Bucket Lister, 3 IHP's and some Wheats

Chuck B

After being sidelined for about 2 months due to back surgery, I was able to get out for a few hours hunt. This was may first Farm/Field hunt. A buddy at work got me a permission at a father/son Farm. It's a large farm, 500 acres spread out all over. Anyway, after introductions and a tour I was able to start swinging the coil. Not much luck in the field nor the pastures, there were houses there a long time ago but will need to research to know exactly where they were, the owners aren't sure. So I spent some time around the house. It was built early 1900's. I was told it had been hunted 2x prior and I would probably waste my time trying. Ended up with 3 IHP's, 7 Wheats (a 1909, 1910, couple of 17's, an 18-D, a 25 and 56-D). I also snagged my first silver thimble! It's stamped "M & S" and has a "10" on it (size). I was told I can come back anytime. HH !

Attachments

• IMG_9008.jpg
    IMG_9008.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_9019.jpg
    IMG_9019.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_9012.jpg
    IMG_9012.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_9018.jpg
    IMG_9018.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_9017.jpg
    IMG_9017.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 246
......I was told it had been hunted 2x prior and I would probably waste my time trying. Ended up with 3 IHP's, 7 Wheats (a 1909, 1910, couple of 17's, an 18-D, a 25 and 56-D). I also snagged my first silver thimble! It's stamped "M & S" and has a "10" on it (size). .......

Sweet!

The previous detectorists must have been worn out from digging up all of the silver quarters and half dollars.

Great finds. I so want a nice silver thimble. Still on my bucket list. Congrats

Thanks TNT, it rang up 25-27 on my 800, I had not found any clad so I had an inkling it might be silver ring but was pleasantly surprised.

Sweet!

The previous detectorists must have been worn out from digging up all of the silver quarters and half dollars.

LOL... Probably, but I'll take it.

Beautiful thimble, IH's cleaned up great, sore back?

Thanks, no sore back from that, if anything the walking helps. My back is stiff if I sit too long or when I first get up but it is 100% better then before. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'm just glad to get back out there.

That was quite a hunt! The thimble and IHPs are in great condition. Just wait until you figure out where the old home sites were!

A back injury and subsequent surgery are the reason I started metal detecting. The "sport" does provide the opportunity for a lot of hiking and stretching. Good to see you're able to get out and about.

Sounds like a great spot! It’s always good to have those permissions to keep going back to! Silver thimble has eluded me, nice find!

Nice finds 👍🏻 must of been in some nice soil the Indians are in good shape.

Boy oh boy, the green on those IHPs when they are fresh-dug is gorgeous. I cannot wait until I find just one...

Holy smokes your ground was kind to those IH's ! Good job.

Thanks Tom. I cleaned them with a toothpick and then a lightly used an Andre's pencil on them. They were found in the front yard of the owner's house, he's lived there since he was a kid (he's 92 now) and they never fertilized the lawn. I guess that explains why it was mostly clover, lol. Anyway, I agree they look good for being in the ground that long. I've found other's that are terrible. I went back there this past weekend and found an 1882 IHP and a 1917 Mercury dime and about 6 early wheats. Love them permissions.

Back
Top Bottom