Logging your finds with friends

aeds151

Tramsey1 and myself are trying to come up with a system that we can “pin” locations, good or bad, on a map along with each “good” find and that can be easily shared between ourselves. This would be in hopes of us being able to somewhat organize where we have been in our town and what the hunting was like for that particular curb strip or permission site. Is there an app or a way to do something like this that you all know of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure about phone apps, but you could use Garmin's Base Camp PC app (with a Garmin) to build a map full of points and send them back and forth to each other. I use my Garmin 64st on every hunt to log my finds and track what I am doing. It also helps to organize the woods I am in and see where things are headed even comparing old topo maps to the Garmin ones to find home sites in the hills.

Last edited:
Tramsey1 and myself are trying to come up with a system that we can “pin” locations, good or bad, on a map along with each “good” find and that can be easily shared between ourselves. This would be in hopes of us being able to somewhat organize where we have been in our town and what the hunting was like for that particular curb strip or permission site. Is there an app or a way to do something like this that you all know of?

If you both have google accounts, then you could share/edit a single map in Google Maps. Each person could have their own layer to drop pins. Create the new custom map, drop and label a few pins to get started, and share the link privately with the other person. Or, each person creates their own map and shares it with each other just for viewing.

If one person has a google account and not the other, the person without the google account can only view the link but not edit it.

You can edit the map on a computer or on a phone with Google's MyMaps app.

I just made a totally fake example in 15 minutes and posted a screenshot below. Keep in mind that I use Google Maps a lot. I use it to mark areas of interest or boundaries on very large properties. I usually don't want to mess around with my phone when I'm hunting, so on large properties I export some of this data to a Garmin GPS device. The batteries last a long time, it's rugged, and marking a location or checking a boundary or point of interest can be done in a couple button presses while wearing gloves. Then after I get home I can transfer the coordinates back to the Google Map.

Attachments

• places1.JPG
    places1.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 321
  • places2.JPG
    places2.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 310
  • places3.JPG
    places3.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 293
  • places 4.jpg
    places 4.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 355
I just keep a formal log book. I write the date, place, weather conditions, and finds in that spot. Seems to work for me. Besides, its not electronic so you never lose the data.;)

I believe the onX Hunt application can do this. You can send them an email to confirm. I mark waypoints for all of my good finds. There's an option to share.

I would never give out my goods spots to anyone, even to a friend. Too easy to get burned when they tell all their friends about your spot. But I will gladly tell anyone about all the lousy spots I've hit over the years. That can also be very helpful information.

I would never give out my goods spots to anyone, even to a friend. Too easy to get burned when they tell all their friends about your spot. But I will gladly tell anyone about all the lousy spots I've hit over the years. That can also be very helpful information.
........................X-2
A lot of time and effort goes into the research and the little secrets to share freely. Unless your one of the ones looking for a easy way to find the honey.

I would guess there are plenty of geocaching apps out there that would probably work for MDing as well. Not really looked into them much so can't offer any advice on which one to try.

Kinda hard not to give up my “good spots” when I say hey come look at this and my buddy walks the 10 yards over. We are just trying to log our stuff so we can look at a map to make picking a place for next hunt easier.

I guess I’m old school as my best app is my mind. I know of every spot I’ve hunted in the last decade, and the hundreds of significant coins dug. Most of my spots have been shared with at least one buddy, bothers me not a bit if they hit ‘my spot’ without me. I am most fond of my research in locating ‘invisible’ one room school houses. The last took me a couple years to locate. Went with a couple buddies on my first visit there, was a blast even though I got skunked and they didn’t. Personally, I’d rather hunt with a group because I consider it competition and I enjoy when others make good finds.

Concept of an app is interesting though.

I will use google
Mymapps app thanks!

I would guess there are plenty of geocaching apps out there that would probably work for MDing as well. Not really looked into them much so can't offer any advice on which one to try.

I tried doing geocaching once. I have three GPS units and each one of them read differently. For a while I even buried a silver coin or something and gave out the GPS numbers here on the forum. From there you used your detector to find the target.

Very good point FBT. I know my spots through memory. After getting a "new friend" into the hobby , I noticed after a few months , each time we got to a spot they were on their phone. Later I find that they are "dropping a pin" on some app map. No big deal but it kinda was. A few more months go by and I'm on a hot spot by myself on a beach. 2 straight days I get gold and silver and mega clad. I send pics to my friend. They want to know where I'm getting this stuff exactly. I tell them. The 3rd day I go out and most of it is dried up. BUT , 2 guys I've never seen before show up and start hunting. I watched from a distance as they dug a few targets , then I left. That spot was done. Definitely perked my attention. A few more weeks go by and I ask this friend if they want to go hunt. They say no , too busy. On my 2nd beach I hit , who do I see ? Yup....and they were hunting with someone else. That ended our friendship. But maybe they weren't a friend to begin with. Oh well...live and learn.

Very good point FBT. I know my spots through memory. After getting a "new friend" into the hobby , I noticed after a few months , each time we got to a spot they were on their phone. Later I find that they are "dropping a pin" on some app map. No big deal but it kinda was. A few more months go by and I'm on a hot spot by myself on a beach. 2 straight days I get gold and silver and mega clad. I send pics to my friend. They want to know where I'm getting this stuff exactly. I tell them. The 3rd day I go out and most of it is dried up. BUT , 2 guys I've never seen before show up and start hunting. I watched from a distance as they dug a few targets , then I left. That spot was done. Definitely perked my attention. A few more weeks go by and I ask this friend if they want to go hunt. They say no , too busy. On my 2nd beach I hit , who do I see ? Yup....and they were hunting with someone else. That ended our friendship. But maybe they weren't a friend to begin with. Oh well...live and learn.

Ya a $4 dime nor $2.66 in clad is not worth loosing a friend over haha.

Ya a $4 dime nor $2.66 in clad is not worth loosing a friend over haha.

But the lying and trust is. Totally GONE. If your gonna get burned for chump change...what's next ?

Ya just pick better friends I guess. Anyway, google mymapps is sweet haha!

I'm going to try google maps. Primarily to remember where we've hunted in each park we go to.

As for a friend giving out our "secrets", my hunting buddy doesn't have any other hunting buddies so I don't worry about that at all.

.......remember where we've hunted in each park we go to.......

Pro-tip: It is possible to draw boundaries/lines as a layer in Google MyMaps. I've used it to draw lines/shaded areas on larger permissions without any clear property lines. I can check my phone or garmin to make sure I'm not over the line.

It appears that this app doesnt work the same as a desktop version? Is this correct? It would be nice to do this from the computer i carry on my person everyday rather than a laptop/desktop i hate using anymore.
Edit: I think it is more of an apple phone with google maps issue so that it forces ones had to get a android phone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom