revelations, disappointments, pull tabs and inner peace

StPetePaulie

So I often wonder ...just how many pull tabs will I have to dig before one of them is a gold ring? Today I thought I had found my answer...but instead I only found that I had to dig 680 of them before I found a gold colored pull ring for something that requires a pull ring. So the experiment continues. Also any AT Pro users out there no how to tell the difference between a pull tab and a gold ring....before digging it up ? Honestly, I won't believe you if you say you do....at least not a first...but I am pretty skeptical in general. Someone asked me what I found on the beach today......I said "inner peace but that's about it".

So I often wonder ...just how many pull tabs will I have to dig before one of them is a gold ring? Today I thought I had found my answer...but instead I only found that I had to dig 680 of them before I found a gold colored pull ring for something that requires a pull ring. So the experiment continues. Also any AT Pro users out there no how to tell the difference between a pull tab and a gold ring....before digging it up ? Honestly, I won't believe you if you say you do....at least not a first...but I am pretty skeptical in general. Someone asked me what I found on the beach today......I said "inner peace but that's about it".

Not the AT Pro, but on the AT Max, you can pick out some of them. They have a distinct sound that is so repetitive when you're finding lots of them, that I can even pick out which ones are colored. (They ring up 3 points higher on the VDI).

I still dig some, but not as many as I did with the AT Pro.

Skippy

The only thing THE KOB can tell you that works 100% of the time is this : If a hot girl walks up and asks "What's the best thing you ever found ?" I reply "You". Icebreaker that works every time.

Not the AT Pro, but on the AT Max, you can pick out some of them. They have a distinct sound that is so repetitive when you're finding lots of them, that I can even pick out which ones are colored. (They ring up 3 points higher on the VDI).

I still dig some, but not as many as I did with the AT Pro.

Skippy

Yeah it is pretty fun (in my head) to call "Painted Pull Tab" when it's a few points higher than a regular silver one... I can finally tell the difference between the pull tabs and nickels...most the time.....and nickels are dramatic....they are hardly ever exactly where they are supposed to be !

The only thing THE KOB can tell you that works 100% of the time is this : If a hot girl walks up and asks "What's the best thing you ever found ?" I reply "You". Icebreaker that works every time.

Really KOB? Really ? 'cause that sounds more like something that would register on the "eew" factor meter.....I will stick with "inner peace" or "that I really like being on the beach" .....no 'eew' factor and also an open and friendly statement..but ummmm thanks for the advice....LOL.

i can tell the differance very slight tone
of coarse with 1000s of hours of practice
just like digging bottle caps with foil
or the corona caps takes many years to master a machine.. :D

Really KOB? Really ? 'cause that sounds more like something that would register on the "eew" factor meter.....I will stick with "inner peace" or "that I really like being on the beach" .....no 'eew' factor and also an open and friendly statement..but ummmm thanks for the advice....LOL.

You can be a hero or a zero. Better than some fake dating website. Bars are basically closed. Eew factor ? Yeah , if your a doofus. Lol...THE KOB has many detecting tips on how to score. In more ways than one ! Back to your question. I haven't found how to distinguish pulltabs from gold. But apparently you AT guys can do that. Now I read you can even tell the color of the tabs ! This is amazing. Is it skill ? Or is the machine modded ? I learn something new everyday here. 🤣

I can't tell the difference and I would guess that most hunters can't either. That means that finding pull-tabs is a good thing, I think, but 680?- wow!
:wow:
However, I have found more gold rings above and below the nickel/pull tab range. My best rings have been in the zinc penny range (18/19/20 on the Nox). :yes:

Can’t tell when it’s in the sand but the heavy clunking in the scoop is surely an exciting sound!

