• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Show me those CLOSEUPS

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
ZincLord's thread got me thinking. Half the fun of metal detecting is showing off your finds and you really don't see many articles on taking pictures of those finds. They also say a picture is worth a thousand words so let see some pictures.

Post your best closeup along with your cameras info and any tricks you used to get the picture. I'm headed to work but as soon as I get back I'll see what my camera can do.

Good website and helpful. I pretty much break a lot of his rules though :lol: I'm not professional, but I think I take decent pics (actually my wife does it most of the time). I really like the blue background for some reason. I just seems to offset the coins better than white. And I like having a small shadow to give depth to the coin. To each their own though. Here's one of my best shots of some of my friend's finds. BTW, I use a Sony digital camera on a tripod.

Attachments

• dancoins.JPG
    dancoins.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 275
Here,s something i found about a month ago,a little charm which is in quite good condition,just used my normal vid cam to take it (snap shot mode).I think it came out quite well

Attachments

• charm lock.jpg
    charm lock.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 263
I use a Nikon Coolpics 2100 digital, and my wife is a really good amateur photographer. She tells me that lighting is the key for taking good closeups of small items. Always use natural lighting rahter than indoor lighting. I usually use the cam in closeup mode, and will pose the items in natural lighting near a window, or even outside on the deck.

Attachments

• OF 3-11-06 Finds 2.JPG
    OF 3-11-06 Finds 2.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 226
  • Sandy Pond Medal 3-18-06.JPG
    Sandy Pond Medal 3-18-06.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 234
I'm still trying to master coin photography. I have a lot of experience in photography but coins are kinda tricky. These are my 2 oldest that I've found with the detector thus far. 1865 two cent piece and 1953-S Wheatie. I have a pretty expensive camera, a Nikon D50 Digital SLR, 6.1 megapixels I know it can take better pics than this, I just need to do some more playing around with the lighting. I use all manual settings, so getting the settings and lighting just right has been a bit tricky.

oldestcoins.jpg

I stole OkieDigger's blue backround idea, I really like how his photo turned out.

I updated the pic, just uploaded it in place of the old one to include the wheat cent I found today. I found using the flash allowed me to capture some better detail. :grin:

Next time I find something worth taking a picture of, I'm going to try using a different light source. I've been using a 75w soft white light bulb in a "spot light" desk clip on light. It works fairly well, but I think this 26w fluorescent I have might give the coins a better look.

Joe thanks for that link.
Here's 2 pics of our Australian $1 and $2 dollar coins when i'm hunting manicured lawns and parks i turn my discriminator right up so all i will pick up is the $1 and $1 dollar coins doesn't take long before you have $30 dollars or more.
Camera i have is the Panasonic FZ20 it has a built in steady mode so i don't need tripods has a good Macro feature and biggest zoom.
When i'm taking photo's of my finds i usually put them on top of my TV which is close to a big picture window so there's plenty of light.
:grin: tassie

Attachments

• $1.00.JPG
    $1.00.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 201
  • $2.00.JPG
    $2.00.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 199
Here is a close-up
I use a Kyocera finecam s5 (5 mega pixals) Bought it in Iraq. I use the Macro setting acout 10 inches away. I am trying to come up with a stand that shoots down. I have to resize my pictures in half or more to get them to upload.

Attachments

• liberty.jpg
    liberty.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 201
Nice shot Jeff. BTW, I use a tripod that tilts straight down for my shots. You might try that.

Back
Top Bottom