• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

PA State Parks

nugetnut

A few guys I know who are into md told me when I expressed an intrest that you couldn't md hunt Pa State Parks. It took about 15 minutes of google and one phone call. I spoke with a the park mgr. at a State Park near me & he took all of my information and emailed me a permit to hunt. We went over some brief regulations, and that was it. Done deal

I now have my first permit/permission slip. I also have a new md & pinpointer enroute via Fedex.

Will be looking to set up a few more sites and doing it the right way, get permission

Don't waste your time. Did you not read? It's pointless. You are NOT allowed to keep anything that isn't junk and you are only allowed to try and retrieve shallow objects with a screw driver/ice pick. I live right next to a State Park and the Rangers have all told me it's not worth it.... It's totally up to you, but unless you want to find stuff for those lazy ass Rangers, get a permit for COUNTY parks. Better deal hunting in the county parks.

P.S...: I decided to give it a shot anyway when I first started to swing...what a waste of my day.

You have to get a permit for the State Park you're hunting... it's not valid at all states parks and it has stupid conditions. Furthermore, most woods and parks in Philadelphia are part of Fairmount Park -- which is off limits to metal detecting. They do not offer permits. Also, National Parks within PA are off limits too. In any event, good luck!

Why was it a waste? Because you had to turn in what you found, or you didn't find much.. Just wondering

I'm looking at it as a place to start to learn what the heck I'm doing. A 1000 plus acre's for me to learn my md (once it gets here).:grin:

I have also deer hunted this park for years and know my way around better than most rangers who hardley ever get more than 20 yards from their cars. A lot of neat old sites deep in the woods. Old stone walls, a few old foundations.. horse trails.. whats not to love??

i hunt state parks all the time, some don't require a permit. just call and ask whats needed

Why was it a waste? Because you had to turn in what you found, or you didn't find much.. Just wondering

I'm looking at it as a place to start to learn what the heck I'm doing. A 1000 plus acre's for me to learn my md (once it gets here).:grin:

I have also deer hunted this park for years and know my way around better than most rangers who hardley ever get more than 20 yards from their cars. A lot of neat old sites deep in the woods. Old stone walls, a few old foundations.. horse trails.. whats not to love??

I found a lot of great stuff, then the Ranger over my shoulder took it from me. I understand you're new, but when you start to find great things you will understand what I mean by it's a waste of time to do the work for others that don't care about the items. Some don't mind going through the work of recovering stuff and then turning it over to some lazy state workers that couldn't care less about the stuff and will most likely take it home. I knew that I was going to have to turn stuff over going into it, but it still sucked and I, personally, think it's a waste of time. Just my opinion....

I found a lot of great stuff, then the Ranger over my shoulder took it from me. I understand you're new, but when you start to find great things you will understand what I mean by it's a waste of time to do the work for others that don't care about the items. Some don't mind going through the work of recovering stuff and then turning it over to some lazy state workers that couldn't care less about the stuff and will most likely take it home. I knew that I was going to have to turn stuff over going into it, but it still sucked and I, personally, think it's a waste of time. Just my opinion....

thats strange cause i've never had rangers follow me or even care what i was finding, infact i stop and chit chat with them and alot of times they'll tell me about spots i might wanna check out. the only thing i was told was i couldn't hunt around any CCC camps or overnight camping areas. guess it all depends on which SP ya hunt

If I may ask a candid question.... If the ranger wasn't up your butt, would you have have turned in your findings?? maybe some of your findings??

If I may ask a candid question.... If the ranger wasn't up your butt, would you have have turned in your findings?? maybe some of your findings??

Yes, I'm no trouble maker. Your question doesn't seem to have anything to do with the fact that I don't think digging up stuff to give to lazy people is worth my time. It's all opinion....

I look at it this way.... They don't care about what's in the ground or they would go and look for it themselves. Why should I have to give over certain items simply because I found them there? If I find something historically significant to the park, of course I would hand it over. I don't sell my finds and a historically significant item does no one any good sitting in my house stashed with the other stuff I have found. The problem I have is when they take things that have no historical significance. The one time I detected a state park near me, they took everything except the tons of trash I dug. NOTHING historical was found.... I found 4 Merc dimes from the 1940's and some Tombac buttons. Those items DID NOT go in any display case at the park visitors center. The dimes and buttons went home with the Rangers. That was my issue. That is why I don't bother anymore. I'm not going to continually go back and then complain. I just don't hunt there....

TF,

As a newbie point of view, I agree with everthing you just said. Historical items that the park can benefit from, turn in. Coins, rings, trinkets, should go home with you.

Thanks for you point of view here. As of now, if the weather holds out I will give the park a shot and try to learn my new machine. I personally would just feel more comfortable being out on some trail alone dealing with my trial & error.

Maybe bring a few items to find and go over readings & signals and only have to worry about the squirles, chipmonks & deer wondering what the heck I'm doing.

Mark

Wow, that's really unfortunate...if an unscrupulous Ranger demanded I hand over non-historical finds, I'd have been tempted to turn around and throw that stuff as far and hard as I could into the woods!

Best of luck to the original poster of this thread.

TF,

As a newbie point of view, I agree with everthing you just said. Historical items that the park can benefit from, turn in. Coins, rings, trinkets, should go home with you.

Thanks for you point of view here. As of now, if the weather holds out I will give the park a shot and try to learn my new machine. I personally would just feel more comfortable being out on some trail alone dealing with my trial & error.

Maybe bring a few items to find and go over readings & signals and only have to worry about the squirles, chipmonks & deer wondering what the heck I'm doing.

Mark

Good luck in your pursuit of this amazing hobby!! If you need any tips, tricks, or help...just shoot me a pm. I am still learning everyday, but I'd be happy to pass on what I already know.

I've been to one right down the road from me and that was enough. I see your from SW Pa....things are a little different in my neck of the woods when it comes to metal detecting, at least in my immediate area. I have a permit for the county parks and don't bother because as soon as the rangers see me they bug me every 2 friggin' minutes to see the permit and waste my day. Things are different in every area. Knocking on doors around my township SUCKS!!! I go 30 miles down the road and 4/10 houses will say yes. I'm sure that if I went to another stat park I might not have the same experience, but I'm just not interested. It's cool that other parks aren't as ridiculous as the one I had that experience in.

I put my permit in a license holder on the back of my hat, kind of like you see fishermen do. I think that keeps people away in general. "Oh, he seems to have a license. He is probably legit"

Back
Top Bottom