A good find, but

bbqcook

Not metal, but I solved 2 mysterys. One for me and one for the city of Cary, NC, police Dept. I went up in the woods behind my house, and came across a old homestead where 2 chimneys about 5' tall were standing, afte digging all the nails, tin and rusty bars I wanted, I took a break and started just walking around. I found a cemetery of 4 graves. With 2 missing headstones. The last name of Carlton,
Someone was so kind enough about 2yrs ago to leave a headstone at the start of my driveway. I put it by my back porch, I didn't know what else to do with it. Well one of the footstones at the cemetery had the same initials as the headstone I had. I wrote the info from the stones that were there and when I got home, I went on some genealogy sites I use and started browsing the Carlton boards. I came across a posting that the Cary police Dept had a headstone for 2 yrs that was found at a Wendy's parking lot. After meeting with them at the site along with a Lady from the genealogy Society that records cemeterys for the county, it was concluded that this is where the 2 stones belong, names on headstones an initials on foot stones matched and They looked just like the ones there and fit perfect in their bases. So I made the cary police happy along with the family that has been looking this cemetery for about 30 yrs
So, no good metal, but a good find. they wanted me to do a thing on the local tv station, but I am not a TV person, so I declined
I hate this was so long, but I didn't know how to shorten it':shock:'

Great Job!

Great Story, I know the family must be elated that the stones are back in their rightful places. Years ago someone damaged my fathers stone by ripping a copper urn off it. (boy would I like to catch that person) It is also another great PR story for this great hobby. Well Done!

Great! You should have gone on TV and I could have seen you :yes:
pop

Hey what are you doing? Trying to make all the archeologists look bad? :lol: Aren't we all destroyers of property ? :shock: I'm in shock that a detectorist could be so kind as to do such a great deed . :shock: Thanks for sharing this great story bbq. It's people like you that make this hobby such a great one. Kudos to you and thanks for making us all look good. :yes: :yes:

I have been doing genealogy research for about 3 years and have been in many cemeteries jotting down notes and taking pictures of tombstones of relatives.

This is a great service you have done for this family. It helps to bring an end to a story that started many years ago.

Thanks Guys, but I don't think I did any thing, any of the rest of you wouldn't do.

I think I said that right :?:

It's nice to hear when something positive can be done by a detectorist, bbqcook, especially when it comes to respect of the dead. Thanks for sharing the story with us and thanks for taking the time to do what you did, you definitely did a great service to both the family and their loved one.

Back
Top Bottom