaining earring for VDI number and hunting in C&J mode with the discrimination turned way down. I need any and all advice on helping to find this piece of jewelry since it is sentimental to her. All help will be appreciated!

Good luck!

Look at getting not just the VDI # but try to memorize the sound in discriminate mode and in pin point mode. Notice how "small" (in pin point mode) the target size is as you sweep back & forth over the target. Also note how "smooth" the sound is. This will help you tell the ear ring from the trash.

The 6X10 DD is the ideal coil for the task.

I'm no expert for sure, but I'd think you'd discriminate out all but the VDI of the other earring so all you'll hear is the earring VDI, the earing VDI minus 1 or 2 clicks and the earring VDI plus 1 or 2 clicks.

Someone else can pitch in here and indicate if I'm being too restrictive... ?

I'm no expert for sure, but I'd think you'd discriminate out all but the VDI of the other earring so all you'll hear is the earring VDI, the earing VDI minus 1 or 2 clicks and the earring VDI plus 1 or 2 clicks.

Someone else can pitch in here and indicate if I'm being too restrictive... ?

i agree. if it's a recent loss, then it's probably still on or very close to the surface. scan that other one and look for a very similar signal.

Before I did any digging,

I think I would just give the top of the ground a good scan. Then work all the places where the soil comes up to a sidewalk or curb. As of right now, the target is either on top of the ground or within an inch or two of the top, or in the crack between the dirt and paving. Once you start digging, it may get a lot deeper before it turns so that it gives you a good shot at a signal.
Just my opinion, of course.
HH,
John Morton

Why not place the one she didn't lose under your coil and see what it looks like on your display and how it sounds...

Also, stand in the parking lot and determine where the snow plow was psuhing the snow. I have found several rings, etc in the areas the plow piled the snow. You may be looking around the edge of the parking lot in a strip upwards to 6 feet wide.

You also have to see if the slope of the pavement is enough that melting snow or rain could have washed the ear ring down its runoff path.

I would assume the parking lot was plowed (although if it were a light snow at the end of the season, perhaps not). If it were plowed, the earring could be anywhere. Also, check the walk all the way up to the church... when an earring falls off, it may well 'nest' for a while in clothes, until movement eventually shakes it loose. For that matter, it could be in the church, or even in the car. Big job ahead, but it sounds to me like you can do it.... Good luck, RickO

We were once called to try and find a post diamond white gold earring. The regular coil wouldn't even detect the mate to it. We switched to a four inch coil and actualluy scrubbed the ground with it, and after several hours finally found it. I would go with a smaller coil if you have one.

I'm pretty new to MDing and this forum but I need advice. My mother just told me that she lost a very expensive gold/diamond earring last month when her and dad went to church. They think it may have been lost in the gravel parking lot that had a couple of inches of snow on it. I have an MXT PRO with a 12" coil plus a 4x6 shooter coil and a 6x10DD on the way. I had planned on checking the remaining earring for VDI number and hunting in C&J mode with the discrimination turned way down. I need any and all advice on helping to find this piece of jewelry since it is sentimental to her. All help will be appreciated!
You can also try our lostmystuff website to see if anyone is in the area to help you
http://www.lostmystuff.net/index.php

This sends an email to all our members, and if anyone is close, they will respond back and let you know when they can come look for it. Some members might not see this thread, so it is worth a shot

If you arent a member, please sign up....worthy cause!

As has been mentioned learn what you can from the existing earring so you have an idea of tones and target id. As Rick O also mentioned it may have been plowed to the side of elsewhere. The one thing that came to mind also was I hope it did not get picked up in the tire of another car and get driven away from the lot.

best of luck I hope you are able to find it.

I appreciate the situation you are in. It's not going to an easy find I think.

Chris J's comment about being picked up in a tire and moved is pertinent too. Just made me think of diamond-studded snow tires tho! :lol::lol::lol:

You might also check in her car, and under the seats. Woman fixing thier hair and seat belts can knock them off. I'f not, then the parking space would be my starting point. Good luck...

For finding that earring FogCity is right on the money. Any of the smaller coils should do it. If the 6X10 has arrived, that's the one I would use. If not, the 4X6 is excellent, just takes longer.

Best of luck finding your Mom's earring.

After you have found hers, open your discrimination up a bit & see if you can't help some of the other church members out.

Thanks for input everyone! I'm going to wait until I get the 6x10 coil so I'll have all options open. It's really important to my parents to give it my best effort and everyone's posts has given me better understanding. You guys are great!!!!!

use 6 by 10 coil..the vdi should be low if its gold. I have found much jewelry in the nickel range and a notch below on my ace 250. vdi could be 30 to35 Good Luck!

Also, stand in the parking lot and determine where the snow plow was psuhing the snow. I have found several rings, etc in the areas the plow piled the snow. You may be looking around the edge of the parking lot in a strip upwards to 6 feet wide.

You also have to see if the slope of the pavement is enough that melting snow or rain could have washed the ear ring down its runoff path.

p.s. if the lot was plowed and the driver know what he is doing the pile of snow should have been on the lowest end of the lot to keep from melting running across the lot and then refreezing good luck

Back
Top Bottom