• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Permission at a new spot

FliesOnly

I spoke with a local business owner whose buildings set on the site of a former railroad station. I asked if he'd be OK with me wandering around the property with my detector. He told me to go for it, and even gave me some advice on where to search.
The problem is that he has recently put up three new, very large buildings, and the amount of disturbance to the ground is almost overwhelming. Still, since there's nothing I can do about that, earlier today I walked around just to see if I'd find anything other than a cr@p-ton of junk metal (spikes, plates, bolts, etc) associated with an old, abandoned railroad.
Much to my delight, I found these two guys pretty quickly...1926 Wheatie and a 1902 Indian Head. I'm definitely going back when the weather improves, and be a little more thorough and meticulous in my searching.

Attachments

• Two Pennies.jpg
    Two Pennies.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 422
Looks like an interesting place to hunt! A year or two ago I spoke with in a lady in a small town. Her father owned the general store and post office, which was next to the town hotel, which was across the road from the train depot. The current owner of the property has been out on his porch recently, but with the pandemic I don't want to disturb him...and I know I'll be obligated to absorb yarns of the past. I'll have to rethink my strategy.

Looks like an interesting place to hunt! A year or two ago I spoke with in a lady in a small town. Her father owned the general store and post office, which was next to the town hotel, which was across the road from the train depot. The current owner of the property has been out on his porch recently, but with the pandemic I don't want to disturb him...and I know I'll be obligated to absorb yarns of the past. I'll have to rethink my strategy.

Don’t want to “absorb yarns of the past”?:lol: You and I think very much alike, I’m more of a “technical hunter” than following yarns of the past....
Don’t get me wrong, they COULD lead you somewhere, but for the few I’ve heard and followed....got me absolutely nowhere.

Some spots have a super-high-ratio of cr*p to weed through. So I would have just "left for greener grounds" long before that. You get double-points for your patience !

You and I think very much alike, I’m more of a “technical hunter” than following yarns of the past....
Don’t get me wrong, they COULD lead you somewhere, but for the few I’ve heard and followed....got me absolutely nowhere.

I hear you with the "technical hunter" thing. I just like to put my head down and focus on what the detector is trying to tell me, why a particular target is where it is, and what it tells me about how a place was used in the past. If you've ever seen Guardians of the Galaxy, the scanner device in the beginning of the movie that showed him what the ruined city look like in its day is exactly what I need!

Back
Top Bottom