166 year old house....

John Madill

Elite Member
My dental hygientist asked me what's new this morning and i told her my new hobby was metal detecting.

She said she lives in an 1854 Greek Revival farm house and suggested it might be a good place to go detecting.

She thought her son who is 14 likes history and would probably enjoy hunting too.

I told her when i get up to speed with the machine i would enjoy detecting her yard with her son's help.

She thought it would be fun for him.

So what is usually done with any finds in a situation like this?

Finders, Keepers? Goodies go to homeowner, or a split?

John, if you have that great permission, I wouldn't wait. Maybe take your machine on a couple of test runs, but that's about it. Get out there and GO!

Maybe take the young man along with you and let him do some digging/uncovering of the finds, or let him handle the pinpointer

As far as splits, personally I'd tell the young man that we will split the goodies - then see what he is the most excited about. It may not be the same items that you are interested in. Regardless, if a kid wants some goodies then it would be worth more to me to make him happy than bringing home an old coin or two

Plus - he may grow tired of it and you may end up having free reign to the whole estate, who knows?

In situations like this, I always just tell the property owner : " You're welcome to whatever I find ". And I have NEVER had anyone confiscate and take all the finds. Like if there's any particular key coin or token, I'll push that one to the side, and say : "This is one I don't have for my collection yet. Can this one be mine ?" And I've never had someone say "no".

The minute you start talking about splits ahead of time, is the minute it starts to create image problems. Eg.: Images of $$ and wealth and legal issues. So rather than do that, just treat it as a hobby, and tell them they're welcome to whatever turns up.

JMHO.

My dental hygientist asked me what's new this morning and i told her my new hobby was metal detecting.

She said she lives in an 1854 Greek Revival farm house and suggested it might be a good place to go detecting.

She thought her son who is 14 likes history and would probably enjoy hunting too.

I told her when i get up to speed with the machine i would enjoy detecting her yard with her son's help.

good luck with permission... I offer whatever I find and all of them refused to want anything.. its up to you what you do.. just make sure you cut a clean plus and make it look like you were never there...

For me it’s simple . I don’t bring up the subject. If they do and want my finds or want to cherry pick them I do not detect the property.

I pretty much always go in with the attitude that since it's their property, then it's rightfully their stuff. As such, I always show them what I have found and offer it up to them. But like most others have already stated, not once has anyone taken me up on the offer. They do like seeing what I have found though...and one gentleman "jokingly" (?) said that when I find that missing pot of gold, we will split it 50/50. I told him that I was good with that. :)

For me it’s simple . I don’t bring up the subject. If they do and want my finds or want to cherry pick them I do not detect the property.

Much better your way than to lie, cheat and steal by failing to show all finds, as some here openly advocate.

Much better your way than to lie, cheat and steal by failing to show all finds, as some here openly advocate.

Yup this question comes up a lot and the answers are often ridiculous. I commented on a similar post a while back and told the story about a friend of mine who found an incredibly rare and valuable British Rev War cartridge box plate on a permission. The owner wandered over to check their finds and just took the plate ; no asking, no thank you , no nothing! Several years later another detecting acquaintance went unknowingly to same property and the owner gave him the Ok . The owner then says if you find another of those “badges “ let me know , I had one and my wife threw it out when she cleaned out the junk drawer.
So call me whatever ,but to me fun is finding and enjoying my finds , not handing them over . Call me selfish but you can bet all the stuff detectorists turn over will meet the same fate as that incredible plate from the Saratoga campaign.

It runs the gamut from "get it in writing ahead of time" to "just deal with it IF they even ask for any of the finds. Most of the time people dont even ask what we find, let alone ask for items found. Only twice I've had someone snag an item I found - one a merc, the other a skeleton key. Not a big deal on either item, but may be if something super unique was found. I like Tom's response of "I dont have this one in my collection yet, may I have that one?" Lay claim to it first, most people would feel a bit awkward saying NO, I want that! lol

I have only had two people give me permission and then say "I get what ever you Find." For some reason i have never found the time to go detect their property. If i find something that i think a land owner would like i offer it to them. So far no takers.

Usually you detect to find stuff for yourself unless specifically asked to find something. You spent money time and effort to get a machine and learn. There are occasions where splitting finds is common especially for a site with great potential. Also common for me is if anything of significant value(i usually set a price around over $100 or $200) will be either sold and split or bought out by the side who wishes to keep it. BUT in this case with her son involved I would myself give most of the finds to the son and get him hooked on swinging and history!

I agree with the post urging hunting it ASAP. I can remember many situations where a secondary person, such as a spouse, puts the stops on the permission. A conversation to friends can do the same thing. I admit, if someone told me the situation, I would lean toward giving cautious advise. Jm2c

A couple of suggestions John. You mentioned being new to the hobby. With this generous permission, you want to definitely avoid leaving the homeowner with a bad feeling about you and the hobby.

So, practice neat recovery techniques in your own back yard until you are confident that you can leave a dug spot with hardly a trace that you've dug a plug and replaced it after the recovery. Using a ground cloth (small dish towel, rag or bandanna) to place the soil on that you've removed from the hole will allow you to pour it all back in, replace the plug and not leave a mess where you've dug. A homeowner that sees you doing this would most likely appreciate your taking this care and be more inclined to invite you back and speak positively of you to others (neighbors, friends, etc) who could be potential new permissions.

Good luck.

I agree with the post urging hunting it ASAP. I can remember many situations where a secondary person, such as a spouse, puts the stops on the permission. A conversation to friends can do the same thing. I admit, if someone told me the situation, I would lean toward giving cautious advise. Jm2c

OR, another MDer happens upon the place and gets to hit it first. :shock:

Definitely hunt it soon. Recently I had received permission to hunt a 100 year old farm. Permission was received from the wife. Before I could start swinging, her husband came over and said I could not hunt for personal reasons. He wasn’t angry but it was clear... no hunting. I thanked him and moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom