Need some help with these three things

sandgroper

Elite Member
Could need some help identifying these things please:

Thing 1: Brass, rod. Found this at an early 1900's homesite yesterday. Just over a foot long, and about 1/2 an inch in diameter. One end has a dome on it, the other end has a hole in it. It's not a pipe.

Thing 2: Also found at an old homesite. I think it's some piece of cutlery. Thought it was a snapped spoon at first, but it's a whole piece with no breakage points. The thin part (presumably the handle?) has EPNS stamped on it (electro plated nickel silver)

Thing 3: Found at the same homesite thing 1 was found at. It's made of two parts, a brass dome with a knob at the top, and a ceramic piece at the bottom. The ceramic thing has a few holes at the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_2690.jpg
    IMG_2690.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_2691.jpg
    IMG_2691.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_2692.jpg
    IMG_2692.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_2693.jpg
    IMG_2693.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 267
2-butter knife

3-desk bell?

Thanks, yes it could be a butter knife, but I've never seen one like that before. I typed 'vintage butterknife' into google and found these which look quite similar.

Could be an old type of desk bell, and certainly looks like a modern one, I just can't explain the white ceramic.

Attachments

• stainless-steel-butter-knives-butter-knife-lot-mismatched-patterns-vintage-flatware-1stopretrosh.jpg
    stainless-steel-butter-knives-butter-knife-lot-mismatched-patterns-vintage-flatware-1stopretrosh.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 282
Perhaps item number three was a "toggle switch" device.
Ceramic was and is used as an insulator.
Imagine wires running through those holes, the switch could be moved in multiple positions, sending a signal that way.

Imagine wires running through those holes, the switch could be moved in multiple positions, sending a signal that way.

Thank you! I just put 'ceramic toggle switch' into google and it came up with a bunch of different things including an old light switch.

So I put 'vintage ceramic light switch' into google, and it came up with my item. How cool is that :lol: So I think you're right about wires coming out of them holes. Here's someone else's light switch

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 233
That first pic looks like some sort of gear shifting lever off of an old tractor, truck or other type of machinery.? That old electrical switch is neat and would make a perfect paper weight for the relic hunter!

That first pic looks like some sort of gear shifting lever off of an old tractor, truck or other type of machinery.? That old electrical switch is neat and would make a perfect paper weight for the relic hunter!

Ok, thanks! That light switch will be cleaned up today so I can put it with all my other relics in my 'museum'.

Yep, which should have been obvious to me. I've replaced some of them, along with old knob & tube wiring.

Back
Top Bottom