Nazi Era Belt Buckle - Veteran’s Souvenir

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I got a new permission recently on a former home site where the house shows up on a late-1800’s map. The house is gone, the surrounding ground is leased out as farm fields, and the home site itself is overgrown and difficult to hunt - not just because of the under and over growth, but also because of an unfortunate prevalence of modern trash (cans, bottle tops, and miscellaneous other junk). I hunted it a few times over the last few days for an hour or two at a time, and although good finds are few and far between, I come away with enough interesting finds each trip to keep coming back.

On my first trip out, I found a post-1902 General Service button (see pics below), so I had already guessed this was likely the home of a veteran. Today, I got over a rather jumpy high tone (28-34 VDI on the EQ800) - it almost passed it up as another can, but something about the signal sounded just a little more consistent than the average can on the site, so I convinced myself to dig. Just a couple inches down, I dug out a large, thick, dirt encrusted disk - and I was shocked to see a swastika prominent right on the center of the object. I really wasn’t sure what I had found - was it some sort of Nazi medal? Or maybe some old emblem from the days when a swastika was a harmless good luck symbol? Right out of the ground, I could tell by the heft and corrosion that it was made of aluminum:

CB18E79A-4322-4787-B74C-0498303BCF5A.jpg

2F8B999E-D3FD-46EE-B979-B004AAE3CAF7.jpg

Once I got the item home, I went to work cleaning off the dirt, and I quickly realized I had a belt buckle. I was soon able to see the inscription “DRGM 36” on the back between the hooks - through the wonders of Google, I had an ID in a matter of moments: an RAD (Reichsarbeitsdienst, or Reich Labor Service) officer’s belt buckle, most likely issued in 1936! Apparently, one of the former residents of the home was a WWII veteran who brought this artifact home as a souvenir - man, would I ever love to hear the story of how he acquired it!!

Cleaning the buckle was a multi-step process and took some time and care. First I rinsed it in soapy water to knock most of the dirt off, then I hit it with liberal amounts of baking soda. There was still a lot of corrosion left after the baking soda, and it almost looks like someone drove a nail through the buckle and broke it off in place:

776D6D91-D166-4580-9520-959D1C904B14.jpg

56E07D61-C1ED-4B16-A36B-6EA33A0B3F6C.jpg

Next, I went ahead and used some naval jelly rust remover, covering the whole buckle with the stuff and rubbing it in with my fingers and a toothbrush. I let it stand for 10 minutes, rinsed with water, and hit it again with baking soda to neutralize the acid from the naval jelly and clean a little more. I rinsed it one more time, gave it an acetone bath, and here are the final results:

91B617A6-4B58-45F0-B1BE-244163A8E221.jpg

9628591E-7BC5-4CEA-AB09-E1C4CD234DCE.jpg

FE9820C2-D41D-4B60-A43F-4361DAB8FD19.jpg

928B87FF-CF7C-4E9D-AA62-D4E7DD5B7FD2.jpg

Lastly, for anyone interested, here is some info on the RAD from Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reich_Labour_Service

Also here is a website and a couple of pictures showing the buckle on a RAD officer’s uniform with a creepy mannequin from a museum:

Attachments

• 70D972F9-DC71-4742-9896-80A95B73F1ED.jpg
    70D972F9-DC71-4742-9896-80A95B73F1ED.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 693
  • 0FA74B3E-4A68-45F2-837F-CC07B6EFE088.jpg
    0FA74B3E-4A68-45F2-837F-CC07B6EFE088.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 680
Beautiful!
always a pleasure to find :good:

This early aluminum RAD Officers Belt Buckle by Assmann 1936 year

The obverse depicts a RAD logo, which consists of: a mobile swastika above an upright spade shovel head, this lies on a circular pebbled background which is encircled by a pebbled ring and five wheat leaves on a line type pattern and is then encircled by a smooth boarder.
The back is also stamped reading: "A DRGM 36" (F. W. Assmann & Soehne, Lüdenscheid Deutsches Reiches Gebrauchs Musterschutz 1936)

Nice recover Ben! Congrats and Fantastic job cleaning it. All the background and research makes a very interesting story, thank you.

That is a piece of history that is Unbelievably wow! The stories I could tell, and the untold stories of how did it get here. Glad to hear that you are on a new permission. I hope that it brings you many more surprises.

Ben, congrats ! Your new permission sounds very promising. The belt buckle although dubious in nature is still an awesome find. Probably a bit of shrapnel thats stuck in there. Now thats something to ponder. Good luck with your new site. Mark

Beautiful!
always a pleasure to find :good:

This early aluminum RAD Officers Belt Buckle by Assmann 1936 year

The obverse depicts a RAD logo, which consists of: a mobile swastika above an upright spade shovel head, this lies on a circular pebbled background which is encircled by a pebbled ring and five wheat leaves on a line type pattern and is then encircled by a smooth boarder.
The back is also stamped reading: "A DRGM 36" (F. W. Assmann & Soehne, Lüdenscheid Deutsches Reiches Gebrauchs Musterschutz 1936)

Thanks Lett, that’s great extra information - right down to the specific manufacturer. Very cool!

That's a neat and unexpected find. Cleaned up nice.

Ken

Thanks KenG - it sure surprised the heck out of me! At first, I seriously wondered if it was just some sort of early “good luck” kind of emblem - I certainly would never expect a Nazi buckle at an Ohio homesite, but I’m thrilled with the interesting and unique historical find!

Awesome find and great job cleaning it up !

Thanks Chuck! I was really pleased with the cleaning - that naval jelly worked extremely well! The bottle actually specifically says it shouldn’t be used on aluminum, but I’ve had nothing but good luck with it on my corroded aluminum tokens and decided to give it a try.

Awesome!!!

Thanks RRF!

Nice recover Ben! Congrats and Fantastic job cleaning it. All the background and research makes a very interesting story, thank you.

Thanks Charlie! It’s definitely one of my favorite finds for the year - despite the obvious negative connotation, it’s just a unique and deeply historical piece, and the research was interesting as well. I had no idea that a Reich Labor Service existed, so I learned some WWII history along the way as well.

That is a piece of history that is Unbelievably wow! The stories I could tell, and the untold stories of how did it get here. Glad to hear that you are on a new permission. I hope that it brings you many more surprises.

Thanks Dan! The buckle sure is dripping with interesting history, and it could sure tell some stories. I really wish I could talk to the guy who brought it back to add to the narrative!

Very unique, thanks for sharing!

Thanks matmit - I’m glad you enjoyed looking!

That is such a cool find! Awesome job on cleaning it up and thanks for sharing your cleaning process! Congrats!

Thanks Barefoot! I was truly surprised how well it turned out - the corrosion looked bad enough that I figured there was no way to help it. The naval jelly and baking soda did a fabulous job!

Ben, congrats ! Your new permission sounds very promising. The belt buckle although dubious in nature is still an awesome find. Probably a bit of shrapnel thats stuck in there. Now thats something to ponder. Good luck with your new site. Mark

Whoa!!! It had never crossed my mind that the iron chunk could be shrapnel, but that makes a lot of sense! Very tantalizing possibility!! How cool would that be?? Agreed, despite the negative connotations, it’s definitely an important and fascinating historical piece - serving to remind us all of a history that should never be repeated.

Back
Top Bottom