• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Large Cent?

Jdjeff

I just found this today and the first thing I thought of was a large cent. Then I thought it might be a electrical box knockout. But when you drop it on a hard surface like a table it gives off a coin sound. Those knockouts usually have a dead sounding thud when you drop them. I put it under my microscope and can't see anything obvious. The photos are both sides with the quarter just for reference. I was wondering if electrolosys would work...I never tried it before. I have 2 power supplies here 12V and 24V and was looking for a "how to" sticky post on that. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial on electrolosys with a power supply? Any other ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20201128_192753.jpg
    20201128_192753.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 20201128_192836.jpg
    20201128_192836.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 215
That's toasty! but a Large Cent is a plausible identification. I wouldn't waste time with electrolysis. Can't imagine it would bring out any details.

It came up as a 23 on the Equinox 800. I just checked it again. I found this in the same area within 20ft of the 1900 Barber Quarter I posted a few weeks ago

Very possibly a LC or a colonial copper. If you can see a slight/fairly good ID image from the object perhaps some electrolysis might work a bit. But from the looks of it is too far gone. At least I think you found some good dirt to hunt in for some potential good finds.

Back
Top Bottom