old coins from my old park

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
Old for some is ancient for me, as finding a coin that was minted 100 years or more in the past is a relatively rare thing in my world. I started metal detecting in mid 2017, I quickly became intrigued and then obsessed with finding older coins. It took me over a year to find my first 100 year old coin, a 1917 wheat.
I found that coin in what has become my favorite park. a It is a tough place to hunt because the trash layer is everywhere and some of our sketchiest residents hang out there. Situational awareness is mandatory and that makes it more difficult to concentrate on the squeaks and blips of the deeper targets. But I keep going back because I have found some of my oldest coins and relics there and have never seen another detectorist. My most recent trips have produced my first ever SLQ, a civil war era Naval button, and 1905ish saloon token (all reported in different threads). I have high expectations that this park will produce my first ever pre-1900 silver coin. Yesterday's efforts produced the two coins below , both of which cleaned up nicely with just water and a Q-Tip. The 1909 Canadian cent is just slightly larger than a quarter and probably the closest will ever get to a "large copper".
I might have few more days before the ground gets locked up for winter. Until then, good luck to everyone, stay safe and warm and thanks for looking !!

Attachments

• IHP 11-24-20 heads.jpg
    IHP 11-24-20 heads.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 242
  • IHP 11-24-20 tails.jpg
    IHP 11-24-20 tails.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 1909 canadian cent heads.jpg
    1909 canadian cent heads.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 224
  • 1909 canadian cent tails.jpg
    1909 canadian cent tails.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 226
Those are nice coins Todd! Congrats on the 1893 Indian and that good looking Canadian Large Cent! I agree, probably as close as we will get to a US Largie.

Nice finds in the difficult conditions, congrats
Thanks! The garbage here never goes away but the cold and wind does cut down a bit on the riffraff. Hunting in this trash has no doubt made me a better detectorist.

Excellent Indian Head and my first look at a large copper from Canada!
Thanks. I have only dug a handful of IHPs and this one is probably the best . And this was my first look at a Canadian large copper as well.

Those both did clean up nicely. Congratulations!
Yes, I was pleased with how they came out

Your soil is very kind to copper coins. Good job !
Thanks Tom, I wish they all came out like these. I don' t dig that many IHPs and this one is probably as good as they get for me. Many of the wheats and a few of the IHPs I have dug have a green cement like crust on them that will NOT come off.

Back
Top Bottom