Greetings from Iowa

Silverhorse65

Elite Member
New to the Forum here, obviously. I've been detecting for two and a half years in and around Central Iowa. My curiosity in the hobby was piqued by watching Curse of Oak Island and Gary Drayton. I can't imagine what that show and that guy have done for this hobby.

I probably started off like many on here. I was talking to my brother about Oak Island and how I wouldn't mind trying detecting. He mentioned having a $60 detector sitting in his garage that he'd purchased to find his boundary pins. I borrowed it and went to a local beach. A beach? In Iowa? Yeah, just a swimming hole at the local river. Found a bunch of clad and was hooked.

After a few months, I upgraded to a Fisher F22 in September of 2018 and detected with that through all of 2019. I hunted local parks and ball fields as well as my in laws farm property which dated back to the early 1900's. Fisher was great for coin shooting for clad. I was lucky enough to find three silvers that first full season including a 1903 barber dime.

In my quest to get the older stuff, I purchased an Equinox 600 this past June and have been enjoying that ever since. I hunt probably 3-5 days a week for an hour or two per hunt. Also enjoy watching several of my favorite Youtubers including Quarter Hoarder, Hoover Boys, Metal Detecting NYC, and Plugmaster Ford.

Sounds like so much fun have started as well using mlab go find now a bounty hunter trying to decide what's next an 800 or XP

Welcome....

Would you be a Hawkeye or Cyclone fan?

I have just started this hobby and have visited several small lake and river accesses.

Number one find has been fish hooks.

Single, treble, spoons, etc.

Be careful digging and wear gloves!

John,

I would be a Hawkeye grad, however, a huge HUSKER fan from living part of my childhood in Western Nebraska when they were winning National Titles in the 70's. You from Iowa?

Huskers...

Nice to have Nebraska as 1 of the 14 teams in the Big Ten.

I used to work with an Iowa alum who was a big fan.

And how could anyone not like Hayden Fry?

MSU is one of many fine institutions i attended for one term so therein lies my loyalty.

New to the Forum here, obviously. I've been detecting for two and a half years in and around Central Iowa. My curiosity in the hobby was piqued by watching Curse of Oak Island and Gary Drayton. I can't imagine what that show and that guy have done for this hobby.

I probably started off like many on here. I was talking to my brother about Oak Island and how I wouldn't mind trying detecting. He mentioned having a $60 detector sitting in his garage that he'd purchased to find his boundary pins. I borrowed it and went to a local beach. A beach? In Iowa? Yeah, just a swimming hole at the local river. Found a bunch of clad and was hooked.

After a few months, I upgraded to a Fisher F22 in September of 2018 and detected with that through all of 2019. I hunted local parks and ball fields as well as my in laws farm property which dated back to the early 1900's. Fisher was great for coin shooting for clad. I was lucky enough to find three silvers that first full season including a 1903 barber dime.

In my quest to get the older stuff, I purchased an Equinox 600 this past June and have been enjoying that ever since. I hunt probably 3-5 days a week for an hour or two per hunt. Also enjoy watching several of my favorite Youtubers including Quarter Hoarder, Hoover Boys, Metal Detecting NYC, and Plugmaster Ford.

Welcome to the forum! I’m a big hawkeyes fan in iowa city if you ever wanna come hunt pm me!

Back
Top Bottom