You can be a hero or a zero. Better than some fake dating website. Bars are basically closed. Eew factor ? Yeah , if your a doofus. Lol...THE KOB has many detecting tips on how to score. In more ways than one ! Back to your question. I haven't found how to distinguish pulltabs from gold. But apparently you AT guys can do that. Now I read you can even tell the color of the tabs ! This is amazing. Is it skill ? Or is the machine modded ? I learn something new everyday here. 🤣
I mean I get it KOB. If you are a single guy, for sure take every shot you get. Now I'm not single.....'cause not all websites are fake....well...at least not 13 years ago. I could totally make a new friend with my winning smile and my carefree attitude and my brilliant conversational abilities.....I would also put interesting decals on my machine....and wear conservation shirts....LOL...or whatever it takes..including but not limited to taking advice from the KOB...for sure. I also love talking smack to people....can't help it. But YES....you can totally tell the difference in pull tab painted vs not painted...no modifications....no skill involved...no joy involved...but at least I don't expect a 14k ring when it reads a solid 58 anymore on my AT Pro....helps manage disappointment levels. Which is also a dating/relationship skill....managing disappointment levels......LOL. I don't know the gold vs pull tab skill.....makes me wonder if maybe the KOB is pulling my leg.

Can’t tell when it’s in the sand but the heavy clunking in the scoop is surely an exciting sound!

it sure is.....and one day.....it will be something good and clunky.....not just something clunky mixed in with a pull tab.....hopefully.

.... any AT Pro users out there no how to tell the difference between a pull tab and a gold ring....before digging it up ? ....

St-Pete-Paulie : I have heard and seen a few hunters over the years claim that the difference between gold rings and aluminum can be learned. They'll claim that there is a sound or tone difference (if you listen real hard). Or a graph system for machines with graphs, etc.... Of course they'll say it's not 100% (certain items still fool them), but otherwise much improved odds.

There's a simple way to put a stop to such nonsense : Simply invite the person out to the nearest urban blighted park and turn them loose. See how much gold they can dig, while leaving a majority of aluminum in the ground. They will never accept this challenge, and their claims will turn to the sound of crickets.

To whatever extent you can discern a tonal difference between certain gold rings and certain aluminum objects, might make some people THINK there is a "difference". But what they're failing to take into account is : SO TOO is there a difference between each gold ring and each aluminum object. Doh !

Also, the secret recipe to getting more gold rings is not to "dig aluminum till your arms fall off" (the punishing ratios). Instead, the recipe is Location location location.

Go figure if you're at any park where picnicking (eating and drinking) is going on, well go figure that means foil (food wrap), and aluminum (soda cans ). And if the park has BBQ ability (or camp fire pits), then factor in molten aluminum nuggets (for when people toss their cans on the fires). So any place with picnicking or BBQ'ing is NOT the place to be a hero and angle for gold rings. Instead go to swim beaches, or sports type turf.

I can't tell the difference and I would guess that most hunters can't either. That means that finding pull-tabs is a good thing, I think, but 680?- wow!
:wow:
However, I have found more gold rings above and below the nickel/pull tab range. My best rings have been in the zinc penny range (18/19/20 on the Nox). :yes:

I think the 680 number is indicative of dry sand hunting vs wet or water hunting. I am hunting more wet sand as I get a little better with my AT PRO....but it's so long between signals....have to get used to that. I am not ready to buy a water machine but I have reason to hope that the Garrett Sea Hunter I loaned out a few years ago may find it's way back to me soon....and that, I think, would coax me out into the water....as well as tiring of pull tabs....once I reach my goal of 1000, of course...LOL...don't know if that's an accomplishment goal to be proud of.....no....it's not....I know it's not. The only gold I have found has been attached to or mixed with silver...so far...and that all rings up in the 60's and 70's mostly.

St-Pete-Paulie : Of course they'll say it's not 100% (certain items still fool them), but otherwise much improved odds.

Also, the secret recipe to getting more gold rings is not to "dig aluminum till your arms fall off" (the punishing ratios). Instead, the recipe is Location location location.

Instead go to swim beaches, or sports type turf.

right Tom. Dig Dig Dig

If I had dug that many pull tabs in something other than beach sand, I would have sold my detector by now....because I wouldn't be able to swing it anymore I imagine.

That's all I do.....but it sure is a trashy beach....and I don't mind that too much....I've found enough silver and cool items to keep me interested. I am keeping a count though of the pulltabs and when I get to the gold ring finally, I will post the ratio......sometime soon.....I'm sure...!

i can tell the differance very slight tone
of coarse with 1000s of hours of practice
just like digging bottle caps with foil
or the corona caps takes many years to master a machine.. :D

Lord those corona caps are everywhere and the ones with foil sound a lot like a dime....bottle cap count this year since June is 1180. Thing is I can always tell it's a bottle cap....but I still have to dig it...because sometimes you dig a bottle cap and realize it was masking an additional signal....granted it is usually just another bottle cap....but sometimes it's a quarter next to a nickel next to a dime...so....gotta check it out....only way for me to make it interesting is to have a goal....so 1500 bottle caps for the year is my goal.

I am always listening for that pull tab sound that is just a little different...but haven't heard it yet.....so maybe when I do....then I will understand the difference between pull tab and gold. time will tell.....do doubt. hmm...I guess I could just do some testing at home ... DOH ! why didn't I think of that ?!

.... That's all I do.....but it sure is a trashy beach........

An ocean beach ? Or a freshwater lake beach ? If it's an ocean beach, then try hunting the wet sand after storm erosion. Mother nature will take all the lightweight aluminum out, leaving only the heavier targets.

If it's a freshwater lake beach, are you sure it's a "swimming" beach ? Because not all "beaches" are the same. I can think of a few fishing lakes near me (which, yes, have "beaches"), yet no one swims in the lakes. They are strictly fishing and partying beaches. So the beach has to be one where sunbathing and wading are going on. Not just simply a "beach".

An ocean beach ? Or a freshwater lake beach ? If it's an ocean beach, then try hunting the wet sand after storm erosion. Mother nature will take all the lightweight aluminum out, leaving only the heavier targets.

Yes, it is a heavily swam swimming and partying beach....I mean afterall it's St Pete FL. Lots of drinking going on as well. Yes I am trying more of the wet sand after minimal storm erosion strategy but most days there is no storm erosion.....and I spend about 30 min in the wet sand and 90 in the dry before it's time to go to work. I need to work on that ratio....the boredom of no signals in the wet sand.....and the challenges of AT PRO wet beach sand hunting get to me after awhile. I imagine one nice gold ring would change that boredom to anticipation. So I am working on flipping that ratio. Tell you what I will do. Next time I go....which will be Monday....though maybe I will wait til Tuesday...anyways next week I will pick a day and only hunt the wet sand for the full 2 hours and see how it goes. I will, of course, report back.

With the At pro I have found gold rings at shallow depth have a solid vdi (not jumpy). The audio is also solid not scratchy or double beep like a pulltabs can be.
Location is key. But if I'm in the mood I would dig a bunch of pulltabs but very rarely do I do that!

sorry Tom....yes a salt water gulf coast ocean beach ....lots of cabanas...lots of umbrellas....lots of people.....walking.....sunbathing.....swimming....horsing around....you know......all the things that make you lose some stuff.

With the At pro I have found gold rings at shallow depth have a solid vdi (not jumpy). The audio is also solid not scratchy or double beep like a pulltabs can be.
Location is key. But if I'm in the mood I would dig a bunch of pulltabs but very rarely do I do that!

Most of the pulltabs I dig are pretty solid....even some deep ones....granted "deep" only means 6 or 8 inches....haven't measured it....but I think that's about right. I think the location is key like you say. I need to stay in the wet sand to avoid so many pulltabs as they would get washed away...the dry sand just collects them.....and holds them for me. I am going to set up a test at home....and maybe on the beach too....to see if I can recreate what you are saying about the differences. Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom