• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

sledding spots

John Madill

Elite Member
Hi

i was perusing the Bounty Hunter website this morning.

they have a page where owners show off their finds.

one fellow said he had great luck in the summer detecting wintertime sledding hills.

any one here with similar luck?

Hi

i was perusing the Bounty Hunter website this morning.

they have a page where owners show off their finds.

one fellow said he had great luck in the summer detecting wintertime sledding hills.

any one here with similar luck?

Sure have, John... My last three Mercury dimes were all from a sledding hill at an older city park.

Yes. Found/finding mostly clads. More finds closer to parking area where outer garments are put on/taken off. Should be a good bet for rings.
Cheers,
R

Went out yesterday in 32 degree 30 mph winds (no gloves) ouch and hit a small sledding on an old park. The hill contains newer fill and pretty much barren as I believe every newer detectorist that comes here starts at the hill.

I did have luck on the sides where the original grade is, dug a merc and wheat the first 10 minutes.

At another park about 10 ares, mostly sledding areas popular for close to 100 years old, is mostly barren of coins despite constant year round use. It’s just been hammered in the past.

Not a lot of Sledding here - pretty flat and lack of snow. However, every 5 years or so we do get enough snow to go play. I have read about a few good sledding hills here and thought I might try to hunt them this weekend. Question, where is the best place to start? Top of hill, bottom of hill or the entire hill? The area I want to try is the dam of a small lake built in the 50's. Thanks

Question, where is the best place to start? Top of hill, bottom of hill or the entire hill? The area I want to try is the dam of a small lake built in the 50's. Thanks

Not sure why, but the three Merc dimes I found on this one sledding hill we’re about midway between top and bottom. Maybe due to a sledder taking a spill, then rolling down while coins escaped their pocket?

No hills here and very rarely snows. I worked on the beach for a while today and put on a long sleeve shirt due to the wind.

Like anywhere I suppose,. If you hit a sledding hill that was used over years. Especially used long ago you may have a "honey hole". When I was a kid in the 60's we'd go toboganing, the family, relatives and friends at an aunt's few acres of old corn fields.
My wife and I noticed last couple winters past, as we drive by Snow covered hills and neighborhood hills we never see kids sledding anymore! Nor do we see tracks on nice looking hills? I think it's an era gone by. Years ago we'd see kids out in the snow where ever there was a hill. Sad.

Think about where people will be taking gloves off to help their children get bundled up, etc. Where would they be rubbing their hands together to warm up while their kids are sledding?

Generally that would be the top of the hill, although the bottom is where people may fall off or get off their sled.

Of course, the top of the hill also is where people will drop their foil and pull tabs.

I hit a sledding hill a couple of years ago, but the best finds were much older. I did find a class ring, which I managed to find the owner, and a modern silver quarter, but the good stuff was a 2 reale in great shape, a silver ring from the 1800s, a button from 1876, and about 30 balls of canister shot. Another sledding hill just as old I found absolutely nothing. You just never know.

Back
Top Bottom