• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Practical Detector use. OUCH!!!

Usa

Elite Member
Well, we got back from a hunting trip Saturday night and didn't have time to clean the guns. After church this afternoon my brother was cleaning his handgun, he thougt he had already checked the chamber, when he went to take off the slide he found out there was still one in the chamber...the hard way, He shot himself in the leg. The 9mm FMJ bullet went straight through his leg below the kneecap and hit part of the joint. This is the first time he has ever forgot to check the chamber...that's murphy for ya. I am using my detector to try to find the bullet in the room now. He is in the ER now and is doing OK.The bullet skidded off the floor and went 2ft from hitting me.:shock: Always remember that there is no such thing as being too safe with a gun. Here's a pic, but only cause you asked for it.

Attachments

• KIMG0771.jpg
    KIMG0771.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 145
  • KIMG0769.jpg
    KIMG0769.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 139
  • KIMG0773.jpg
    KIMG0773.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Well damn... That's a !!!!!, glad he is ok.

The conversation this just started at our house is intense. Lol

Best of luck to your Bro for a full recovery. Tough one that it nicked the joint - I had a tibial plateau fracture about 6 years ago, and I was non-weight bearing for 3.5 months to allow the joint to heal properly. Hopefully he isn’t in the same boat.

Glad nobody was killed.

Print this out and give copies to your brother.

iu

Definitely good rules. But he was using a Glock, and to take the slide off any Glocks you have to pinch 2 tabs on the side then pull the trigger. That is the biggest complaint most people have with Glocks. I know allot of ex-military guys that have done the same thing, it is easy to forget . That being said....I doubt he will ever forget to check any gun again.:grin:

I would like to add. Always check a firearm to make certain it is not loaded EVERY time you pick it up.

I will post a complete update when he is back today.

Last edited:
A lot of people to unload an automatic pistol eject the cartridge in the chamber and then drop the magazine. They don't realize that they have loaded another shell. What were you hunting with a 9mm anyway?

A lot of people to unload an automatic pistol eject the cartridge in the chamber and then drop the magazine. They don't realize that they have loaded another shell. What were you hunting with a 9mm anyway?
He was carrying it for self-defense. We have seen some mountain lions and very aggressive bobcats where we hunt. And it always good to carry a semi auto gun when there are predators like that around.

Definitely good rules. But he was using a Glock, and to take the slide off any Glocks you have to pinch 2 tabs on the side then pull the trigger. That is the biggest complaint most people have with Glocks. I know allot of ex-military guys that have done the same thing, it is easy to forget . That being said....I doubt he will ever forget to check any gun again.:grin:

That's ridiculous. Type/brand of weapon is irrelevant. Unloaded/made safe applies to ALL weapons.

There are no such things as "accidental discharges", only negligent ones.

Again, be thankful someone wasn't killed.

Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine, hammer down.
Condition Two: Round chambered, full magazine, hammer down.
Condition One: Round chambered, full magazine, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: Round chambered, full magazine, hammer cocked, safety off.

Personally, I side with Gauntlet on this. My hard and fast rule is, always, without fail drop the mag and check the chamber(s). I can be at a gun shop, and want to look at something. I will watch the clerk clear and safe the weapon, and as soon as it's in my hands, I do the same thing. Drop mag, clear chamber, safety on. I have no idea if that clerk actually knows what he's doing, and as the gun's in my hands, that makes me the responsible one.
I'm sorry for your brother's error, but the physics of weapons are quite unforgiving of mistakes.

Roger

Personally, I side with Gauntlet on this. My hard and fast rule is, always, without fail drop the mag and check the chamber(s). I can be at a gun shop, and want to look at something. I will watch the clerk clear and safe the weapon, and as soon as it's in my hands, I do the same thing. Drop mag, clear chamber, safety on. I have no idea if that clerk actually knows what he's doing, and as the gun's in my hands, that makes me the responsible one.
I'm sorry for your brother's error, but the physics of weapons are quite unforgiving of mistakes.

Roger

Thanks, I'll be "harsh" all day long when it comes to firearm responsibility, kid or adult.

You don't get a "do-over" once a round leaves the chamber.

That's ridiculous. Type/brand of weapon is irrelevant. Unloaded/made safe applies to ALL weapons.

There are no such things as "accidental discharges", only negligent ones.

Again, be thankful someone wasn't killed.

Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine, hammer down.
Condition Two: Round chambered, full magazine, hammer down.
Condition One: Round chambered, full magazine, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: Round chambered, full magazine, hammer cocked, safety off.

I understand your view point but,It not ridiculous, it life. And that's how all Glocks are made. That's also what I thought before it happened. No matter how many times you repeat that in your head you can always forget one time. If it happens to police men and military it can happen to anyone. But you are right, it could have been avoided.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom