Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Old 10-14-2020, 06:59 PM

Default Help with identification of find

First time out and found these items on the North Shore of Lake Michigan on the IL WI border. I know there were wrecks up and down that coast but no clue if these are from them. First one I was told was a crib spike, the others I have no clue. Any help would be great.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2020, 09:12 PM
Supporter

Looks like a bent strap more than any crib spike I've seen. You could try electrolysis to see if it cleans them out.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:06 AM

Thank you very much. I sent one into marine historical society and they said the same thing about electrolysis. Said the bent one is similar to captains hooks they have seen in mid 1800's wrecks. The woman was very adamant that is what is was even though I asked for other examples. Can this be correct? Also she said the third one is part of a pewter cup or something. I cut the end off and it was pewter. Any ideas?

Old 10-15-2020, 12:09 AM

Default More information.

Thank you very much. I sent one into marine historical society and they said the same thing about electrolysis. Said the bent one is similar to captains hooksthey have seen in mid 1800's wrecks. The woman was very adamant that is what is was even though I asked for other examples. Can this be correct? The spike I was advised could be anything from old to a concrete spike so no help there. Also she said the third one is part of a pewter cup or something. I cut the end off and it was pewter. Any ideas?

I dug these up about a foot under the sand on the beach where the old shoreline use to be. There are a few wrecks from the mid 1700's to early 1900's. Would love to learn if its worth going back and finding more.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:15 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by NorILBeachSweep View post

I dug these up about a foot under the sand on the beach where the old shoreline use to be. There are a few wrecks from the mid 1700's to early 1900's. Would love to learn if its worth going back and finding more.
I would definitely say if you found these pieces and ship wrecks can be nearby, go back! Things like storms and time move everything. So you could be close to more.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:59 PM

Try soaking in a molasses and water mixture for a few weeks. Iím not sure of the exact recipe but you could Google it. It works super well for cleaning up old iron and steel. Probably on Youtube too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
lake michigan, spike