Lost Wedding Ring - Chincoteague, VA

jbaustin

Hi,

Yesterday afternoon (Jul 3rd) i lost my platinum wedding band while goofing around in the surf and on the beach with friends and a football - familiar story I'm sure. This has really hit us hard. My wife Justyna and I searched until after sunset, we discussed and researched our options overnight, and we're about to go back. This time we're hoping to see a friendly person with a detector.

Location is near the beach access trail off the Wildlife Loop of the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge.

If you can help, please contact us by phone (703-403-7719) or by private message on this forum (will get to our BlackBerrys).

Thank you,

Barry

sorry to hear your loss. My wife just lost her ring while on a camping trip in South Dakota and we didnt realize it until we were back in Miami. Hopefully it will still be in the area we were at when we go there next year.

Update

Our trip back to the beach didn't turn up the ring. And we didn't see anyone with a detector. :(

It was pointed out to us that detecting isn't allowed in federally controlled areas like the CNWR. I looked into it further and found that generally this is true - law enforcement will assume that a person with a detector is collecting or disturbing artifacts which is prohibited.

However, I asked and got permission from law enforcement there to detect for my lost ring. I told them we might bring a detector, we might bring a skilled person who has their own, and we might borrow theirs. This is all okay so long as we tell them the details in advance.

We bought a Garrett Sea Hunter II which should arrive tomorrow (Thursday). About a third of the search area is in water too deep for a regular detector.

So this weekend we'll be out there searching, maybe Friday too. If any of you can help now that it's legal please let us know.

Thanks,

Barry

Found!

On Sunday we found my ring! It was under the sand in shallow water. We used large bright orange stakes to set up a grid search. We swept the beach, roughly following the waterline as the tide went out, then we ventured into the water at low tide.

Thanks for your comments and encouragement!

Barry

Nicely Done

Way to go, best story I've heard of yet. Take up the hobby your pros already.awesome!

Congratulations!! I am so glad it worked out for you. Now you can see why we love the hobby. Hope this gets you started on the hobby.:yes:

Awesome !! Congrats on finding your ring! I bet you guys were happy! Be careful next time!

wtg.happy u found it. now u got a detector you should scout that area for other stuff. HH

On Sunday we found my ring! It was under the sand in shallow water. We used large bright orange stakes to set up a grid search. We swept the beach, roughly following the waterline as the tide went out, then we ventured into the water at low tide.

Thanks for your comments and encouragement!

Barry

Gratz!!!!!

I am glad you found the ring but this brings up a really good question. Do you guys ever consider the owners of the rings you guys find? I am new to MD so I haven't had the pleasure of using my own experience. I just think about how I would feel if I lost something like that, and its strange that we here congratulate the finds here on this forum at the expense of the feelings of those who lost it in the first place.

I am glad you found the ring but this brings up a really good question. Do you guys ever consider the owners of the rings you guys find? I am new to MD so I haven't had the pleasure of using my own experience. I just think about how I would feel if I lost something like that, and its strange that we here congratulate the finds here on this forum at the expense of the feelings of those who lost it in the first place.

Most people I know try hard to find a ring's owner, at least if it's a special or expensive ring (or both), heavy wedding bands, etc.

I think one should at least try...

Glad to hear you got it, and I would have helped the next time I was home to visit. I have connections with the Rangers considering I grew up with most of them or their parents! :lol: Since the beach moves so often there it would have been doubtful I could have done you any good. Most people do not realize that the southern tip of Assateague moves around and often with the hurricane season. Federal funding at times has almost allowed the beach to disappear in years past.

Lesson learned (I hope) - leave your jewelry at home or in the car when swimming or enjoying the beach. It will be found eventually if lost, but not often by the original owner......:shock:

The Shark

The memories of finding that thing I am sure will be never forgotten, for the finder and the owner. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom