*Updated* One Zincoln Signal Out of 15 Saves The Hunt

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
With a couple hours to kill, I went back to the same park that fooled me last week with a crusty 10” deep coin with a beautiful green patina that turned out to be a clad quarter. Yep, I’m a glutton for punishment ;) But since there’s good history there, and there were so many areas of the park I hadn’t explored yet, I figured it was worth another visit to see if I could get over something good. Well, at the end of the hunt, I managed $1.56 in clad, 14¢ of which consisted of rotting Zincolns - not exactly what I was hoping for! :lol:

But halfway through the hunt I got over something that demonstrates why I tolerate digging those Zincoln signals in parks. As I hunted the turf paralleling a stream that cuts through the park, I got the familiar “ting, ting” and solid 21 VDI (EQ800) as I swung back and forth. I didn’t spend a lot of time evaluating the signal at all - I turned slightly and swung two or three times again just to confirm it wasn’t junk. Still solid 21, showing no more than 4” deep, and the tone across the board had a consistent “good”, tight quality to it. All this I evaluated in less than 3 seconds. Yep - this was a high probably of a Zincoln.

But you never know, so I cut my plug. It didn’t take long to realize something was up...as I dug down toward 6”, it was clear this item was deeper and, maybe more importantly, bigger than expected. “Dang it...fooled by can slaw?” From about 7” down, I unearthed a big, thin square of corroded metal, curled a bit on one end. At first it just looked like a random chunk of discarded iron, but as I examined it, I thought I could make out a letter or two on the surface. Knocking some dirt out of the curl, I noticed it had a slot cut along the top...”cool, maybe it’s some sort of old tool tag”, I thought.

When I got it home, it became clear that the cleaning was going to be a chore - this thing was beyond crusty! What I originally thought was dirt on the surface turned out to actually be a concrete-like layer tenaciously adhering to the metal surface:

E5BAB8D5-6772-4990-B1A2-646A8A877DFF.jpg

All my usual cleaning methods proved almost completely ineffective, so I turned to my newest best friend, naval jelly. It took several rounds of naval jelly followed by baking soda, but I finally started wearing down the crud enough to see what I had...an old railway baggage tag, my first!

F9EA7D21-92D3-4C83-9D37-A5C8270A1836.jpg

I still hadn’t cleaned off quite enough crud to get a positive ID on the railway with the naval jelly. Since I was unavoidably down to bare metal in plenty of spots to make the progress I had, I decided I may as well go all in and clean even more aggressively. I started hitting it with 0000 steel wool and finally revealed the lettering in full: “T. & I. Ry. Co.”

3F2D6B4A-554B-4965-B941-5B65C3343165.jpg

The Toledo and Indiana Railway Company was an electric interurban rail line incorporated in 1901 to provide service from Toledo to Bryan, OH as part of a network extending as far west as Indianapolis and Chicago. In 1910 and 1911, the railway underwent official name changes from “Railway Co.” to “Traction Co.” and then finally “Railroad Co.”, so that implies this tag could very well be from 1901-1910! The company abandoned their tracks and folded in 1939 after improved roads, greater prevalence of cars and trucks, and the Great Depression all combined to make financial life way to difficult for interurban lines everywhere. And it turns out the rail line passed not too far from the park. Here’s a couple sites with a little history on the company:

https://digital-collections.columbuslibrary.org/digital/collection/transport/id/8468/

http://thevillagereporter.com/1901-the-toledo-indiana-railway-incorporated/

A cool little piece of local history, and I have no doubt it got passed over by countless other hunters because it sounded like a Zincoln.

Attachments

• 3E5C98DE-2BE0-4851-8B74-C33753534136.jpeg
    3E5C98DE-2BE0-4851-8B74-C33753534136.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:
Cool tag. Odds are I would have tossed that in my trash bag. So, good save as well. Thanks for the history. Isn't it funny how you can find evidence of a company or business that was going to make history, yet it ends up becoming history? If that makes any sense?

tag

Great find !! These are my favorite type of finds ! Would rather find something like this with some real history then a handful of mercury dimes,, Congrats !! Tony AZ:cool3:

That park has produced some very nice display items. Nice job on the research. Northwest Ohio definitely has some very difference history. Good job keep them coming. HH

good sleuthing work following the find. In some ways, better than an old coin, since it has a story to tell, eh ?

Cool tag. Odds are I would have tossed that in my trash bag. So, good save as well. Thanks for the history. Isn't it funny how you can find evidence of a company or business that was going to make history, yet it ends up becoming history? If that makes any sense?

