1840s Farm House Finds

Detectingman

Decided to start focusing more on relic hunting by looking on old maps and atlases for old homesites. Hit up a house site in the woods today, the house is gone but have been hitting where I think it is. Ended up finding these during the past two hunts. Would anyone happen to know the years on these? The top brooch is very detailed and would love to know the year or possible artist. Believe all these are brass. Also, going to clean this and am researching that right now.

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 274
Very nice. I love old decorative odds and ends. The top and right piece are very much in the late 1800s/early 1900s Art Nouveau style. The top piece is really cool. Almost like a shell and a flower/plant merged. See how the piece on the right is almost like a bee or butterfly yet with intricate floral elements? Typical of the style.

The piece on the left is getting more into the late 1910s to 1920s Art Deco style.

Obviously, there's overlap and just because a time period ended doesn't mean some designs weren't still made off and on to satisfy people's preferences.

So, for example, the piece on the bottom could be mid to late 1800s or well into the 1900s because that Gothic/Classical style was so popular for so long. So, where it was found and what else was found around it has a big influence on dating it.

Very nice. I love old decorative odds and ends. The top and right piece are very much in the late 1800s/early 1900s Art Nouveau style. The top piece is really cool. Almost like a shell and a flower/plant merged. See how the piece on the right is almost like a bee or butterfly yet with intricate floral elements? Typical of the style.

The piece on the left is getting more into the late 1910s to 1920s Art Deco style.

Obviously, there's overlap and just because a time period ended doesn't mean some designs weren't still made off and on to satisfy people's preferences.

So, for example, the piece on the bottom could be mid to late 1800s or well into the 1900s because that Gothic/Classical style was so popular for so long. So, where it was found and what else was found around it has a big influence on dating it.

Thanks for the dates ToySoldier! Yeah I am really enjoying hunting these older house sites just because of the randomness of the finds. The dates you are giving fit in with the age of the property. So far have found a couple wheaties on this site but hoping to find some silver. I started hunting old house sites a few weeks ago and really enjoy it more than modern park hunting. Found a few old house sites way back in a local woods but sadly since winter is now approaching don't know if i will be able to get there in time. It's fun researching, going deep in the woods, and finding this stuff. Haven't located any cellar holes yet but eventually one should turn up...:cool:

Back
Top Bottom