OK...Lets hear everyones opinion on the nox 6inch coil

Excellent coil. Overall good depth for such a liitle coil. But i can do the same with the stock coil even in super trashy area. Personal preference i guess. Its so light though nice to swing it.

I have used darn near every small coil for every machine I have used. This is the first one I have truly been impressed with. Others will find stuff but you loose a significant amount in depth. Almost to the point of not wanting to use the small coil. Obviously it's not made for depth. I have routinely pulled 7-8" coin with this little bugger!

Used mine for the first time today on a field I have hunted heavily with the 11" coil...

I can't say I found much more with it, although I did find a nice WW1 Royal Artillery cap badge..

What I will say is that you need to swing it nice and slow otherwise it is easy to miss targets...

Pinpointing is a doddle, and it feels like a wand compared to the 11" coil...

The six inch coil works with about the same sweep speed for me as with the 11. I run recovery speed on the 600 at 3, and six on the 800.

Love it! The 6ā€er stays on my Nox 800 full time. I use the CTX for coin shooting cleaner ground and the Equinox with 6ā€ coil for sniping keepers from trashy spots. Gets in between junk like a laser beam, easy to swing and excellent depth for its size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6" coil is a huge advantage if you're searching in tight spaces. In my opinion the same is true for trashy areas, though a some people claim the 11" is just as good at separating targets.

Pinpointing is very easy with the 6" coil. I rarely switch the 800 to pinpoint mode because swinging an X pattern is so reliable.

I relic hunt in the woods primarily, so the 6" coil stays on my detector. For more open areas I go to the 15" coil. The 11" coil rarely gets used.

I did not consider my 800 fully complete and optimum until I got mine.
In my dirt with my issues, mineralization, massive trash and iron, it is a necessary accessory and the depth can be surprising, actually shocking.
The standard coil works as good, if not better, than any larger coil I have ever used on any other detector as far as separation and picking out tiny great targets in infested sites but...I gotta believe there are at least a few situations where the smaller coil is just a little better at it.
Even one stellar target or bucket lister I am able to find at all or even just a bit easier than I could have with the bigger coil makes it well worth the price.
To me.

It is my coil of choice most of the time in most of the sites I hunt.

I did not consider my 800 fully complete and optimum until I got mine.
In my dirt with my issues, mineralization, massive trash and iron, it is a necessary accessory and the depth can be surprising, actually shocking.
The standard coil works as good, if not better, than any larger coil I have ever used on any other detector as far as separation and picking out tiny great targets in infested sites but...I gotta believe there are at least a few situations where the smaller coil is just a little better at it.
Even one stellar target or bucket lister I am able to find at all or even just a bit easier than I could have with the bigger coil makes it well worth the price.
To me.

It is my coil of choice most of the time in most of the sites I hunt.

My 6 inch just came in today..hope it doesnt rain tomoro

I guess Iā€™ll be the party pooper and not rave on the 6ā€ coil. Iā€™ve owned the 6ā€ coil for as long as Iā€™ve owned the machine (about 2 years), but I can count on my two hands the number of times Iā€™ve used it. I usually only strap it on when corn or bean stubble in harvested fields or high weeds on an overgrown site interferes with an effective swing with the larger coil.

My overall impression is that I tend to get fooled by iron nails a lot more often with the 6ā€ coil. Further, the separation provided by the 6ā€ doesnā€™t seem to be any better than the 11ā€, but ground coverage certainly is diminished. Hereā€™s a thread from Detectorprospector.com discussing the 6ā€ vs 8ā€ Equinox coils which also includes a video from CalabashDigger which you might find enlightening: Detectorprospector.com: 11 Inch Coil Vs 6 Inch Coil...

To the 6ā€ coilā€™s credit, depth doesnā€™t seem to be impacted as much as you might expect, and itā€™s ā€œhotterā€ on smaller items due to the more compact electromagnetic magnetic field. The depth situation between small vs large coils is actually more complicated than just straight up depth - target size plays a role, too: Steve Herschbachā€™s post from the same Detectorprospector.com thread regarding 6ā€ vs 8ā€ coil

I take about a 6 year break and everybody has a Nox 800 now. Etrac and ctx 3030 was killing it around the country back then.

I consider it a specialty coil. I'll put it on to go back over trashy hot spots, get in closer to obstructions, etc... Great for curb strips. For woods hunting with a lot of brush and vegetation I'll use the 6 inch on the Equinox or more often the 5x8 on the AT Pro. I can see how somebody like Rattlehead would use one all the time if I'm correctly remembering where he tends to hunt. Around old foundations and such.

Super lightweight and can swing it all day, even though I don't.

Full coil width depth in clean dirt. It easily hits pennies and nickels at 5 inches plus an inch or two of grass.

As AirMetTango stated, it's also good at 'unmasking' small false high tone signals.

Because it's so easy to go fast and/or have bad sweep coverage, it's also easy to clip the edge of a good signal which can like nothing special and not react to it. I constantly remind myself to use good swing fundamentals because the longer I spend in the hobby the more I believe consistent success comes down to great coverage over good dirt.

Other general differences in my approach with the 6" coil to reduce bad iffy signals and emphasize the good iffy signals:

1. Higher iron bias than what I would use with the stock coil on the same dirt.

2. Slightly slower recovery speed and swing speed than what I would use with the stock coil on the same dirt.

3. Notch out the top few numbers 37-40. It's extremely unlikely the coil is going to unmask a silver dollar the stock coil completely missed.

4. Regularly remind myself that a good target--even if partially masked--should still have footprint large enough that I can waggle forward or backward a little bit and maintain the high tone. Otherwise, it's probably the tip or edge of a junk target throwing a high tone. A small signal under a small coil is a very small target. I've dug plenty of those iffy signals with the small coil and the good targets always gave a large enough signal to have some "waggle room" on the 6 inch coil.

5. I sometimes hunt in 50 tones with the large coil, but I'm pretty sure hunting in 50 tones with the small coil would be madness.

Lots of good advice in the post above. Especially this one:
2. Slightly slower recovery speed and swing speed than what I would use with the stock coil on the same dirt.

Yep. Speed is key. If you run a high recovery speed and sweep fast with the small coil, I can damn near guarantee youā€™ll be unhappy with it. Slow way down with a lower recovery speed, paying close attention to your sweep coverage and itā€™s outstanding IMHO.

I love getting those nice obvious signals in clean ground just as much as the next guy.. But this little coil makes picking through the trash looking for those tough targets a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rarely use the 6" coil for relic or coin and jewelry unless there is an area at a site with incredible amounts of shallow iron or aluminum trash. If I do use it in thick iron I use 2 tones in whatever mode I am using and dig anything that obviously isn't iron.

I always use the 6" coil gold prospecting in higher mineralization and in shallow surf at saltwater beaches. It makes working shallow surf very easy. The 11" coil is like a boat anchor in shallow breaking surf.

Swinging much slower is absolutely a must with the 6" coil. It will hit 8 to 10" coin sized or bigger targets if the mineralization isn't too high.

For gold prospecting, I swing it really slowly in the Gold modes with next to nothing rejected and listen for clean small sounding zippy targets.

The stock coil separates pretty good, but the 6" is easier to use slowly through a carpet of pulltabs.
Also nice coil to swing in the woods or around other obstacles.
They say it is less effected by EMI too, but I haven't verified that for sure.

Handy specialty coil to have, but for most it is a luxury more than necessity.

Back
Top Bottom