If that tiny bit of lettering hadn’t been peeking through, it sure would have looked like junk to me, too! I know what you mean about becoming history instead of making history...but at least they became interesting history! :D

Great find !! These are my favorite type of finds ! Would rather find something like this with some real history then a handful of mercury dimes,, Congrats !! Tony AZ:cool3:

I completely agree, Tony! This is the kind of stuff that really keeps me interested in detecting! Don’t get me wrong, the old coins are fun, too. But I’ll always prefer something like this to a coin - a cool piece of local history, dripping with stories to tell. Coins have history, but it’s generic - something like this is much more unique and personal.

Nice find, Congrats. Great write up and pics too.

Thanks MuddyMo! Glad you enjoyed it!

That is a cool find... with history! Congrats

Thanks Jim! It’s just as much fun to research these types of finds as it is to find them!

Awesome find! Those old RR tags can be quite valuable too!
Check out this FB group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1726860690956288/?ref=share

Thanks Rattlehead! I remember helping to ID your Chattanooga Rome & Columbus RR tag earlier this year...now I have a tag of my own! The research is part of the fun for me. It’s one of my favorite finds of the year, and cool to see it could have some monetary value beyond the historic value!

That park has produced some very nice display items. Nice job on the research. Northwest Ohio definitely has some very difference history. Good job keep them coming. HH

Thanks Dan!

Very cool Baggage Tag!

Thanks LovestheShiny!

good sleuthing work following the find. In some ways, better than an old coin, since it has a story to tell, eh ?

Thanks Tom! Better than an old coin in most ways, in my opinion. Coins have history, but it’s generic. This kind of find is much more unique and personal, and oozes local history. I love the unspoken, implied history wrapped into items like this!

Nice find, research, and restoration!

Thanks TS! I really like how it turned out, as well. I went a lot further than I usually go with the cleaning/restoration - I generally like to leave as much of the patina as I can on my relics. But in this case, the dirt attached to it was literally like concrete, so I had no choice but to go down to the bare metal to get it readable. Still, there's enough crust still attached to show it's true story, without being distracting - the battle scars just add character :cool3:

That is an awesome tag and old photo to go with it! I’d print the photo and frame it with the tag! So sweet, congrats!

Holy cats!! Why didn't I think of that?? Great idea, GS! I'm doing it! :cool3:

That is an awesome tag and old photo to go with it! I’d print the photo and frame it with the tag! So sweet, congrats!

Holy cats!! Why didn't I think of that?? Great idea, GS! I'm doing it! :cool3:

I’ve been running with your idea, GS! I’ve done some more research and found some other T&I related stuff to include in an 11x14 shadow box display. Here’s a pic of my rough layout so far, just spread on the kitchen table. I’m planning to artificially age the paper items to give it a more authentic feel. Not sure if I’m going to keep the work uniform buttons in the display - they aren’t really T&I related, but they have a railroad motif so I thought it might add interest.

I’ll post the final product once it’s done.

Attachments

• 8DE4EE13-8EA7-413F-9619-F981B51AF42A.jpg
    8DE4EE13-8EA7-413F-9619-F981B51AF42A.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 292
I’ve been running with your idea, GS! I’ve done some more research and found some other T&I related stuff to include in an 11x14 shadow box display. Here’s a pic of my rough layout so far, just spread on the kitchen table. I’m planning to artificially age the paper items to give it a more authentic feel. Not sure if I’m going to keep the work uniform buttons in the display - they aren’t really T&I related, but they have a railroad motif so I thought it might add interest.

I’ll post the final product once it’s done.

That is pure awesomeness! Very cool display of historic finds/history!

Finished Shadowbox

Finally was able to finish the display box to showcase my Toledo & Indiana luggage tag and a few other minor railroad related buttons that I dug. The shadowbox is 11x14”, and I managed to stuff it pretty full of neat stuff. I used the old tea and coffee trick to age the T&I paperwork that I found copies of, and photoshop to give some aged coloring to the trolley prints. Walmart printed those out for me for a few cents each. I even included a dug Barber dime and an IHP from the same time period, figuring it was the coinage used to pay the fares :cool3:

Now all I have to do is figure out where to hang it :D

Attachments

• E6DB0162-F8FA-4C25-8107-B5419958D970.jpg
    E6DB0162-F8FA-4C25-8107-B5419958D970.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 210
  • B6C810B8-9B3B-4692-88AD-31B97B16AFCA.jpg
    B6C810B8-9B3B-4692-88AD-31B97B16AFCA.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 8575A641-C6F8-4C26-A0BB-64A9AA245349.jpg
    8575A641-C6F8-4C26-A0BB-64A9AA245349.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 209
  • E940042A-ACD4-4EE5-8951-19A005E003C0.jpg