1865 Two Cent Piece and Silver Ring!

DoctorWhy

Went out searching in the fields around a mid-/late-1800's homestead cellar hole. There were plenty of aluminum can signals, but these two items 'rang true'!

The 1865 Two cent piece had a rotated die -- the obverse and reverse images are rotated by about 30 degrees. Not a valuable error, but interesting nevertheless...

Found one in not as nice condition a few years ago:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=248271

The silver ring weighs 1.52g, has no hallmarks, 'acid tests' as 80%, turning the test acid a brownish color. The ring also exhibits the 'diamagnetic' phenomena expected of silver: pass a very strong magnet close but not touching the ring and it moves perceptably...

I am curious of the approximate age of the ring -- old? -- modern?

Happy Hunting!
--Bert

Attachments

• TwoCentPiece-1865-RotatedDie-Smalls-4-2020_sm.jpg
    TwoCentPiece-1865-RotatedDie-Smalls-4-2020_sm.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 281
  • SilverRing_Smalls_4-2020_sm.jpg
    SilverRing_Smalls_4-2020_sm.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 235
Nice-looking 2-cent piece! I like the ring and it looks old. It's been awhile since I found any silver rings heading to the park in a little while take care.

More great finds.
I haven't found a 2 cent coin, yet..

The ring may be as old as the 2 cent or the spoon you found.
I don't think 80% is common and hasn't been for many years so this may indicate it is old.

Excellent find. I've found one and it was the same year and my oldest coin. Was using a Ace 250 when I found it. Needless to say I ruined it with water. It looked amazing until I tried to clean it. Lesson learned though and will only tooth pick most copper now.

Great finds, Bert. Not just a two-cent piece, but one with a rotated die! The silver band is definitely a good find, too! :thumbsup:

Real nice 2 Cent - congrats !

The Ring looks older to me - I'd take it to a local Jeweler and get their opinion.

Back
Top Bottom