Ethical question

I'd say personally you have to do what's right in your mind. Peoples responses top this question will be all over the board do I don't think you'll actually find the answer you're seeking out.

Me personally, I'd call him tell him I found it, and if he's cool with it, I'm going to sell it and I'll split the proceeds with him. You then leave it open for him to agree or have another idea. Either way, if you're really friends with him, can you keep a secret forever from him about finding the ring if you choose to keep quiet about it? If it was a freind of mine, I don't think I could but that's me.

Again, everyone brings up vaild points and I'm not slamming anyone with this post. She did throw it out so it is pretty much fair game.

some good answers, i would call him & tell him i found it, would you like to split the money when you sell it,like you said if it wasnt for your friend letting you no where it was you wouldnt of found it, i would split it with him for couple of reasons, friendship & kids, the ex threw it away she has no right to it, but by letting him no that you have it might make a difference later on in life of say more places to go mdiing that your friend might no of, just a thought.

How about this:
Sell the ring.
Send certified checks with no explanation to each of the following people.
Keep 10% for yourself, it was on your property and it's a finder's fee.
Give 10% to your friend, because he told you about it, though you may not know the whole story about the fight or who instigated it or the divorce. And you don't know if he actually pays his CS or medical bills the children might have, just like the mother.
Give 10% to the wife, for throwing out the ring and sentimental value. And you don't know how she spends the CS or does right by the children, just like the father.
Take the remaining 70%, divide it among the children, sending each of them checks of their share to them individually. Do this ALL anonymously.

That should cover everyone's claims and you don't have to become the divorce judge, you don't have to be a social worker, you don't have to know the whole story--which you'll never get anyways. Do it anonymously, never talk about it and you'll know in your heart you did some really nice things, especially for those kids.

That would be my opinion, Jill

Not sure there's a right, wrong or easy answer, I say let your conscience be your guide. Seeing how he apparently purchased it for her, in a marital dispute she threw it onto your lawn, he looked for and failed to find it, he told you it was there, he's apparently strapped for cash........I'd call and offer to return it to him. Just my 2 cents........
Mike

She threw the ring away. :mad: He could have bought or rented a metal detector and found the ring long ago but he didn't. :?: Keep the ring yourself and do what you want with it. :D

This thread is laughable

I love how he made up his mind and posted what he intends to do, but ppl are still posting here telling him he's wrong and giving there opinion. :no: This thread should be closed IMO

I posted a comment on FB about using my metal detector. My former neighbor from across the street commented that I shouldn't put my dector away because there was still a $2000 ring in my front yard, probably near the street.

It seems that he and his wife got into a tiff while they were still my neighbors (probably 3 years ago) and she threw it across the street into my yard. I guess he looked for it but couldn't find it.

I searched for about an hour and did find it. I'm very new to decting and haven't found much of anything yet. With the information he gave me, I did make a significant find. Since I am so new at this, what would be the right thing to do? He and his wife are now divorced, he pays a ton in child support, they both live in a different town now, but in the same state, so he would be able to come back here to get it. Finders keepers is pretty much the rule, but if he hadn't told me, I probably would have never detected in my front yard, especially near the street.

Would like to get some input on my quandry.

Every MD'ist hunts their own yard eventually, most do it right away after getting the MD out of the box. I don't think my box had hit the floor before I was outside in my FRONT YARD. His info wasn't that vital to your find. Most courts side with the wife if custody of the ring comes into question. Logic is HE gave it to HER and it's HER RING TO KEEP. Since she threw it away, I feel she gave up custody. Keep looking, in case someone else saw the post in FB (no need the ex get wind that you found it and drag you into court to retrieve it) and if he's a decent guy, call him and see if he wants it back. He may not...hopefully he didn't get caught in an affair or something. But he is the one who told you about it, so he is the one who should know about you finding it if anyone should.

Oh, and GOOD Job!

Truthfully if he was that worried about the ring and was a friend he would be asking you to look for him.

Sounds to me like his EX probably went and found it and just told you it was there thinking you as a friend would tell him. That way she could get enjoyment out of watching him on his hands and knees looking through your yard knowing she caused it all. probably intended on calling him some names making it look like he was there to hassle her if anything ever happened.:lol:

OK maybe i'm confusing her with something my EX would do.:lol:

Keep It

I believe law states that once he gave it to her it was hers and hers alone. If they divorced he has no claim on the ring unless she gives it back. If she discarded it on purpose it is her loss not his. He lost all right to ownership once he gave it to her. If she had retained the ring it would be her right to sell it, give it away or whatever and he has no legal interest. She threw it away and did not ask you to find it. Therefore it is your ring. He can't claim that which he doesn't own plus the divorce is settled and the property division legally made as well as accepted by both parties. You may be giving him something that will come back to bite you in the rear later if she finds out.

Back
Top Bottom