ring or not?

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Found this in a tot lot yesterday. Looks like a nut but it has no threads and is gold colored not nickel or steel. What you think?

Attachments

• ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 479
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 481
Can not tell from a photo if Brass or Gold.

Is it ferrous, sticks to a magnet? If yes then brass plated steel.
If no, then you need to test it for gold.

I would have thought washer but there are no signs of wear/scratches on the sides which should be there if used as a washer/spacer.

Something like this from a jewelry store.

Attachments

• hexgold.jpg
    hexgold.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 417
  • il_570xN_1372745716_n6b5.jpg
    il_570xN_1372745716_n6b5.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 460
Smooth and round on the inside makes me think ring. Does it look plated? If so then it's not hardware. If not how well does it shine up?

I have hand crafted several rings from stainless nuts back when I worked, using machines in a machine shop. Third shift gets REALLY slow for that job title sometimes. I never left one with all of the corners though. What VDI does it give?

That's not stainless though. Too many scuffs for stainless. I'll be curious to see what it is.

Well it passes the magnet test. It is non ferrous. When I get a chance I'll try the gold test. The fact it was found in a tot lot we hunt every weekend and that it is more round than flat on the sides sure makes me think it was at least used as a ring.

Attachments

• 10-28-2018-2.jpg
    10-28-2018-2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 342
Certainly a ring!

Here's my wedding ring..

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20170503_225631.jpg
    IMG_20170503_225631.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 328
Looks like a ring. With all those smoothed and rounded edges I don't know what else it would be used for. Is it my imagination or is there a faint mark inside the ring at the top in the top pic?

I have hand crafted several rings from stainless nuts back when I worked, using machines in a machine shop. Third shift gets REALLY slow for that job title sometimes. I never left one with all of the corners though. What VDI does it give?

That's not stainless though. Too many scuffs for stainless. I'll be curious to see what it is.

We did the same thing in the navy. Long deployments!

Well it passes the magnet test. It is non ferrous. When I get a chance I'll try the gold test. The fact it was found in a tot lot we hunt every weekend and that it is more round than flat on the sides sure makes me think it was at least used as a ring.

I'd say it's a ring. :yes:

And I'll also ID that magnet you used as coming from a microwave :lol:

Back
Top Bottom