New thread from the Castle...day 1 & 2 final results now posted!

I was thinking up-close it looks sort of...busy. But against the tree it dang near disappears! And yes, that dusting of black to subdue it works wonders. Awesome job, KT!

I was thinking up-close it looks sort of...busy. But against the tree it dang near disappears! And yes, that dusting of black to subdue it works wonders. Awesome job, KT!

Royal Thanks, TorqueMaster! And yes, we get so used to mown grass and neatly trimmed bushes that we forget just how busy nature is! Just look at some uncontrolled growth and it is mighty busy! :lol::lol: KT's Royal Castle is surrounded by those kind of woods!

great job they look awesome! never understood camo guns though....just seems like a good way to lose it haha, or at least I would. I lost a hunter orange knife....... camo would just up and disappear on me soon as I set it down to gut a deer haha.

great job they look awesome! never understood camo guns though....just seems like a good way to lose it haha, or at least I would. I lost a hunter orange knife....... camo would just up and disappear on me soon as I set it down to gut a deer haha.

Ha ha! When KT worked years ago, He left a green backpack sitting on a clump of grass and up and forgot about it. Eventually did get it back because it had the Royal Business card in it! From then on, when working, KT used an orange backpack....still have it today. But have also a camo backpack if He needs to be stealthy! And Royal Thanks for your comments!

Totally awesome results ! It sure blended in with that tree !

Royal Thanks, Soil Surgeon! That's the thing about camo patterns and colors. Some have good patterns but not appropriate color for the area one lives in. KT would not paint a set of desert colors on any of His Royal Long Guns as When He hunts, its always in the southern pine and mixed hardwood forests. And even tho that pattern is decent for comparison to tree bark from a distance of a few feet, there are some much better patterns that blend with tree bark.

Last edited:
never understood camo guns though....just seems like a good way to lose it haha, or at least I would.

That is always a possibility, of course. Look at it this way, black is not a color one sees much in nature, and most animals have much sharper vision than humans. So, even if you sit still in the woods, when you raise your gun to shoot a deer, turkey, crow, squirrel or rabbit, they see something moving that does not look natural, so off they go! If you are hunting ground birds like grouse, dove, quail etc., you don't need it, as you or a dog flush them out and you shoot while they are flying. Some duck hunters like camo for their guns and boats, but others hidden in blinds, don't care. Blinds are a type of camo.

Of course, if you are in the military, the entire reason for camo is to prevent others from seeing you, especially when you can observe them. Camo has saved many lives. And the reason there are so many camo patterns is to match the environement you are in. Grassland, forest, high forest(like aspens), desert, jungle, snow, urban areas are all some examples.

Many of our troops in Vietnam custom painted their own weapons, and that probably led to the popularity of the use of camo paint today.

Today KT pulled the string on another long gun to paint!

After hours of YouTube videos, and 4 hours on and off the telephone to local dealers, along with an unfruitful visit to a local pawn shop, KT finally found the next long gun and it is new no less! And it was the last one in stock in central Arkansas!

KT studied many different makes and models and settled on a Henry AR-7 US Survival .22 lr semi-auto. There are 2 models available, one in black and one in camo for an additional $40. This is a very fun plinker and will not break the Royal Treasury to run some cartridges through. Once painted...next week sometime unless the temps are too cold...KT will take some time to learn which brands and loads of rim fired shells it likes the best. So KT will, in the following weeks, be doing some target shooting to hone His Royal Aim and overall shooting skills. It may be painted before winter comes on full tilt, but if not, then next Spring will be ok too! :D:D:lol::lol::lol:

Also ordered a 3rd magazine off eBay today. :D

Pictures will follow of the stock unpainted rifle in the next couple of days. KT is thinking a tree bark pattern would be suitable.

That is always a possibility, of course. Look at it this way, black is not a color one sees much in nature, and most animals have much sharper vision than humans. So, even if you sit still in the woods, when you raise your gun to shoot a deer, turkey, crow, squirrel or rabbit, they see something moving that does not look natural, so off they go! If you are hunting ground birds like grouse, dove, quail etc., you don't need it, as you or a dog flush them out and you shoot while they are flying. Some duck hunters like camo for their guns and boats, but others hidden in blinds, don't care. Blinds are a type of camo.

Of course, if you are in the military, the entire reason for camo is to prevent others from seeing you, especially when you can observe them. Camo has saved many lives. And the reason there are so many camo patterns is to match the environement you are in. Grassland, forest, high forest(like aspens), desert, jungle, snow, urban areas are all some examples.

Many of our troops in Vietnam custom painted their own weapons, and that probably led to the popularity of the use of camo paint today.

military I understand, never had a problem hunting though. I find not directly staring at the animal or walking like a predator before you bring your gun up to shoot seems to work better. It is like they can feel you looking at em and sizing em up in my experience. But acting like a grass eater it doesn't matter if most things see you or not, you are not perceived as a threat. Then again I don't hunt stuff that seems to care as much like turkey and such.

military I understand, never had a problem hunting though. I find not directly staring at the animal or walking like a predator before you bring your gun up to shoot seems to work better. It is like they can feel you looking at em and sizing em up in my experience. But acting like a grass eater it doesn't matter if most things see you or not, you are not perceived as a threat. Then again I don't hunt stuff that seems to care as much like turkey and such.

That is a good strategy, for certain. If you ever go predator hunting, like coyotes, they will spot that black stick movement from essentially out of range. Look at a coyote's fur markings and coloration...beautiful camoflage for its typical environment!

Back
Top Bottom