1888 Indian Cent Error

mxtswinger

Elite Member
I am hoping we have an experienced coin collector in the bunch who can explain this error, I was hoping at first that it was the 8/7 overstrike but I've given up on that. It doesn't seem to match any of the Snow variations either. Die break? Extraneous material? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN3266B.jpg
    DSCN3266B.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 973
  • DSCN3265B.jpg
    DSCN3265B.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 835
  • DSCN3264B.jpg
    DSCN3264B.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 594
I know there was a 1888/1887 error. That could be what you have. If it is its worth a little change!!! Good find

"In 1969, Jim Ruddy stunned the numismatic world with the discovery of an 1888/7 overdate. A small portion of the 7 is visible under the left half of the final 8 of the date, inside the upper loop, and protruding from the upper left edge of the top loop. Various Die States exist; for example, Die State B has a large rim cud on the obverse above TE of UNITED. "

http://www.coinfacts.com//1888_indian_head_cents.htm

Only 23 known specimens... Holey Moley!!!! The last one was estimated at $5,000.... even in poor condition that is one heck of a valuable coin!!!! Awesome find! For the love of God, Don't clean it!!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks folks for the replies.I have already been through the above research and even though I am dreaming that it will be a rare die error, I know that it doesn't fit the criteria of the "known" 88/7 varieties. On this one there is a bar (for lack of a better word) over the last 8 versus an 8 over something else. I've registred at Rick Snow's (THE expert) forum http://www.fly-inclub.org/index.html but haven't received confirmation yet. I think he is away from home for a while. Thanks agan and I'll keep you posted.

It looks like it might just be some external damage, since there's some visible damage to the nearest denticle. I can't say for sure.

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom