• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1893 Barber Quarter, Token, Buttons, Play Money!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I was able to get out and detect a bit lately, met my local friend (Nox 800) and we did a trip to Missoula yesterday, and I did a short solo one yard local detect today.

My friend did really well in Missoula, 2 Indian Head Cents, a nice 1911 V Nickel, wheat pennies, and the only silver for both of us, a 1935 Merc Dime. I ended up with a lot of wheat pennies, I think I found 10 wheaties as my first coins, but could not get the coil over any shiny. I did get a Medford Oklahoma trade token (odd, that is the 3rd one from that Okla town that I've found in Missoula), a cool early FIRE DEPARTMENT button with crossed hose nozzles, a winged Bird Flying over Mountains button, a couple of aluminum play money coins, a 1921 Canadian Cent with King George V, and an early LION pendant with fake diamond inside mouth. That one was at least 9" down in the soft moist soil. I did pick up enough clad to pay the gas to Missoula and back!

Today I headed out hoping to get one permission, it was cloudy and just above freezing, but I did get the OK at a ca 1920's stucco home with large front yard. One half of the yard produced a couple of copper Memorial Cents, some clad dimes and clad quarters, but the other half had older stuff, including a few wheat cents (which I gave to the owner) and a nice 1893-O Barber Quarter! The target rang up 85-86 on the AT Pro and it was deep, so I knew I had a chance for silver. I thought it might be a dime, so was happily surprised to see that Silver Quarter in the black dirt. Another cool find in the front yard was an old 1930's metal sedan toy car. The last find as I headed toward my car was a faint high tone, deep. I pulled out a copper Franklin D. Roosevelt 1 cent Lucky Play Money coin. Research shows these were minted in 1935. The Pro did a good job to track that one down. Anyway, a couple of fun hunts with some good and odd finds, thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• detect1.jpg
    detect1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 254
  • detect2.jpg
    detect2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 239
  • detect3.jpg
    detect3.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 236
  • detect4.jpg
    detect4.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 215
  • detect5.jpg
    detect5.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 240
  • detect6.jpg
    detect6.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 215
I like the square trade token and the barber quarter. Good show !

Nice finds!! That token is amazing!! I’ve found the same one here in Central KS but it was a different shape
a2a14f6f9d2cd1d2b29eac7b80459829.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the square trade token and the barber quarter. Good show !

Thanks Tom!

Nice finds!! That token is amazing!! I’ve found the same one here in Central KS but it was a different shape
a2a14f6f9d2cd1d2b29eac7b80459829.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool, thanks gseuser! Here is a pic of the other Medford Okla token I found in Missoula. I got one and my detecting buddy found the other. They were on opposite sides of a small bush in the front yard of a home there. My other example is different from the others. Found in July of 2017.

Attachments

• token.jpg
    token.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 203
Great assortment of good stuff. Congrats on the haul! We probably only have a few more days to make it count!

Barbers' bring in a premium congrats!

Thank you JAK!

Great assortment of good stuff. Congrats on the haul! We probably only have a few more days to make it count!

Thanks Todd, same date Barber as your nice IHP! Looks like daytime temps in the low 40's until about Dec 8th, so I hope to get out a few more times! Good luck on your detecting!

A very nice outing. Highlights with the token, barber quarter and fire dept button.

Congrats,

Rich

Congrats on the Barber quarter LTS and all the other cool finds. Never knew there was FDR play coins. Pretty cool. Good luck, Mark

A very nice outing. Highlights with the token, barber quarter and fire dept button.

Congrats,

Rich

Thank you Rich!

Another great hunt ! Great finds , write up and pictures . Congrats !

Thank you Soil Surgeon!

that car is super cool, all great stuff
big silver and tokens

Thank you campnagle. I agree, that car is old and pretty cool!

Congrats on the Barber quarter LTS and all the other cool finds. Never knew there was FDR play coins. Pretty cool. Good luck, Mark

Thank you Mark! That FDR Play Money coin was about 8" down, I barely detected it, as it is about half the size of a dime. I wondered if I had found some sort of foreign coin as I could just make out the bust image on the front, but cleaned it up a bit and saw Lucky Play Money on the back.

Back
Top Bottom