Fast Hunt At Merc City

angellionel

Elite Member
I took the opportunity to head to “merc city” after work to test a mixed mode program for the DFX. The program itself is a challenge to use, especially with the amount of iron located at this particular site, but I gave it a good try. The program isn’t one I would use in an area that has even a moderate amount of trash, since the cacophony of tones would be maddening. Still, it did perform well at the site I worked today.

I found a 1918 merc, three wheaties, four gauge shells and a flattened lead bullet. The coins all were between seven and eight inches, but two of the gauge shells hit at a depth of just a little over 12 inches, with solid tones. I was glad I was using my small shovel to dig. The program is one I’m planning to use when detecting out in the woods for relics and coins.

Angel

coins040606.jpg

Just shells, I know, but they look nice when scanned. :D
finds040606.jpg

Yeah, the site has been very productive, especially with the mercury dimes. Back in May of last year, when I first hit the site, one of the trails near the abandoned baseball field produced over a dozen mercs within the first hour, in addition to several old wheaties, three dated 1909VDB, and a few V-nickels.

The various fields near that area have all produced silver, but they can only be detected in winter and early spring. The overgrowth, weeds and thorn bushes take over during the summer months. :shock:

I?m sure that there?s more stuff there, which is why I keep hitting it. :grin:

Angel

boot said:
How big is this "Merc City"? 

Very large. It has several open fields, surrounding wooded area, trails, etc. The abandoned baseball field, last used over 40-50 years ago, depending on which old-timer I talk to, no longer looks like one. It's overgrown with grass, weeds, small trees and such.

Angel

Sounds like a great place Angel. I'd hit it every chance I got. Need any help, lol! Great job, keep pulling those Mercs!

Ive been out of it for awhile, how many mercs have been plucked so far?

nice finds angel, hope they keep dinging for ya ;)

Angel, where about is this place, if you don't mind my asking? I'm not trying to steal anyone's area, I have my own spots, but it sounds great. I'm guessing it is in western Mass, with you from Springfield and all.

I've heard of clouds with a silver lining but I'm starting to believe in an Angel with a silver lining. :lol: J/K Congrats.

great finds congrats. I've been finding a lot of shotgun shell caps like that one on the upper left hand side. Found a few identical to it actually. Any idea how old those are?

Thanks guys!

mega said:
Ive been out of it for awhile, how many mercs have been plucked so far?

Total mercs so far this year - 19, but not all are from the "merc city" site.

ahardy17 said:
Angel, where about is this place, if you don't mind my asking? I'm not trying to steal anyone's area, I have my own spots, but it sounds great. I'm guessing it is in western Mass, with you from Springfield and all.

Actually, I hunt at many sites in MA and CT, not just limited to Western MA. It keeps it interesting.

Tsmola said:
great finds congrats. I've been finding a lot of shotgun shell caps like that one on the upper left hand side. Found a few identical to it actually. Any idea how old those are?

Not really sure about the age, but I think you may find this site of some help.

http://members.shaw.ca/cartridge-corner/shotgun.htm

I've been lazy about checking the ones I've found. :grin:

Angel

Back
Top Bottom