• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I Was Suckered!

This reminds me of when I bought my first detector from an unnamed vendor that included $150 (or something like that) "worth" of addons at a discount in a bundle or something... it was a bunch of cheap !!!!. The only thing that looked somewhat quality was the digger. It broke the first outing. Lol. No shame in living and learning.

For a few years I used a Minelab pouch until it wore out. I got one of the last remaining Sun Ray leather finds pouches. I use it for dirt fishing and a mesh bag for the beach. Works for me

Like penneyrich, I swear by the various handy bags in the tool section of Lowes/HomeD. Sometimes with a bit of modification, but I can always find another one I like.
Except for dry sand hunting, that is. There I have to use a mesh bottom bag if I want my britches to stay up and not look like some retarded yute.

be especially of non-brand name items from China

there are pin pointers that look like good brand name pin pointers but area !!!! made in China. And don't be fooled by Amazon verified purchased reviews. These off brand manufacturer will place the items on Amazon, and buy them and give themselves rave reviews. If you find a clone of a $125 American pin pointer for a steep discount, then run like hell in the other direction.

same goes for other metal detecting accessories. American companies might have their products made in China or elsewhere. But, they have good quality control on the manufacturing process and won't accept crappy produced product.

Want to save a few bucks, then go ahead and buy off brand clone look a likes. But those companies don't even have customer support much less any decent return policy or guarantee. Good luck even trying to contact them. Remember Amazon tries to police this !!!!, and will cancel their account for bad metrics. but these Chinese firms and wholesalers just pop up under a new name.

Finnish gas mask bag. Bought about 10 of them years ago for about $2/ea. Awesome bags. Modified a few for other things. Just getting into this so can not say how long they will last. But they are made out of fairly heavy canvas. Some are heavier than others and some can be well worn out when you buy them so look for the best condition you can.

Another good bag that may work is a sustainment pouch. It will be one large pouch with a lid. I think they are made with 250D cordura. They are awesome bags and have multiple uses.https://www.amazon.com/Official-Military-MOLLE-Sustainment-Woodland/dp/B01I0E2KVY

You might try a local church thrift store. They get a lot of donated luggage items and you can find belly pouches, camera cases, etc. Also a military surplus store has canvas ammo pouches and similar small canvas tote bags.

You could always go with the seamless coin pouches :laughing:

Attachments

• roo.jpg
    roo.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 147
No need to feel so bad....most everyone here at one time or another has bought something that didn't live up to expectations. Consider it a lesson learned and move on. This applies to all things whether it's a detector or an accessory.

You got a cheaper lesson than my latest money wasting purchase. I bought one of those 160 dollar beep and dig machines because it was supposed to be able to detect up closer to metal. I have not been able to fine a single coin with it. But pull tabs, can slaw and other trash ring up loud and clear. So I poured $160. down the drain. May see if I can find some sucker to buy it.

You got out cheap . I paid over 2700 dollars for a detector that was supposed to get deeper than the ones I already have and in the end it was no deeper than what I already own. Lesson learned everything doesn’t work as advertised.

My latest bag looks just about like the one that started this thread. Its not the Gray Ghost bag, but its called the Relic Elite Metal Detecting Pouch. I personally like mine. It holds everything i need except my machine and shovel. Has a back pocket with velcro patch that holds my cell phone perfect and cleanly and yet I can get to it quickly. Here is what it looks like:
20181112_140445.jpg
I keep my plug tarp, gloves, knee pads, trowel, sand scoop, pinpointer, several finds containers and my phone also. Once i put my knee pads and gloves on I choose either the sand scoop or digging trowel, depending on what im doing, and throw a bottle of water in and im hunting. This pouch costs the same 40.00 and looks very similar to the one that started this thread but I personally get along very well with it and have not modified it at all.

Attachments

• 20181112_140529.jpg
    20181112_140529.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 136
My latest bag looks just about like the one that started this thread. Its not the Gray Ghost bag, but its called the Relic Elite Metal Detecting Pouch. I personally like mine. It holds everything i need except my machine and shovel. Has a back pocket with velcro patch that holds my cell phone perfect and cleanly and yet I can get to it quickly. Here is what it looks like:
View attachment 428967
I keep my plug tarp, gloves, knee pads, trowel, sand scoop, pinpointer, several finds containers and my phone also. Once i put my knee pads and gloves on I choose either the sand scoop or digging trowel, depending on what im doing, and throw a bottle of water in and im hunting. This pouch costs the same 40.00 and looks very similar to the one that started this thread but I personally get along very well with it and have not modified it at all.

I have to say I do like the looks and the sounds of that pouch. I will be doing some looking at these. Thanks for the post and idea!!

Hi All, I must confess that I fell victim to the commercialization of metal detecting. In my zeal to get the "coolest and latest" gear, I purchased a new finds bag from Gray Ghost (Ultimate Catch All Bag). I spent 40 bucks on the bag. I figured that this bag would make my time in the field more enjoyable and efficient. Boy was I wrong. I was immediately disappointed in the quality of the bag. The material the bag was made from looks and feels cheap and the bottom of the bag is a thin mesh that doesn't look like it will stand up to many sharp trash objects that are dug up. The pin pointer gets caught on the sleeve when you try to place it in and the end of the pin pointer goes all the way in making it tricky to grab from the head of the pointer. I am using a Garrett Pin Pointer 2. I wish now that I would have saved my money and stuck to what I was using before. I was using a nylon carpenters nail bag that I already had and I modified one side to attach the pin pointer case that came with the pointer. It worked fine and will stand up to any sharp objects. I guess I learned a valuable lesson that the latest and greatest "shiny" thing is not always the best. Thanks for letting me vent. I hope this will be of some use to all the folks just getting into the hobby. HAPPY HUNTING!

Well... the good news is this is a self-funding hobby. Cash some clad and try out a few bags. :)

I personally treat myself to a new Garrett finds pouch every year. I love the zipper section for the finds, and the big trash pouch. If I ever start doing water hunting regularly, I'll just pop some grommets in to add drain holes without compromising the integrity of the pouch.

Good luck finding your new pouch!

Back
Top Bottom